Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'00 Sprint RS Tuning Issues With Dyno Graph... (oooooooh)

I'm trying to sort out my RS now that I've got a Viper exhaust on it and had the dealer install the "offroad" gameboy tune. My A/F curve is completely wack... Way too lean down low and too rich up top. The bike stumbles sometimes when taking off from a standing start and even dies occasionally after letting off on the throttle.
To be honest the dealer didn't inspire confidence in me when he did the tune. It went something like this:

Manager "Put the offroad tune on this Truimph"
Kid "Huh?"
Manager "The offroad tune, just plug in the tool and put it in there"
Kid "Uh, OK"

Is a 'Gameboy' tune supposed to be sufficient for normal riding?
If you look at my A/F curve it's way leaner than 17.5:1 when the throttle is opened (and it's even too lean just at a steady small throttle opening) and too rich at 11.7:1 near redline. Icky...
I know y'all have a hard-on for the TuneBoy but I'd really like to use a Power Commander since I can get them at a decent price and they'll just plug into our dyno at work. Does anyone know what model might work with a 2000 Sprint RS?
Thanx.
Weazel

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
It doesn't list one for the Sprint - however I don't see why the Speed Triple for that same generation shouldn't work.

That would be model 502-411

Here are the install instructions

I have PC3 on my Suzuki and Tuneboy on the Triumph - Tuneboy has WAAAAYY more features. You get the diagnostic tool which is a bonus and also have timing tuning which you don't get with the PC3.

So even at a 'special' price, you need to figure whether there is value in those extra features.

As for the map tuning, both are really similar in how you effect change - I don't understand why some people shy away in fear of Tuneboy when they are intimate with PC3 as the table structure is very similar and intuitive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the input. I'm really not sure how close the FI systems are between the S3 and Sprint RS but, you're right, they should cross over.
It's not that I'm afraid of the Tuneboy, that's not it at all. We have several Dynojet Dynos at work with the Dynojet Power Commander software on the work computers and I can honestly save about $120 by going with the DJ unit. I have a lot of bikes, all begging for my $$. I can't afford to spent too much on any one of them or the others get jealous and stop running...
I'll give it some time before buying either one.
Thanx again.
Weazel

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
.... I'm really not sure how close the FI systems are between the S3 and Sprint RS but, you're right, they should cross over....
Sorry - I wasn't suggesting YOU were afraid of Tuneboy and I recognized your econmic advantage - it was more a general comment that I see members saying that Tuneboy is not generally recognized and its more ignorance of how it works in any shape or fashion. If you can operate a dyno & tune a PC3 you can tune a Tuneboy map.

To the similarities between the Sprint & S3 as far as PC3 goes - actually you'll see that PC3 even quotes the same kit for 99-01 and 01-04 S3's even though those motors are quite, quite different. What really fundamentally matters is how it interfaces - the TPS connection and the injector connections; after that the PC3 does just what it does which is to take the baseline map drive to the injectors from whatever map is installed) & apply its own modified drive to the injectors based on TPS setting. So even with differences between the generations of motors, the priciple is the same.
What could vary is baseline map - and hence the PC3 map - for any modded conditions. But with your acess to dyno, that is moot as you can tune it accordingly anyway.

What I really intended is that Tuneboy is much more sophisticated - price not considered.
But clearly the PC3 will still give huge advantage over Gameboy 'catch-all' tune and you can make significant gains in your fuelling map by matching up to your configuration. If you can achieve that at a budget price more power to you - I'm all for that!
I've nothing against PC3 - actually like a lot of its features too.
Performance-wise - diagnostics excluded - you can gain a little more however by also tweaking the ignition map with Tuneboy, not available to PC3.

·
Registered
343 Posts
DEcosse is right- I've got an '01 RS with the 502-411 Power Commander and a custom map.
My injection is smooth with good throttle response and power but it sure would be nice to have all the diagnostic and tuning capability of the Tuneboy...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will), but doesn't the Tuneboy software have a dynojet link function built into it to allow use of a Dynojet Dyno and software.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm trying to sort out my RS now that I've got a Viper exhaust on it and had the dealer install the "offroad" gameboy tune. My A/F curve is completely wack... Way too lean down low and too rich up top. The bike stumbles sometimes when taking off from a standing start and even dies occasionally after letting off on the throttle.
To be honest the dealer didn't inspire confidence in me when he did the tune. It went something like this:

Manager "Put the offroad tune on this Truimph"
Kid "Huh?"
Manager "The offroad tune, just plug in the tool and put it in there"
Kid "Uh, OK"

Is a 'Gameboy' tune supposed to be sufficient for normal riding?
If you look at my A/F curve it's way leaner than 17.5:1 when the throttle is opened (and it's even too lean just at a steady small throttle opening) and too rich at 11.7:1 near redline. Icky...
I know y'all have a hard-on for the TuneBoy but I'd really like to use a Power Commander since I can get them at a decent price and they'll just plug into our dyno at work. Does anyone know what model might work with a 2000 Sprint RS?
Thanx.
Weazel
QUOTE]

This is the exact problem I am having with my 02.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It may have slipped into the 'limp' mode when it can't read one of it's sensors. I endend up with the TuneBoy and the problem was sorted...
The dealer I was referring to appears to have went under. Sorry that people lost their jobs but I struggle to find anything good to say about their service department...
Weazel

·
Registered
598 Posts
It threw a code awhile back, when I turned it over with the air box removed. I wonder if it didnt go into limp mode then. The code has since cleared but I have had more trouble than ever since then.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Limp mode seems plausible. I also wonder from your description of the manager talking to the kid if you got the *right* offroad tune... I don't know that it would run at all in this case, but it seems plausible to me that the '99-'01 TOR tune got loaded by mistake. Just a scenario I could imagine, really, no particular basis in fact other than imagining what could make it run poorly.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
598 Posts
ive put a few thousand miles on the bike since ive had it. When I first got it, it was very cold blooded, and would stall if you didnt let it warm up a bit before riding. It has now progressed into a bog at idle, and a funny spot at 4500 when I shift. When coming up to a stop light/sign it will randomly stall. If its sitting just idling and you blip the throttle or mess with it, it will stall, and the colder out it is, the worse off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Limp mode seems plausible. I also wonder from your description of the manager talking to the kid if you got the *right* offroad tune... I don't know that it would run at all in this case, but it seems plausible to me that the '99-'01 TOR tune got loaded by mistake. Just a scenario I could imagine, really, no particular basis in fact other than imagining what could make it run poorly.
Cheers,
-Kit
Don't get me started on this dealership... Oh, wait, you just did.
I took the bike back to them for a recall and explained how I wasn't thrilled. I gave them the dyno sheet with the crappy A/F graph and asked them to look into it. Got the bike back and they said it was good. Let the bike warm up, hit the gas and she bogged out. It was as bad as before. I asked if they looked into it and they said that they checked the map but didn't test ride the bike (which is why they missed the fuel sensor being left unplugged also). Knot-headed SERVICE MANAGER said, "well, let's try loading the map for the bike with the O2 sensor and see if that works better..."
I put a TuneBoy map in it and she's pretty good now.
I don't miss those guys.
Weazel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts