Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Legend, it is at the shop being repaired, I have only seen it twice so I have two questions:

1. What do I need to do to eliminate the rear fender like I have seen in some of the pictures on this forum? Does there need to be a piece that goes under the seat? Could I keep the stock turn signals and mount the license plate between them. If the bike were here I could look at it myself and answer these questions, but it is across town.

2. Does anyone have, or know where I can buy, the side covers for my bike? The one of the left side is destroyed? I looked at bikebandit, but they still want 170 dollars.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the link. Ideally I would like black or green so I don't have to paint them, but these would work. What is the difference between the Thunderbird and Legend ones?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
any advice on the removing the rear fender? Thank you.
Some people just remove it, but you really should have some sort of gaurd underneath. You can fab one out of sheet metal, hack the stock job off to where it is only left under the seat, or try your luck at finding one of the rare Mecatwin units...

http://www.mecatwin.com - Parlez vous Francais?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
What is the difference between the Thunderbird and Legend ones?
The Legend ones are a little shallower as it has a smaller igniter box & the fuse box is moved up on the rear fender from the battery box door (behind the side panel). The Legend seat is a little narrower at the front too, so the Tbird (older style, keylock) panels would tend to catch your legs a bit when your feet are on the ground. Looks like later (post 98) non-keylock Tbird type is same as Legend - going by motorcyclestore.com link.

Another issue is that Legend side panel badges were stick on, not bolt on like early 'birds, & made out of aluminium foil....not easy to remove & replace without making $**t of them. New badges are pricey....see bikebandit.com

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
The Legend ones are a little shallower as it has a smaller igniter box & the fuse box is moved up on the rear fender from the battery box door (behind the side panel). The Legend seat is a little narrower at the front too, so the Tbird (older style, keylock) panels would tend to catch your legs a bit when your feet are on the ground.
The older styel ones will not fit on the Legend without modification so buy the right ones - you need the slimmer style without the keylock hole. Another way to tell is that the tab where it bolts on is totally flat on the later one wheras it is more curved and three dimensional on the early ones.

The site I gave you the link to earlier has the correct ones in red.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I've seen Legend side covers come up several times on ebay. If you are patient, some will turn up. You could also call any of the parts places that have listings and ask - they can't put everything they have on ebay.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The older styel ones will not fit on the Legend without modification so buy the right ones - you need the slimmer style without the keylock hole. Another way to tell is that the tab where it bolts on is totally flat on the later one wheras it is more curved and three dimensional on the early ones.

The site I gave you the link to earlier has the correct ones in red.
Thanks Mick, I've just realised I was still fitting them onto a Legend subframe even tho' other parts were tbird :eek:. Well corrected :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Legend ones are a little shallower as it has a smaller igniter box & the fuse box is moved up on the rear fender from the battery box door (behind the side panel).
Mike
My 2000 TB has a smaller igniter box than the 98 TBS I bought. My 2000 TB also has the fuse box on the rear mud guard. Nick

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
My 2000 TB has a smaller igniter box than the 98 TBS I bought. My 2000 TB also has the fuse box on the rear mud guard. Nick
The late 99 on TBirds were redesigned to use common parts with the legend - same style rear subframe, same side covers and other minor (and a few not so minor) changes etc.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Would these work for my Legend, or are teh dimensions too different? :confused:

http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc136.htm
I just slung a tape measure around a little.

It seems a little narrow to me, and probably would not meet up with the front half of the Legend/TBird fender.

But, that's an interesting design and could look really nice with minor modifications.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. My bike is currently at a custom shop in town. Do you think that they could make the modifications needed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts