Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just traded my 03 katana 600 for an 02 daytona 955i with 11,000 miles, the previous owner said that the bike was sitting for 6 months and wouldnt start, oh by the way he traded the bike in at the car dealership i work at, but it wont start. i can hear the fuel pump running and sounds ok, i charged the battery and it is good as well, but the bike just wont start, it has a code for secondary air injection that i cant get to clear out with my scan tool. i pulled the tank and pulled the pump/filter plate off and drained the tank, it was full of mostly water not much gas, then i pulled the airbox top off to look into intake, it looks ok to me, i have never worked on these bikes before, when i spray starter fluid in the intake while cranking i can get the bike to start up, but when i put the tank back together and put gas in the bike now it will not start up and i dont know where to start now. also the 30 amp fuse next to the 30amp battery fuse was blown and i replaced that, on the fuse box cover the pic. for that fuse was a little lightning bolt, but that fuse has not blown again. please help me out?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
mrclean826, Don't use any throttle when starting. Is the neutral lamp lit? Does the oil pressure lamp extinguish whil cranking?

Brad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do have the bike in ntrl. when im trying to start it and it is indicated on the daSH, as far as the kickstand goes i tried starting the bike with the kickstand up and down, i am not sure if that makes a difference, and i also made sure the cutoff switch on the right hand is working properly, i flipped it off and the bike did nothing, i flipped it on and the bike lights up and cranks. i am not sure about the oil pressure light i cannot remember, but i think it does turn off when i am cranking, ld go check right now but the bike is at work and i am not there. i know i checked for oil and it seemed to have enough

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
The ECU sets everything for a start-up. Neither the '02 or the '04 D955i here will start, cold or hot, with any throttle applied...The '98 will w/slight throttle, but that's a compleatly different animal.

The first few spins at cold start-up are to ensure oil pressure and determine crankshaft position. The IAC then meters air.

Brad

PS Since it starts with ether, pull the fuel pump plate and make sure the fuel lines are all connected to the fuel filter. Good time to replce the filter and install hose clamps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
t,w i will be able to work on the bike some, the oil light that you mentioned, as far as that goes, how does that affect starting, if it has low oil pressure will it not start and if so maybe i should try changing the oil, if i do chsnge the oil snd filter, how many quarts does it take and what is the best filter to run, factory or aftermarket? also since there was so much water in the tank do you think the fuel pump could be going bad? also should i replace the fuel filter, could it be gummed up and not letting any or not enough fuel to the fuel filter? if i were to change the pump and fuel filter, would you know about what price range i am looking at? thanks for the help so far it has been very informative. i will let you know tmw about the oil pressure light. thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
I may be mistaken, but ensuring proper oil pressure prior to start-up is common among OBDII systems. If the red oil pressure lamp extinguishes then the ECU should pass the test.

Yes, it's a good time to replace the fuel filter as the plate will be off anyway to check that none of the fuel lines disconnected themselves. While it is suggested that a new gasket be used, the old one, if undamaged will work fine with a smear of sealant on both sides (I use Permatex copper) and do not overtighten the bolts.

BTW, to check oil properly clean the dipstick, reinstall fully, slowly bring the bike to vertical then slowly back onto the side stand. Should read just below the flukes (reads high not on a stand). I use 3.5 litres for an oil/filter change (be sure to fill the oil filter prior to installation).

Brad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha i got it to start, i changed the oil and let it sit for a couple days, i went and tried to start it and it started right up, idles good, but definately needs some plugs will do that tmw probably, the throttle info helped alot too i had no idea, hey thanks for all the help greatly appreciated! i cant wait to go ride it, weather is cold, but its still gonna be alot more fun than my katana. thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on the new cool ride. I have an 02 tona myself. since this is a new to you bike I would suggest you call a dealer with the vin number and check recalls, then check that any and all recalls have been taken care of. I was having problems starting my bike on a regular basis. I checked on the recalls as a last dich effort and by the advice of triumph mechanic I ran my numbers. I needed a recall fix on the wiring harness. OMG its a different bike now . It starts every time and runs like stink.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Thanks for the feedback as it's appreciated by all! As there was water in the gas tank I still suggest changing the fuel filter.

Be sure the tires are properly inflated (sat a long time?) and I wouldn't trust them too much. For solo and a light pillion I run 33F/36R.

Have fun.

Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts