Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering a 2013 6,000 mile well farkled R or a new rs. The 765 price will be more than double the 675 and I know it’s a better bike in alsmost every way... Im curious about the riding position changes to the new model. I’ve read the the 675 has a more aggressive ergonomics. Rode the 765 rs and liked the riding position but not sure I want to be leaning forward more if that’s the case on the 675..... like to hear from some who have ridden or owned both..... thanks!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Please someone correct if I'm wrong,but I believe triumph fit the 765 engine directly into the same frame as the 675. It's pretty much the same bike with more power and electronics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So a little bit more about my intended use and maybe I can get some input on my decision. Live on Kauai and we don’t have a lot of twisties but the Waimea canyon can be a lot of fun. Currently have a ‘17 T120 and a husqvarna 501 sm here in Kauai and a tiger 800 xrx in California. I love riding the sm in the canyon but looking to replace it w a street triple.
Recently test rode the new rs (around the block) and thought it was the most refined of everything I tested (FZ07, 09, thruxton, r nine t, etc) and I know I love the triple! I’m a little concerned that the riding position might be to leaned over but assume I’ll get used to it and most likely love it. Leaning towards a used 675 purchase since I won’t be tracking and will mainly be using it to ride the canyon. Rs seems like overkill, plus I don’t think I need the tft display and a lot of the riding modes. Or maybe I do ��....

So.... 675 r, 765 r or 765 rs? Get the 675 r for now and if I love it trade up in a few years when used 765 start popping up or just pull trigger on one of the 765 and b done? Btw... have not ridden a 675. Thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
497 Posts
The 675 has plenty of power for the street. Unless you're really smitten by the 765, I'd save the bucks. The 765s will drop in price later as they become more commonplace, and you can pick one up for a few dollars less if you find the 675 stops scratching your itch.

I have a 2010R and I have no intention of replacing it with a 765.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I realize there are folks for which more is never enough. So, therefore, we go through this periodically. Now being a motorcyclist for some 4.5 plus decades, give me any displacement category and it slowly grows bigger and bigger and then after a while it all resets. The 600cc class is now 800cc, the 900cc class bikes are now 1100cc. But then somebody will introduce a new 605ccc game changer and the new 800cc class will be suddenly old and all the cool kids will be on the new 605cc that will become a 675cc and then right back to a 765cc before it becomes the 900cc that the 900cc was before it became a 1050cc.

Whatever, the new 765 is a great machine but I prefer the analog tachometer and the lesser electronics. If 675cc was enough a few months back then it still is today as I do not think any laws of physics have altered in the interim months.

And, I have sat on my 15 675R and a new 765R and the seating position is comparable. The Rx versions I cannot speak for as there is a 675Rx on the shop floor and I think it indeed has a higher and slightly more rearward set of pegs (rear sets) than my R. Compared to my other naked bike, a MT-07, the 675R is decidedly more aggressive but in my opinion, pleasantly so.

I think you can be happy with either machine as long as the older motorcycle is in tip top shape and low miles and not bombed on.

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
It's a new frame but it's the exact same dimensions. There is a small difference in steering geometry but nothing that would be noticeable outside of track riding. Riding position as mentioned is all but identical. Yes the 765 has more power but with a set of Daytona cams a dyno tune and an exhaust system you can have more rear wheel HP out of the 675 for far less money then buying a 765. Also with the exhaust system it would also be lighter.

The only advantage the 765 has that can't really be had on a 675 is the updated electronics. It has smoother throttle control out of the box and even with a proper dyno tune done on both the newer electronics will always have slightly better throttle control. Also you don't get different power maps and a fuel level sensor and the new instruments. The value of those things is pretty much an individual judgement call.

·
Premium Member
8,304 Posts
I have yet to ride a 765. My wallet won't let me entertain even a test ride - because then I'll want one - but if you just want an all around great bike for riding around the island, the 675 is never a bad option. I've lowered the bar (slightly) and put Daytona rearsets on mine, and the riding position is still very much upright standard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've owned a 2013 ST-R and currently own a 2018 ST-765RS. I bought both bikes new and there was a gap of ownership of 2 years between them so my memory might be fallible. Having said that, these are my impressions;

The riding position, feel and sound of both bikes is virtually identical. My seat-of-the-pants impression of power is that the 765RS has much more top end, but lower down you might not notice the difference unless you rode them back-to-back.

Both have great brakes. I never ran my 2013-R at a track but that's all I do with the 765RS where braking is much harder. The ABS is much less intrusive on the 765RS but I only run the 765RS in track mode and perhaps that's the reason.

The 765RS has more "plush" suspension and is better at ironing out bumps and for me has a better seat too.

I did an 8-day and a 10-day sporty road trip on the 2013-R carrying light luggage. Not a great touring bike, but definitely great in the mountain twisties with only the addition of a bit of pre-load on the back. Fuel range is very good too.

What would I buy...............I can't justify the extra cost of a new 765RS over a good used 2013-R but I would probably buy the 765RS anyway because I know its out there and motorcycling has never been a very rational pastime for me :grin2:

·
Registered
879 Posts
@1971westy I see you’ve used a word a couple of times that really isn’t relevant to any consideration here. “Need”. I find it a useful word to throw in along with another key word when discussing a potential new bike or accessory with the wife but it’s not really a legitimate factor you should be concerned about.

eg I need the new exhaust because it’s safer and will use less petrol. I need new mirrors because they’re safer. I need new tyres because they’re safer. I need a new cam shaft because it’s safer and the engine will last longer. I need a 765 because it’s safer and has greater mental health benefits.

You’re looking at 2 of the best bikes ever made so the only question is really which one you want the most.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was at the dealer today picking up parts for my '06 ST 1050 and I threw a leg over the new Stripple. Oh, man that bike inspires. It comes stock with decent suspension, quick shifter, traction control, ABS and 5 nanny modes. I'm looking forward to hearing and feeling the engine in person. I probably won't switch since I'm more interested in distance than sport at this point but I miss the nimble feel of a small bike. Kudos to those who are enjoying one already!

·
Premium Member
8,304 Posts
If you're not too large of frame, or a heavy packer it can tour, too. With what I think are some fairly well thought-out bags, I rode from Northern VA to Indy in 2015, and went to the MotoAmerica round in Pittsburgh last year. That trip was a 3 day camp-out, so I had all my camping gear, too.

·
Registered
879 Posts
A lady I know rode a 2016 Street Triple 660 (the the learner approved model herE and NZ) from Canberra to Perth and back. Total trip was just over 8000km. They took their time going over but came back in 5 days, averaging almost 800km a day. Luggage was a Ventura rack/bag and a Triumph tank bag. She says the bike handled the trip at least as well as the BMW GSs and other bikes and she had no trouble staying with the group. Key message was that she’d happily do it again (on her new 765 RS).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Pulled the trigger on a ‘18 RS yesterday, dealer came $2500 off MSRP and I couldn’t resist. Super excited and many thanks to all who posted. Your input was much appreciated.... I’ll post a pic once in my possession. 🤙🏼🤙🏼
Congrats! Please let us know your first impressions. I'm from a cold-weather area, so my bike is in storage. I can live vicariously through your new-bike experience! :)

·
Premium Member
8,304 Posts
@CanberraR3. I OWN Street triple LRH R, do you really think they are one of the best bikes made ??
its nice to think so:laugh2::laugh2:
I can state with the 100% certainty of total subjectivity that it is the best bike I've ever owned, by far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts