Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to the forum but I have done a search and read what there was but really no specific answer related to my 2001 sprint st. I just recently purchased the 01 and must say I was quite pleased. Very nice bike.... However it still has the stock can and it is extremely quiet. Quiet is ok unless you live in the burbs like I do and every housewife, teenager is usually talking on their damn cell phone and cannot hear you when you are riding/passing along side of them. So I purchased the twobros ti m5 for the bike. My question is will I need to have the ecu remapped? I've read yes and no. It's a slip on can and mid pipe. That is all that is being replaced. Any specific info would be of great help. If I need to spend the $$ at the shop having my ecu remapped I will but if it is really not necessary I save the money for a 6r of Guiness and a couple of steaks.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yep remap it. Listen to wise Decosse. No point in putting on exhaust but not telling your ecu that it can breath better.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Here is a thread to what I just put on my '02.
Full report, review with pics and dyno info.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/106828-wolf-trident-stubbie.html

Totally happy with it. Gained a lot of power throughout the range. Smoothed out the power band. Beautiful sound dropped about 20 lbs off the back end and chicks dig it.

And it now has a nice decel burble

Yes you will have to have it mapped. No biggie.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep remap it. Listen to wise Decosse. No point in putting on exhaust but not telling your ecu that it can breath better.
Okay here is where I'm a little confused on this. I thought the real guts and airflow from the exhaust where coming from the header back to the midpipe and even with some packing the silencer/muffler can doesn't restrict airflow that much that it would make that much of drastic change. But, as I said earlier I'm a noob.

I'll take your advice and have it remapped. BTW I did read the link you provided, which I appreciated, however it was on wolf/trident exhausts. Since I'm new to this whole slip on thing I've been told that cans from different mfg. are like apples and oranges.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I think that stock cans have baffles in them to restrict exhaust flow to meet emmisions and the such. Your 2bros, very nice can I must say, does not so the bike will breath much better throwing off some technical stuff I don't understand. Basically spend the $40 (thats what it costs at my dealer, outrageous I must add) and have the proper tune loaded.

I have a 2bros Highmount carbon can and the sound is unbeleivable. I had the triumph carbon can on before and the wind noise would drown out the exhaust at freeway speeds but now I hear it clear, its awesome. Be prepared to turn heads with it on.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Okay here is where I'm a little confused on this. I thought the real guts and airflow from the exhaust where coming from the header back to the midpipe and even with some packing the silencer/muffler can doesn't restrict airflow that much that it would make that much of drastic change. But, as I said earlier I'm a noob.

I'll take your advice and have it remapped. BTW I did read the link you provided, which I appreciated, however it was on wolf/trident exhausts. Since I'm new to this whole slip on thing I've been told that cans from different mfg. are like apples and oranges.
Well you aren't completely wrong but stock exhaust always has baffles in it to meet noise regulations. A good can will open that up but no matter what you do to a system that is FI you have to tell the computer that you changed something otherwise the ecu will work within its preset parameters and anything you do will not be taken advantage of.

On the topic of headers, I mean the factory ones aren't so bad on really any performance bike. Its not like a car where you get a big cast brick that has no flow or tuning to it.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
You need to read a little closer. The Wolf has a removable baffle. With it out it's about as straight and bare as a pipe.

+1 what Cal is saying. Again, reading through my experiences you will find that the stock systems on these bikes are VERY well balanced as they come from the factory and since the Triumph has done their homework it is very difficult for a AM manufacturer to improve on this.
Because it is so well balanced in it's tune, even though lean, any changes one makes will alter this balance and the ECU will need to be remapped to take advantage of this perceived changed improvement. Both in fueling schedule, ignition curve and advance. Without the proper mapping or investing in a TuneBoy/TuneEdit you are just throwing your money away.

Actually, performance does alter quite a bit between baffle in and baffle out though with it in, the can still does what Wolf says it will do but out it's another story and flat exceeded my expectations in performance gains and driveability by a wide margin.

As a newbie one thing to consider is that there are only two or three can manufacturers where installing a can and having it mapped properly will have any real performance gain at all. Noise doesn't = performance and in fact there will be a degradation of performance with most of them.
The reason I held off for so long in getting a can is the Wolf stubbie was the first one that looked promising to me. The ROI for a couple of HP and questionable torque increase wasn't there before. There are other places I can stick $400 and get my performance ROI and have a better outcome.

The real restriction in the air in/air out torque department is really in the airbox. But increasing it's size would only be good at the top end as lower in the real working range it refills itself fine.

As I said in the beginning, Triumph really did their homework as I'm sure other bike manufacturers have done also.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Don, while noise increase doesn't necessarily equal performance gains it does equal increased riding enjoyment:D

seriously though I'm not to sure what if any noticeable gains in performance I achieved with the 2 bros exhaust but I do enjoy riding that much more. I find now that I tend to ride in the 5k-6k rpm range more than before as it just sounds so darn good.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Well, I'll grant you that:D.
Forgive me for being a bit on the hardcore side. The older guys here know me and if something doesn't give me a 1/10th it's dead weight.

But now I have the sound and the performance gain:hearts:.

Don

Don, while noise increase doesn't necessarily equal performance gains it does equal increased riding enjoyment:D

seriously though I'm not to sure what if any noticeable gains in performance I achieved with the 2 bros exhaust but I do enjoy riding that much more. I find now that I tend to ride in the 5k-6k rpm range more than before as it just sounds so darn good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you

Well, I'll grant you that:D.
Forgive me for being a bit on the hardcore side. The older guys here know me and if something doesn't give me a 1/10th it's dead weight.

But now I have the sound and the performance gain:hearts:.

Don

Thank you all for piping up. :) I appreciate it greatly. On another note anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced right side replacement fairing due to a small driveway tipover?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Fairings are expensive!!!! Take it to a body shop and have them fix it. If you need decals, askr Redmosquito where he got his. He got some for cheap from a graphics place that ships.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fairings are expensive!!!! Take it to a body shop and have them fix it. If you need decals, askr Redmosquito where he got his. He got some for cheap from a graphics place that ships.
Thanks much. Damage wasnt too bad so the bodyshop is where I think its headed.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
SS,

Your '99 will require both a re-map for the 'off-road' pipe, and a fuel map tweak. The shop will (should) put a sniffer on the tailpipe and tune the bike for CO.

DO NOT mess with the intake, other than maybe a K&N filter. Modifying the airbox is a very bad idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts