765 Reliability - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

765 Reliability

Hi Guys!

I've sold my Street Triple 675R and was planning to go to a 765RS. I do around 15,000KMs a year and plan to keep to this. As this is my daily, reliability is key but I also plan to do track days and the twisties often, hence the 765RS.

I've read of some issues with the 765RS mainly some small leaks and a few threads (like 3, so 0 worry on my end) of their engine exploding with low kms.

I am expecting some bias here, but these bikes are 2 years old now, how many of you have 30,000 + worry free kms?

I am use to Japanese and really, never had any issues. My 675R was fool proof, but i did only put about 15,000 kms on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 05:58 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Daytona 675R

Other Motorcycle: Thruxton R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeot12 View Post
Hi Guys!

I've sold my Street Triple 675R and was planning to go to a 765RS. I do around 15,000KMs a year and plan to keep to this. As this is my daily, reliability is key but I also plan to do track days and the twisties often, hence the 765RS.

I've read of some issues with the 765RS mainly some small leaks and a few threads (like 3, so 0 worry on my end) of their engine exploding with low kms.

I am expecting some bias here, but these bikes are 2 years old now, how many of you have 30,000 + worry free kms?

I am use to Japanese and really, never had any issues. My 675R was fool proof, but i did only put about 15,000 kms on it.
I always think you should never buy the first years model of any new bike, especially if it has a new engine.
There may not be major issues but you always get small niggling issues that generally get ironed out with changes on the production line or to quality checks in the factory. Also a new engine generally means they've had different suppliers quoting for parts and subassemblies, they also need time to get their manufacturing process up to standard.

Japanese or other European bikes aren't immune, in the last 10-years triumph have had fewer recalls than Ducati Honda Kawasaki BMW and Yamaha, although obviously they make a lot fewer bikes than those manufacturers.

The loose bolts/ slight oil leak problems seems to be a pattern with triumph and I don't know why but is normally easy to solve if you just do a quick spanner check on your bike when you buy it.

It's probably too early to tell but I would imagine the 765 engine will be just as reliable as the 675 was, it's normally only small ancillary components that cause problems not major engine failures.
DaveM likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Grand Prix 500

I don't know how many thousands of 765's have been sold but I'll bet that 80% of the problems people have show up here. Triumph's warranty rate has been historically low. I've had 5 and only had warranty issues with 1 ('08 Speed Triple). I expect Triumph's, particularly after the first model year, to be as reliable as Honda/Yamaha and more reliable than just about every other manufacturer. And I had warranty repairs on both the new Yamahas I bought new ('84 RZ350 and '06 FZ1).

I'll add that I expect the 765 got more attention to reliability in design and manufacture as Triumph needed modified engines to be very reliable in Moto2. Having any significant failure rate there would have been a disaster for sales.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, 2013 Daytona 675R (track bike), 2013 KTM 690 Duke, 2018 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R.

Last edited by Chip; 10-06-2019 at 08:22 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeot12 View Post
Hi Guys!

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer here. Go onto any other motorcycle forum (Ducati, BMW, HD), and you'll see that their member insist that their brand is as reliable as the Big Four.

Based on my research, you're not going to get the same reliability as you would with one of the Big Four. Take a look at this study, for instance: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ycle/index.htm

I would imagine that someone may criticize articles like this one -- pretty much the same way people in BMW, Harley Davidson, and Ducati forums criticize it. The point remains that Japanese brands have a well-earned reputation for making reliable cars and motorcycles.

With that said, after significant research of various options with shopping for a streetfighter, I'm willing to accept the potential that the Triple is slightly less reliable. It's just an objectively more refined bike that I was drawn to. Also, while Triumph may not be as reliable as Japanese brands, it's certainly more reliable than than motorcycles in general were in the past. In the end, motorcycles--for me--are impractical to begin with, especially a bike as fast as the the Street Triple. I already have a reliable, utilitarian form of transportation -- a Honda Accord. I require my primary vehicle to be in the upper-end of reliability. My motorcycle, however, is a toy.
CafRacer likes this.

Last edited by stowanewb; 10-06-2019 at 11:28 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Grand Prix 500

Thanks for the article. I am stunned by how high the numbers are. Does CR define what counts as a failure elsewhere? Or differentiate between the various kinds of failures? I find it hard to believe that 12% of Hondas leave their riders stranded in the first four years after sale. The two repairs I had on my Yamahas were 1) kill switch stopped working requiring a new harness 9'84 RZ350) and 2) front MC failure ('06 FZ1 -- to be sure it was odd, light pressure on the lever caused it to come to the handlebar, a firm pull and it stilled worked). The '08 Speed had three issues 1) failed cam chain tensioner that stranded the bike; 2) sump gasket leak; 3) spring on the clutch arm on the crankcase broke. I would not have fixed the last one myself as it was out of warranty but I got a goodwill warranty repair.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, 2013 Daytona 675R (track bike), 2013 KTM 690 Duke, 2018 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:03 AM
Grand Prix 250

My 765RS is the least reliable bike I've ever owned. It's been at the dealer for about 11-12 weeks total in the 20 months I've owned it. Actually, it's there now...Friday will be 4 weeks without my bike. (To put that in perspective, I have owned Honda, Yamaha, and Ducati...surprisingly, my Ducati has been the most reliable.)

Usually not major issues. A recurring oil leak, switch cube recall, steering stem doesn't like to stay at the correct torque. Little things. The biggest issue I've had is the current one, where it refuses to start. The dealer said they figured it out and parts were on the way, but they didn't call today, so I'm guessing the new parts didn't fix it.

Honestly, it's making me reconsider keeping this bike long-term. I only have about 4 months of warranty left. Part of me hopes that it'll be good once I get it back, then I can keep it forever and be happy. Another part of me thinks I should trade it for a 2020 in hopes that they've ironed out some of the wrinkles. I'm really not sure yet.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the bike. It's amazing in every way imaginable. I just wish I could ride it more often. (I have 16k miles on it).

Last edited by PatrickR; 10-16-2019 at 03:07 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Grand Prix 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post
My 765RS is the least reliable bike I've ever owned. It's been at the dealer for about 11-12 weeks total in the 20 months I've owned it. Actually, it's there now...Friday will be 4 weeks without my bike. (To put that in perspective, I have owned Honda, Yamaha, and Ducati...surprisingly, my Ducati has been the most reliable.)

Usually not major issues. A recurring oil leak, switch cube recall, steering stem doesn't like to stay at the correct torque. Little things. The biggest issue I've had is the current one, where it refuses to start. The dealer said they figured it out and parts were on the way, but they didn't call today, so I'm guessing the new parts didn't fix it.

Honestly, it's making me reconsider keeping this bike long-term. I only have about 4 months of warranty left. Part of me hopes that it'll be good once I get it back, then I can keep it forever and be happy. Another part of me thinks I should trade it for a 2020 in hopes that they've ironed out some of the wrinkles. I'm really not sure yet.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the bike. It's amazing in every way imaginable. I just wish I could ride it more often. (I have 16k miles on it).
Sounds like you got a bad one. Even I would dump it, although I'd probably push the dealer and Triumph to give a high trade in on a new or used one from the same dealer -- only because it seems the best way to recoup as much as possible. Don't know where you are but here I'd be looking at lemon law specs.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Sounds like you got a bad one. Even I would dump it, although I'd probably push the dealer and Triumph to give a high trade in on a new or used one from the same dealer -- only because it seems the best way to recoup as much as possible. Don't know where you are but here I'd be looking at lemon law specs.
That's the thing. It was flawless for the first 10k miles, then the little things started happening and eventually the no starting thing. It's frustrating. I'm just waiting to hear back. I have considered the lemon law but I'm sure it's going to be complicated considering the bike is almost 2 years old and has over 16k miles.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
That's the thing. It was flawless for the first 10k miles, then the little things started happening and eventually the no starting thing. It's frustrating. I'm just waiting to hear back. I have considered the lemon law but I'm sure it's going to be complicated considering the bike is almost 2 years old and has over 16k miles.
Well, as someone who's bike started leaking oil around 6k miles and is getting a new cylinder head at 7k miles, please keep us informed.

I love my bike and would be very sad to see it go, but I'm not unwilling to cut my losses either.

Reliability is a big deal to me.

"Most people just get swept along with life, they don't work for what they want. Think of every person you know who spends all their leisure time watching TV or getting drunk. These people don't know they're living 'till they're on their death bed."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
This is all concerning. It's a shame that European bikes interest me the most, but they are on the lower end of reliability. It's annoying (and a little pathetic) that European and American auto manufacturers just can't keep up. After over 40 years, you would think Harley Davidson, Triumph, BMW, Ducati, etc. would have figured out how the Japanese are making reliable bikes.

/rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode