Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi all ... starting in on sprag clutch operation. I just found this Hayabusa sprag clutch assembly at an impressive $35. Am I good with this?

Looking at the thread again I can see that I've reposted the link to Post 1's part, which doesn't quite fit. Looking for OEM Suzuki part now.

Also, if not using Triumph's tool for sprag removal what does one grab with pliers, the outer housing? (I've yet to open the covers so I don't have a good sense of the part's physical size.)

Thanks to everyone contributing!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 1050. To take the sprag off there is one bolt in the center. If you turn it everything will turn until you put it in gear and hold the rear brake pedal down.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a 1050. To take the sprag off there is one bolt in the center. If you turn it everything will turn until you put it in gear and hold the rear brake pedal down.
That occurred to me, but I read an earlier post about using a spanner (I believe). If your method works all's good.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Got the new-to-me Hayabusa sprag clutch installed today. I found that the snap-on clip holding the clutch in place wasn't completely snapped in place. One 'claw' was out of place (pic wouldn't upload). I wonder how that happened, and if it is the culprit of the starting problems. Just in case, I replaced both the clutch and the retaining clip with the Hayabusa part.

The bike now starts without falter. :smile2:

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got the new-to-me Hayabusa sprag clutch installed today. I found that the snap-on clip holding the clutch in place wasn't completely snapped in place. One 'claw' was out of place (pic wouldn't upload). I wonder how that happened, and if it is the culprit of the starting problems. Just in case, I replaced both the clutch and the retaining clip with the Hayabusa part.

The bike now starts without falter. :smile2:

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread!

So glad to see somebody make this work!!! I pondered this idea while replacing the sprag clutch on my speedie, doing research into the manufacturers of motorcycle engine parts much like DeCosse, but somebody was selling the entire sprag assembly for $35 on ebay used only 10k miles, so I jumped on that opportunity instead.

·
Registered
924 Posts
So glad to see somebody make this work!!! I pondered this idea while replacing the sprag clutch on my speedie, doing research into the manufacturers of motorcycle engine parts much like DeCosse, but somebody was selling the entire sprag assembly for $35 on ebay used only 10k miles, so I jumped on that opportunity instead.
To clarify, I only installed the lobes & cage from the Hayabusa, not the whole clutch. Like you I bought the whole part, but just switched innards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What are the symptoms that lead to change the sprag clutch? I'm asking this because sometimes I feel the shifter hard to change even to a lower or higher gear. Already checked the oil and everything seems fine. Any idea? Thanks

·
Read Only
21 Posts
Ok, I've been watching ebay for suitable sprags, I'm wanting to swap the race from suzuki to triumph housing. I take it that if I am doing it that way, the missing tooth doesn't matter??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSXR-1300-hayabusa-starter-clutch-Freewheel-Starter-Clutch-GSXR1300-NEW-08-13/162871491733?hash=item25ebe5bc95:g:cGcAAOSwuMFUjyS0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-SUZUKI-08-09-HAYABUSA-GSX1300R-OEM-STARTER-CLUTCH-SET-ASSEMBLY/292158198867

Please could someone confirm as I'm going off description/title but the photo in the first link seems to have no missing tooth while being titled as an 08+.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
21,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
If you're going to spend that kind of money you would probably be best just to install it as-is - just align the timing mark before you remove the old one then mark the new one accordingly - center punch is probably all you need
Don't know how you feel about buying used one - nothing I could see in Europe but quite a few options from USA

·
Registered
12 Posts
So confused. My 05 Speed Triple won't start and I'm sure its the sprag.

Am I right in thinking I need a new gear plus the sprag? Are there secondhand gears?

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you're going to spend that kind of money you would probably be best just to install it as-is - just align the timing mark before you remove the old one then mark the new one accordingly - center punch is probably all you need
Ok, maybe a dumb question. Since I'm planning to do the change and my local (good) supplier can get a correct OEM clutch I have a question re marking. Will a centre punch damage the outer race? I've not pulled the bike down yet so this may become self evident when I do but thought I'd ask. I have looked though this thread and maybe I've missed a comment re this query.

·
Super Moderator
21,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
... I have a question re marking. Will a centre punch damage the outer race?... .
I doubt it, it's quite a substantial lump of steel.
You can always just scribe it if you're concerned - or do nothing and just keep the original that you can swap onto the shaft for when it is required to set TDC for valve clearance measurements/service (but that is added work of course)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I doubt it, it's quite a substantial lump of steel.
You can always just scribe it if you're concerned - or do nothing and just keep the original that you can swap onto the shaft for when it is required to set TDC for valve clearance measurements/service (but that is added work of course)
Cheers!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts