Engine case torque values? stator? clutch cover crank? - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Scrambler 1200 XC

Engine case torque values? stator? clutch cover crank?

Removing my Triumph case protection. Does anybody remember the torque values for these bolts? Clutch cover, stator and crank cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morkys View Post
Removing my Triumph case protection. Does anybody remember the torque values for these bolts? Clutch cover, stator and crank cover?
These?

BTW, check them all. I've read they sometimes loosen themselves. I know some of mine were loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternator Cover.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	659490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Cover - Installation.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	659492  

"Most people just get swept along with life, they don't work for what they want. Think of every person you know who spends all their leisure time watching TV or getting drunk. These people don't know they're living 'till they're on their death bed."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500

Yes thank-you. I also need the values for what I believe is the crank cover on the right side in front of the clutch. There are 7 bolts there where you see the numbers 5, 4 and 8 (the ones pointing to the clutch cover bolts). Interestingly there appears to be a misprint in the numbers showing the order for the clutch as there is no #1 but two #2's.

Last edited by morkys; 10-20-2019 at 10:23 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500

I found my Triumph Motorcycle service handbook. I guess the values will be in there. I will check tomorrow.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:07 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Daytona 675R

Other Motorcycle: Thruxton R
Quote:
Yes thank-you. I also need the values for what I believe is the crank cover on the right side in front of the clutch. There are 7 bolts there where you see the numbers 5, 4 and 8 (the ones pointing to the clutch cover bolts). Interestingly there appears to be a misprint in the numbers showing the order for the clutch as there is no #1 but two #2's.
If you're only removing case protection the order isn't important as it's only likely to be fixed with 3 bolts.
The torque on all the side cases bolts is the same at 10 or 11nm, personally tighten mine by feel, trust my many years of experience tightening things without leaks/loosening/stripping threads over my fairly cheap torque wrench.

2016 Thruxton R, track racer kit, x pipe decat, US Vance and Hines, de-snorkel, no slack throttle mod, heated grips, 17t fr sprocket, quickshifter, TuneECU remap with custom riding modes, tubeless conversion.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Grand Prix 500

Garage
Quote:
I found my Triumph Motorcycle service handbook. I guess the values will be in there. I will check tomorrow.
Sorry about that, kinda got busy and then we had some nasty weather last night (to say the least).

Take a look at this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crankcase Right Hand Cover.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	659532  

"Most people just get swept along with life, they don't work for what they want. Think of every person you know who spends all their leisure time watching TV or getting drunk. These people don't know they're living 'till they're on their death bed."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: ‘18 Tiger 800XRx Lo

Other Motorcycle: 05 HarleySportster XL883C
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraxmel View Post
Sorry about that, kinda got busy and then we had some nasty weather last night (to say the least).

Take a look at this...

I was always taught and practiced when torquing critical parts to going around in proper sequence in the following basic order:
1- hand-run down all fasteners
2- lightly contact fasteners to parts
3- ascertain that component is fitted properly BEFORE any tightening - adjust as necessary
4- torque in recommended sequence to +/- 85% of value
5- torque in recommended sequence to one click below value
6- torque in recommended sequence to value - if you do not get a swing on your wrench examine it and go one click over value.
This seems like a detailed drawn-out and time consuming process but consider it against a cracked or stripped housing, cover or leak etc.
After a couple of times itís second nature and absolutely inspires confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wke002 likes this.

Disqo Roqs 4Evah
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I'm going to guess that #1 is the #2 that's down at around 8 o'clock. I could be wrong, though.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500

Thanks folks. I think I torqued them at 10 or 11 nm. Perhaps I can check em but realistically, margin of error and the accuracy of the torque wrench I own, I think 11 nm wouldn't be too much.

Can you guys answer an unrelated question?

Are there washers on the passenger seat under the bolts? I just removed the rear tailpack "mounting" (the zippered fabric thingy) and the instructions showed washers. I don't recall there being washers there.

Last edited by morkys; 10-21-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Grand Prix 500

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
I'm going to guess that #1 is the #2 that's down at around 8 o'clock. I could be wrong, though.
I would have guessed the opposite since #1 was at the top (at 1 O'Clock) on the Alternator Cover and the rest of the numbers sorta line up between the two. Doubt it matters though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode