Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
will the Hayabusa '99-12 sprag fit the upgraded (bigger) Sprag Assembly or just the old one? the upgraded has 20 sprags.

Edit:
just noticed in the 1st post that the Hayabusa '99-12 sprag is smaller and won't fit the upgraded, bigger Triumph sprag.

Is there any alternative like for the old sprag, for the upgraded one?

·
Super Moderator
21,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
... Is there any alternative like for the old sprag, for the upgraded one?
You'll have to research that - I have not looked for a match for the new one.
The purpose here was to find a lower cost replacement for the smaller one, which requires a much more expensive replacement option for the whole kit including the gear, as the original size is no longer available as OEM part.

An '05 1050 should have the small one - are you saying it was already upgraded per a previous failure?
(bigger sprag plus new gear)

the upgraded has 20 sprags.
I guess if you're saying yours has 20 then I imagine it must be, as the original has 18.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope to need only spring from bearing and bearing not need to fit. I report everything when i get the package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'll have to research that - I have not looked for a match for the new one.
The purpose here was to find a lower cost replacement for the smaller one, which requires a much more expensive replacement option for the whole kit including the gear, as the original size is no longer available as OEM part.

An '05 1050 should have the small one - are you saying it was already upgraded per a previous failure?
(bigger sprag plus new gear)

I guess if you're saying yours has 20 then I imagine it must be, as the original has 18.
yes, it is the upgraded, the previous owner must have done it.
But I still don't understand that it is working now after I reversed the (20) sprags or that it was working before (well, it was clogged with disintegrated/old oil)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get Hayabusa bearing and NOT fit. Is to small.

I replace only that thin spring and my clutch works fine, but spring from simmering works ok for a week. I promise report if spring broke, but in Poland we have lot of snow right now, and s3 stay in garage probably to march.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just took the old spragg out and installed a Hayabusa spragg in. Fits snug just like the old. I believe it will work fine! Will finish tomorrow and verify! not sure the old spragg was bad but new one installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi ,
i read your post a little while ago . very nice of you to put in all that info for sprag problems and possible replacements .
so far i have tried to replace only the garter spring 2 times and it failed just like for other members in this forum after a couple of weeks . i then tried the hayabusa sprag without the housing and it failed too (the garter spring procedure worked for some time but recently the sprag clutch just spins when i press the starter ---- same happened yesterday with the new hayabusa sprag unit -- without the housing ). my triumph housing outer race has worn too much , i think . so most probably am going to get the ideal parts co ltd hayabusa sprag . now in regards to the gear wheel ring on which the sprag housing connects , i wanted to make sure about its diameter (so that i can make sure that it is not worn) . would you be able to get me the measurement from your bike ? bcoz as i understand the gap between housing , sprag clutch and the gear wheel on which the housing connects is extremely tight .
just dont want to go through all and later find out that the gear wheel ring part is too worn and the whole assembly just slides against each other and nothing happens .
thank you
raj

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
drawing

the photos are of the present triumph housing . u can see the lines on the outer race of the sprag housing . inner race seems fine . both races feel smooth to the touch but the wear on these surfaces is critical because it creates a bigger gap than the required gap tolerance in between housing outer race , sprag surfaces and gear wheel centre ring on which the sprag housing assembly mounts . as a result the whole assembly just slips when you press the starter .

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
No joy

Ordered the below Sprag Bearing but unfortunately it didn't work in my case. With this aftermarket bearing my re-assembled sprag rotated in both directions and would only "lock" very occasionaly. I went as far as just using the dog leg teeth and spring from the new bearing in the original cage but this also didn't work and also only locked occasionaly. It seems that the teeth in the new bearing are not an exact match to the original teeth.
I guess the ones ordered from Ebay US are from a better manufacturer and are a better match to the OEM Hayabusa sprag.
I waited for 7 weeks for the bearing to arrive from China and didn't want to risk trying another one so I've had to bite the bullet and have ordered and fitted the Triumph upgraded Sprag Assy at 400 euros:frown2:
Now just have to wait until the summer to see if it has cured my hot start problem......Fingers and toes crossed.
I won't be a happy man if it hasn't fixed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
hayabusa sprag without housing from ebay

hi ,
i used the same part from ebay and i can confirm i had the same symptoms as you . the gear wheel turned both ways when i tried to check the locking action . it rotated both ways . when i did it with a snap action in my hand it would lock . so , i went ahead with it and the result was the same as yours . it just slips .
i am now at a crossroad in terms of either going with the complete hayabusa sprag + housing assembly or else the really expensive upgraded sprag from triumph .
it could be the case that my original triumph sprag housing was worn ( the pictures are posted above , please do let me know if you can confirm that )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Difficult to see from the pics but the wear you have is visible. I didn't have any visible wear whatsoever and had the same issue with not locking that you experienced.
I also considered buying a complete Hayabusa sprag assembly but as I couldn't find one for less than 250 euros I decided to spend the extra 150 and go for the significantly beefed up upgraded Triumph Sprag. Hope it works! Did you also have a hot starting problem? My hot starting problem and the occasional bang was my reason for going down this road as I have tried everything else I can think of.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts