Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a look at a 22K original mile survivor tomorrow. Looks to be in pristine condition excepting the carbs are gunked a little preventing idle. Other than the usual items is there anything I shou
Craigslist Ad 1.jpg
ld be paying attention to on my inspection and test ride?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ask the seller to leave it cold so you are the first start of the day if possible, that way you can experience the engine hot and cold.

Look for evidence of a valve shim service. If it is like my 1995 Daytona it should of been done at 6,000 miles and 18,000 miles. If they can't prove this was done and at a reputable place you'll have to get them looked at or do them yourself to know for sure.

Search on this forum about the sprag clutch issue, might be worth asking if they know if any work has been done on it to correct that. Not neccessarily a deal breaker if it hasn't, I'm pretty sure it has not been done on my Daytona and that starts fine.

Lots of those fuel tap knobs break, see if it is really turning the fuel tap and not just rotating. I've just replaced mine with a metal one.

Thats all I can think of for now, otherwise just all the usual stuff, how it feels, how it runs, do all the electrics work etc. Best of luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts