Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is a repeat somewhere...

Last year I replaced the stock clutch in my Sprint with a Barnett kit. This season I also replaced the clutch engagement arm with a slightly longer one from a Tiger to try and decrease the tension at the lever with some degree of success.

My issue now is that the Clutch seems to be dragging a bit when engaged. Primary symptoms are that the neutral is almost impossible to find when warm/running and the gears seem to clang when shifting quite a bit. I have been told this is a common symptom of Barnett clutches. Is this something any of you have seen/experiences also with Barnett?

So here is my question/dilemma- I am considering putting the stock clutch back in to see if the neutral issue resolves itself. However, while in still in spec the stock plates are close to the end of their life span. Stock replacement clutch plates are stupid expensive from Triumph. So- what clutch kits have you guys used for street riding in the 955 and would recommend short of forking over for the OEM parts?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I got 100k out of the clutch on my first RS, so I have to wonder just how close to end of life your originals are. That said, I was planning to throw a set of EBC plates in after I got back from the road trip where the bike ended up getting stolen. You can get the EBCs for about $60, IIRC.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were 30K miles on the original clutch plates when removed, when measured they were within spec. If you got 100K miles out of them I think I can safely try them out to see if it is just an issue with the barnett clutch material.

Sorry to hear you had a bike stolen, that seriously blows.

J-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts