Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been methodically working on my project Sprint after purchasing it as potentially having a rod problem. I have not found anything of significance to show why it had a loss of power as described by the seller. I did not confirm this loss of power before pulling the head and having a good look around the top end for fear of causing more damage. I considered it had a blown head gasket as there was evidence of overheating but apparently that is not the case according to the local Triumph service manager. Before putting it back together I decided to pull the sump and see what that area looked like and all seems well, no metal bits and no foamy/oily substance. I then had a look at the crank from the bottom and see that it has a blue tint to the lobes. Would this indicate overheating and if so what might this mean for the future of the motor? The bike had apparently taken a spill and I read somewhere that if it ran while on its side the lubrication of the crank and main bearings could be compromised? I would appreciate some thoughts from the forum. Thanks-Gary

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
My crystal ball hasn't had the best reception, lately. Maybe it's sunspots? :D
If you're that far into it, why not pull some of the rod and main caps where the blueing is to see what you have? Does the motor turn freely? Look for scoring. That's about all I have....

·
Registered
16 Posts
i agree with charlies strip right down check and double check replace the shells there not that badley priced but need measured for each journel,i would replace the balancer
shaft bearing aswell.
As for the blueing it could well be down to running on its side it can't of been far form picking up

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm with Charlie on doing this with looking through a crystal ball and he's dead on about looking at the bearings and crankshaft surfaces because of low/no oil pressure.
I hope you got this thing cheap…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts