Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: '19 Street Triple R

Garage
Should I Buy an R or RS?

I finally got permission from my better half to get back into riding after a 10 year hiatus. Test-rode a Street Triple R a couple of weeks ago and fell in love.

Looking at the R and RS, I'd naturally lean towards the R as it's going to be used for commuting most of the time with odd weekend trips; I also have no real expectation of taking it out to a track day. That said, I did enjoy riding fast and whipping through the twisties back in the day.

So my question is: given that I plan to swap out the mirrors anyway, probably would add a belly-pan, and certainly wouldn't mind the quick-shifter, does the RS make sense? Once I've added the above, the price difference is going to be fairly marginal so I wonder whether it's worth simply pulling the trigger and spending a little more to get a bike that I might, perhaps, want to take out to the track sometime.

My other question relates to the engine tuning. I've read a number of reviews that refer to the RS as being a little twitchy compared to the R, resulting in the R being more suitable for somebody with my expected use-case. Does anybody know whether the Road mode on the RS is equivalent to that of the R? Or anything else I might not have thought of?

Ultimately, I guess all the above boils down to this: is the RS realistically just overkill that's going to be so eager to race that it compromises the fun of the commute and weekend excursions?

Last edited by MunkyC; 10-06-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Disambiguation of the final question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Garage
I use my RS for commuting 99% of the time. I've also taken it on one track day and was planning on taking it on a 2 week trip (before it got cancelled). Basically, it's my do it all bike.

From what I've read, the difference in power delivery between the two models is small and, to be honest, I've never felt like my RS was lacking mid-range power or didn't do well on the street. Sure, I do have to feather the clutch more that I had to on my previous Yamahas, but I believe the S and the R models would be the same. For me, when I looked at what came with the RS, it was a no-brainer.

As far as it having a twitchy throttle, I've never noticed it. I run in Road most of the time and have used Sport as well. I actually find I'm more confident transitioning from off throttle to on with this bike than I've felt with any of my previous bikes. It really doesn't feel twitchy at all.

As far as feeling eager to race it or it being overkill, I'm sure if I had an R, I'd feel just as eager to wind it out as I do my RS. And, as far as it being overkill, in both my motorcycles and bicycles, I kinda feel like if I can afford it, and I like it, and I find value in the more costly components, then it's fine. I'm certainly no Valentino Rossi or Mar Marquez, nor am I Chris Froome, Lance Armstrong, or Alberto Contrador, so it's all overkill when it really comes down to it.

Good luck and CONGRATS on the bike... whichever you get!!!
BKK Jack likes this.

"Most people just get swept along with life, they don't work for what they want. Think of every person you know who spends all their leisure time watching TV or getting drunk. These people don't know they're living 'till they're on their death bed."

Last edited by Kraxmel; 10-06-2019 at 10:37 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Grand Prix 125

Dude....get the RS.

I got the R, and am happy with it. I use it for everything as well. Got the mirrors and levers I wanted in the deal along with a few other goodies and that was only cause I came in (triumph of seattle) at the right time purely on accident. But if I hadn't, and had to purchase those things in addition I'd be starting to creep up on the RS cost. I'm thinking about getting a quickshifter which the RS has. Doubt I could tell the difference at my skill level with the ohlins but it'd be fun to look at. I've heard nothing but praise over the front brakes and wonder how much better they feel not that mine are bad. I've heard you'd have to be some kind of track star to feel the difference power wise between the 2, Just seems like you get an awful lot for that extra grand.

If I were to do it again I'd go with the RS. We only live once. Treat yourself. Then again, a new bike is treating yourself whatever you get haha...enjoy the new ride.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Minitwins

Garage
Thanks!

Thanks guys! I guess my best course of action is to skew towards the RS (which is a beautiful Crystal White) but play the two dealers against one another and see who wants to sell an outgoing model year bike the most!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Grand Prix 500

The suspension will likely be stiffer on the RS. That's the only thing I'd take into consideration. I've seen a lot about the RS engine being a bit softer on the bottom. Put in a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket and bob's your uncle on that score. If fact, I'd recommend that mod to everybody with one of these engines. Huge difference, no downsides.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, 2013 Daytona 675R (track bike), 2013 KTM 690 Duke, 2018 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Multistrada 1200s
Lifetime Premium

Other Motorcycle: Thruxton 1200 R
Extra Motorcycle: WR250
I test rode both RS and R, and went with the R. My old Thruxton R had Ohlins suspension, and the bike beat me half to death on regular roads, regardless of how it was adjusted. That's why the Thrux is gone now. The RS suspension felt similarly stiff to me.

For me the R is a lot more street friendly. The suspension is quite good, and fully adjustable. I wouldn't let worries about poor suspension be that much of a factor. Unless your name is Valentino, you will never reach it's limits.
CafRacer likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple 765 RS

I went with the RS because it seemed like a no brainer for the amount of extra gear you get for the price and it came out first. Kinda wish I had the R suspension though, cause it's so much rougher than my previous two sporty bikes. No regrets otherwise.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Minitwins

Garage
I'll confess that I don't understand fancy suspensions very well - I've only ridden non-adjustable bikes in the past. Is it not possible to much with the settings on an RS to reasonably approximate that on an R?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Multistrada 1200s
Lifetime Premium

Other Motorcycle: Thruxton 1200 R
Extra Motorcycle: WR250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyC View Post
I finally got permission from my better half to get back into riding after a 10 year hiatus. Test-rode a Street Triple R a couple of weeks ago and fell in love.

Looking at the R and RS, I'd naturally lean towards the R as it's going to be used for commuting most of the time with odd weekend trips; I also have no real expectation of taking it out to a track day. That said, I did enjoy riding fast and whipping through the twisties back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyC View Post
I'll confess that I don't understand fancy suspensions very well - I've only ridden non-adjustable bikes in the past. Is it not possible to much with the settings on an RS to reasonably approximate that on an R?
Given what you want the bike for, and your 10yr hiatus from riding, I suspect you would be quite happy (happier?) with the R. While it is less track focused than the RS, it's no slouch. The R will rail in the twisty roads and will definitely bring a smile to your face. It's one of the most fun little bikes I've had in a good while, and begs to be ridden fast.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple 765 R

Other Motorcycle: 2009 Buell XB12R
Extra Motorcycle: 2000 Buell Blast
There are at least 3-4 threads on this subject in this forum alone. I've posted in at least 2 of them a rather lengthy comparison of certain features as well as the logic behind the obvious (to me) choice - get the RS...for the component upgrades alone.

Have the suspension tweaked if needed, but there is no way in he!! you will make up the difference in add-ons in the aftermarket for what you get on the RS over the R at purchasing time.

Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode