Keeping Hands Warm on a Street Triple - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Keeping Hands Warm on a Street Triple

I rode in the cold weather for the first time yesterday, so I decided to throw on some winter gloves. Unfortunately, it completely threw off my finger dexterity to the point where I didn't feel confident operating the controls in the event of an emergency. I don't know if it's just a matter of getting used to or what. Does anyone else have this problem?

In the event that there really is no way around that problem, I considered Triumph's heated grips. I quickly decided they weren't for me and that they only keep your palms warm.

I then considered either heated gloves or winter gloves designed specifically for riding. I would imagine, however, I would still have the same dexterity issue.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 AM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Garage
I have used neat fitting dishwashing gloves under other gloves. Go for the pink ones.
Steve Ford likes this.

I'll have you know I come from the best of convict stock.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:39 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1938 Speed Twin

The heated grips make a good difference, but yeah don't do it all on cold days.. I've been looking to get a set of handguards to block the wind. Most motorcycle winter gloves suck.. gloves marketed more towards snowmobiling are decent.
Stevienh likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: bmw
Garage
I put these on ... look terrible .. but warm hands.
https://www.triumphrat.net/2003871102-post113.html
Scrambler007 likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Site Supporter
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 2006 Sprint ST 1050
Lifetime Premium

Other Motorcycle: 2009 BMW R1200R
Extra Motorcycle: Son's 2010 Street Triple
Medium duty snowmobile gloves will keep your hands warm and still allow you to operate the switches and controls. They are wind and water proof and have gauntlet cuffs to prevent cold air from entering through your sleeves. They're also happy with heated grips. Don't go overboard with the full Arctic styles. Remember that your coldest day riding a motorcycle is likely to be warmer than your hottest day on a snowmobile.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Moto Grand Prix
Main Motorcycle: '15 Street Triple R

Extra Motorcycle: '70 Husq 360 cross
Try silk glove liners for a cheap, quick fix.

Also winter gloves with Thinsulate backs and plain or reduced insulation on the palms are available. These are mainly used with heated grips.

I use Oxford heated grips and am very happy with them.
BonnieJon likes this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 AM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765

You'll get used to wearing thicker gloves. At first it feels a little disconcerting, but you'll adjust quickly enough to the added thickness. I wear Dainese Scout Gore-Tex gloves when the weather dips in the 40s (likely get into the high 30s with windchill, that's as low as I my fingertips will take it), and have no issues whatsoever with the controls, you build up a different muscle memory to compensate.
BonnieJon likes this.

2018 Street Triple R 765 / 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 / 2007 Honda Shadow
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:18 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Scrambler 1200 XE

- You can have the warmest gloves in the world, if they are too tight, you'll freeze your hands off.
- Good heated grips make a big difference (I like the Oxfords, they get much hotter than most OEM grips)
- Handguards can help deflect wind from the hands
- One of the reasons we freeze our hands and feet is that our body is reducing the blood flow to the extremities to protect vital organs. Keeping your core warm will help with keeping hands and feet warm (same applies to boots, if you have thick socks but boots are tight you'll freeze).
- Putting a rainsuit on top of your riding jacket will help not only cut down on the wind, but will help retain your body heat, therefore contributing to keeping extremities warmer.
- I bought a 10$ USB heating pad that I just insert inside my vest on the chest, and it does warm up nicely.
- The faster you go, the colder it feels. Sometimes just slowing down 10-20km/h can help.

I'm in Canada and ride down to around -5C, so had to learned quite a few of these earlier on hehe
BonnieJon and Johnson like this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:01 PM
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: '98 T595 Daytona

Other Motorcycle: 2014 Ninja 1000ABS
If your gloves are not windproof, you won't be warm. I use both Gerbing heated gloves and Oxford heated grips. I have small hands so I know what you mean about thicker gloves. Hippo Hands really do work with heated grips and thinner gloves. Looks weird, but fashion is not the point.
BonnieJon likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Multistrada 1200s
Lifetime Premium

Other Motorcycle: Thruxton 1200 R
Extra Motorcycle: WR250
Ridden thru many a cold winter with heated grips, handguards and heated jacket liner. Keeping your core warm keeps warm blood going to the hands as well.
Scrambler007 and BKK Jack like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode