GP shift rearsets query - Page 3 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple Forum Owners and Enthusiasts of the Triumph Street Triple.

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Street Triple R
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Lichfield, UK
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
Dragging case guards is suspension setup issue or you are not getting your body off the bike far enough and just leaning the bike too much. I have ridden bikes on the track with stock pegs and managed not to drag them or my feet. It is all foot position and getting your butt off the seat to turn the motorcycle and not just leaning the bike. This is not to say that aftermarket rear sets do not help, they do, but a large percentage of dragging pegs and feet is due to the factors above not your rearsets. YMMV.
Again, i appreciate where you're coming from but you can't say that's 100% the reason in all cases...

Striple pegs are low compared to a sports bike so they're always going to touch down when you get to a certain angle of lean, regardless of suspension or body position...in fact foot position and getting your butt off the seat has nothing to do with turning the bike, it's just an aid to allow faster speeds at the same lean angle due to having a lower centre of gravity, but I get your point.

Dragging case guards is extreme but i'd imagine that's either down to the previous owner or catching it on a raised curb...I'm sure Jack would notice if he was dragging that consistently
Joeski518 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
Dragging case guards is suspension setup issue or you are not getting your body off the bike far enough and just leaning the bike too much. I have ridden bikes on the track with stock pegs and managed not to drag them or my feet. It is all foot position and getting your butt off the seat to turn the motorcycle and not just leaning the bike. This is not to say that aftermarket rear sets do not help, they do, but a large percentage of dragging pegs and feet is due to the factors above not your rearsets. YMMV.
Agreed. Although when I got the bike I upgraded the suspension front and rear, so I'm thinking it's me, and it happened last fall at a track I'd never ridden before. The first couple sessions were pretty tough trying to learn it. It's a shorter track with 22 turns crammed into something like 2 miles. I was probably late prepping for a quick left and slammed things down a little hard. The afternoon sessions were the best I had all year, though and I'm going back next month.

Speaking of pegs, I changed the stock pegs on both the Street Triple and the KTM to Rizoma's. A couple years ago, when I was still taking the Street to the track, I woke up the morning after a track day and the balls of my feet were really sore. After scratching my head for a while I figured out why. Back then, I was putting the ball of my inside foot on the end of the peg, and the ends of the stock pegs are kind of pointy. So, I got the Rizomas

You have to buy the bike specific adapters, then bolt these on. Easy-peazy.


Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
BKK Jack is offline  
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:37 PM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street triple r
Senior Member
 
Gzblack2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Centereach
Posts: 2,257
Other Motorcycle: 2006 ninja 250
Extra Motorcycle: 2004 honda vtx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeski518 View Post
I appreciate what you're saying but it's a bit presumtuous slapping that statement on everyone...



I ride on my toes with the inside foot inline with the bike, but still found on track that even with my foot all the way back on the peg and ankle jammed into the heelguard I was still grounding pegs and toe sliders (and i only wear a size 9!) so it's definitely something which will be resolved with a change of rearsets.



Those Woodcrafts look ace Jack, just the job...maybe you caught the casing on a high curb or something? Easily done although i'd have thought you'd notice that much of a hit!



I've found a pair of Daytona rearsets on fleabay for £80 so i'll get them bought and fanny around with the exhaust mount and shift rods after they've been delivered...I have a feeling there will be some bodging required somewhere along the line...


Let me start by saying Iím by no means an expert,and that I do think swapping to the Daytona rear sets is a good idea.
With that said,you may want to have a coach or other experience rider check your foot position. What youíve explained is exactly how I started and was corrected by multiple riders and a coach at the track. Itís my understanding that your inside foot should be pointed into the turn. With your heel lifted up and on the heel guard(hence its name).This will make your knee come out more easily/naturally. Another thing I realized is that getting around the track fast is not about being leaned over. Leaning off is about,like you say going faster at the same lean angle. The less angle the more brake or throttle can be applied.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gzblack2 is offline  
 
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Street Triple R
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Lichfield, UK
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzblack2 View Post
Let me start by saying Iím by no means an expert,and that I do think swapping to the Daytona rear sets is a good idea.
With that said,you may want to have a coach or other experience rider check your foot position. What youíve explained is exactly how I started and was corrected by multiple riders and a coach at the track. Itís my understanding that your inside foot should be pointed into the turn. With your heel lifted up and on the heel guard(hence its name).This will make your knee come out more easily/naturally. Another thing I realized is that getting around the track fast is not about being leaned over. Leaning off is about,like you say going faster at the same lean angle. The less angle the more brake or throttle can be applied.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep totally agree. There's lots of misconceptions with track riding, body position and what is right/wrong...a lot of riders will try to mimick the style of MM93 and other gp racers which is great if you can achieve it comfortably without any detriment to the control of the bike but let's face it, 90% of trackdayers don't have anywhere near the same fitness/core strength of a pro racer and can't maintain that body position whilst keeping full control over the bike - myself included! So it has to be a balance between a good, functional body position but also something which is comfortable and can be maintained throughout the day.

I hear what you're saying regarding foot positioning and agree, as long as it doesn't rotate the toe out too much as this will then protrude off the peg then it's all good...i've attached a pic of me from last year and funnily enough that bike didn't have any heel guards so I spent most corners taking the paintwork off the swingarm with my heels! It took some time to find a body position which suited me and allowed me to do what I wanted with the bike and now I've moved over to the striple it's like having to retrain myself all over again...although rearsets will definitely help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5558.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	653096  
Gzblack2 likes this.
Joeski518 is offline  
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 PM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street triple r
Senior Member
 
Gzblack2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Centereach
Posts: 2,257
Other Motorcycle: 2006 ninja 250
Extra Motorcycle: 2004 honda vtx
By the looks of it I should be asking you for advice on body position..lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gzblack2 is offline  
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:18 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzblack2 View Post
By the looks of it I should be asking you for advice on body position..lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, no ****. Although, I know what I need to do, it's actually doing it that is my problem. I have the same problem with my golf game.

That's a great photo. The only photographer around here who is worth a crap rarely takes any nice tight shots.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
BKK Jack is offline  
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Street Triple R
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Lichfield, UK
Posts: 24
hahah nah not at all, advice is always welcome...admittedly i was trying to "style" it out a bit more than normal on that corner just for the photographer. We have a guy called Alex James in the UK who photographs at a lot of track & race days and he takes the best shots i've seen...he was lying down about 2ft from the apex to get these shots, dedication!

But yeah body position is definitely one of aspects of riding which I never think you completely master, look at Rossi though after dominating GP for so long and then MM comes along with his new style and Rossi and the rest of the bunch have to completely change how they sit on the bike just to try and keep up!

For me, I spent years trying to perfect the "right" style and as a consequence I wasted many trackdays trying to do this, neglecting things like correct lines, braking markers and visual focus points so I wasn't really improving. Best thing I did was a whole morning on track completely forgetting how my body was positioned on the bike, literally just sat on it in a way which was totally comfortable and I didn't have to think about it...net result was I went just as quick but I was MUCH more consistent and half as tired at the end of each session. The drawback was that things like foot positioning was poor and the bike was leant over more than usual but I found a halfway house between the two "styles" and as a result gained the benefits of more energy, more time to think before each turn and generally just in much more control of the bike and what I wanted it to do. I'm far from being an expert or knowing if this is a good way to go about things but worth a try if you ever find yourself banging your head against the wall (figuritvely speaking!!)..

Anyway, I realise we've gone a little off topic and I'm probably being really boring so i'll shutup now lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19024902_10212805975449261_300764946404447878_o.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	653116  
Joeski518 is offline  
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 8,097
Whelp...I don't imagine much else is going to happen in this thread until I get the Shifter Invertatron 3000, so post away with whatever tangents you want. Besides, you started the thread, so you can take it anywhere you please. I called the vendor yesterday, because there was a little glitch with my address, but they sorted it and should ship sometime early next week. I'm a little excited by all this.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
BKK Jack is offline  
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 14 Street Triple R ABS
New Member
 
jcrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeski518 View Post
hahah nah not at all, advice is always welcome...admittedly i was trying to "style" it out a bit more than normal on that corner just for the photographer. We have a guy called Alex James in the UK who photographs at a lot of track & race days and he takes the best shots i've seen...he was lying down about 2ft from the apex to get these shots, dedication!

But yeah body position is definitely one of aspects of riding which I never think you completely master, look at Rossi though after dominating GP for so long and then MM comes along with his new style and Rossi and the rest of the bunch have to completely change how they sit on the bike just to try and keep up!

For me, I spent years trying to perfect the "right" style and as a consequence I wasted many trackdays trying to do this, neglecting things like correct lines, braking markers and visual focus points so I wasn't really improving. Best thing I did was a whole morning on track completely forgetting how my body was positioned on the bike, literally just sat on it in a way which was totally comfortable and I didn't have to think about it...net result was I went just as quick but I was MUCH more consistent and half as tired at the end of each session. The drawback was that things like foot positioning was poor and the bike was leant over more than usual but I found a halfway house between the two "styles" and as a result gained the benefits of more energy, more time to think before each turn and generally just in much more control of the bike and what I wanted it to do. I'm far from being an expert or knowing if this is a good way to go about things but worth a try if you ever find yourself banging your head against the wall (figuritvely speaking!!)..

Anyway, I realise we've gone a little off topic and I'm probably being really boring so i'll shutup now lol
I was going to say nice glamour shot. The photog is a bit of an idiot doing that if someone were to target fixate on him. He needs to invest in a remote unit and get out of harms way.
jcrich is offline  
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Street Triple R
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Lichfield, UK
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
Whelp...I don't imagine much else is going to happen in this thread until I get the Shifter Invertatron 3000, so post away with whatever tangents you want. Besides, you started the thread, so you can take it anywhere you please. I called the vendor yesterday, because there was a little glitch with my address, but they sorted it and should ship sometime early next week. I'm a little excited by all this.
hahah true! So how's the weather on that side of the pond anyway?

Is it wrong that i'm really excited for you and the arrival of the Shift-Master 10000?! Are you running a quickshifter as well?
Joeski518 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome