Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums (https://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php)
-   T3 Sport / Touring Forum (https://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/)
-   -   Yet another Trident cafe racer (https://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/823762-yet-another-trident-cafe-racer.html)

cavsp3 05-03-2017 05:37 AM

Yet another Trident cafe racer
 
3 Attachment(s)
Finally got to give the bike a good test run. Built this over the winter but since then have been hampered with a shoulder operation recovery and also moving up to the Scottish Highlands in March.

The donor bike was a 93 Trident 900. I am very pleased with how she has turned out and it's a lovely thing to ride. Has lost about 30 kgs from standard and feels it too. I didn't push it during my road test as I have had brakes apart and fork legs on and off etc plus new tyres.

It's not finished yet, more to do over next winter but for now, just want to enjoy riding her.

stuartcf 05-03-2017 06:28 AM

Oh yes, very sweet! Nice paint job!

cavsp3 05-03-2017 06:57 AM

Thanks Stuart, I can't take credit for that, a guy called Dave Andrews who works at Bill Smiths Triumph dealership in Chester did it and the idea was from my girlfriend. The pics don't show up the true artistry of Daves work though, needs to be seen in sunlight when the ghosted Triumph name can be seen from some angles on the tank....genius.

Thanks to you too Stuart as I leaned heavily on your previous work as regards the fuelling and air box. Pretty happy with how she's running.

Things still to do....want to paint the swinging arm, hugger and chain guard black and tidy up the rear brake fluid reservoir and then over winter, look at improving the suspension.

It'll keep me out of mischief ;-)

What's the latest on yours?

rubber biscuit 05-03-2017 01:47 PM

Very, very nice! Would love to take a close look at her in person. The modified airbox is particularly well executed, very professional looking and so much better looking than the usual easy to mount (but not so easy to tune) pods that most seem to go for.

cavsp3 05-03-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubber biscuit (Post 8982178)
Very, very nice! Would love to take a close look at her in person. The modified airbox is particularly well executed, very professional looking and so much better looking than the usual easy to mount (but not so easy to tune) pods that most seem to go for.

Thanks RB.....yes, I wanted to ride it rather than have the carbs on and off and after hearing other peoples problems decided to keep it simple. I may have another bash at the air box but same idea. I think I will paint the aluminium plate black and just leave the brass wire gauze on show. Also will paint the swing arm, hugger, chain guard and back light bracket black next winter.

stuartcf 05-04-2017 05:04 AM

Hi cavsp3, yes my bitsa is getting good use now the weather has improved. ;-)

That's the beauty of forums, you get support and inspiration from those that went before. I was helped immensely by what I learned from this forum!

Have you got any piccies of your bike from the left hand side? It looks like you are using CRK components yes?

I wondered if you were using their chain guard. I have it on mine, but found that I had to modify the front mounting bracket as the rear tyre was rubbing against the inside of it during spirited riding!

It caused the front chain guard bracket to fatigue and break off, so I replaced the bracket with one I fabricated that gave me a bit more wiggle room in adjusting clearances. Everything is fine now - the guard is a nicely designed piece of kit.

cavsp3 05-04-2017 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartcf (Post 8984130)
Hi cavsp3, yes my bitsa is getting good use now the weather has improved. ;-)

That's the beauty of forums, you get support and inspiration from those that went before. I was helped immensely by what I learned from this forum!

Have you got any piccies of your bike from the left hand side? It looks like you are using CRK components yes?

I wondered if you were using their chain guard. I have it on mine, but found that I had to modify the front mounting bracket as the rear tyre was rubbing against the inside of it during spirited riding!

It caused the front chain guard bracket to fatigue and break off, so I replaced the bracket with one I fabricated that gave me a bit more wiggle room in adjusting clearances. Everything is fine now - the guard is a nicely designed piece of kit.

You're spot on Stuart, yes I have used the CRK components and am using the chain guard but haven't noticed any problems with fouling the tyre. Having said that, I've not done any 'spirited riding, as yet as my ride was purely to test the bike and ensure that everything I had done was working properly, brakes, ignition, forks etc. Also had brand new tyres fitted...hence the embarrassingly wide chicken strips!!!
Also fitted coil sticks from a 650 Daytona and got rid of that whole slew of coils under the tank. Even though you don't see them, they annoyed me whenever I take the tanks off these bikes, terrible design. Can't fault them at all, so easy to fit and wire up to.

I would like to build one like yours too using the Classic tank. Looks great. Big problem for me now is the small CRK tank size of 11 litres. I've just moved to the Highlands. My rides will have to be planned to ensure I can reach petrol stations.

stuartcf 05-04-2017 03:31 PM

I suppose my chain guard issue might possibly be tyre-choice related. I'm using a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 180/55 on the rear at the moment. What are you using?

I'm interested to hear you've done the coil stick mod. That's something I was thinking of doing this year. Any hurdles I need to be aware of?

cavsp3 05-05-2017 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartcf (Post 8985514)
I suppose my chain guard issue might possibly be tyre-choice related. I'm using a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 180/55 on the rear at the moment. What are you using?

I'm interested to hear you've done the coil stick mod. That's something I was thinking of doing this year. Any hurdles I need to be aware of?

Hi Stuart.......I am running the standard wheels and tyre sizes, so 160/60/18 on the back, Bridgestone 023. That may explain the difference then and why the guard fouls your tyre.

As for the stick coils, dead easy change. using the coils off a 1600 Thunderbird or tt600, daytona 600/650 or Speed 4 and I used the connectors from a yAmaha R6 which are an exact fit to the coils. This was suggested by Greg96brg from this Forum as Yamaha use a separate ignition harness that connects to their main harness whereas the specified Triumph harnesses all coma as one so you have to buy the whole harness just for the connectors. I picked up the Yamaha harness on Ebay for 15 and the coils were 60 for 4. I also sourced some large grommets and cut a hole in the top of the cap so that they fitted around the coil and sealed the hole in the cam cover to prevent water ingress.

Brick Bonesteel 05-05-2017 04:21 AM

Great looking bike!!!

I was curious about the tail section, if that something you fabbed up or something you purchased?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome