765RS Won't Start...again - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

765RS Won't Start...again

Well, here we go again. Another problem and I'm starting to run out of patience.

My 2018 RS won't start. Everything seems fine at first. Key on, fuel pump primes, normal startup on the dash, hit starter button and nothing. No click, no turn over, just nothing. Left me stranded 150 miles from home at the start of an overnight ride, which had to be cancelled. Luckily, it would still push-start, so I was able to get it home.

-Leaving my house, first push of button did nothing "huh, that's weird". I happened to roll back a few feet then push the button and it started...strange.
-Stopped for breakfast, bike won't start. Walked it to a shady spot, started right away.
-Stopped for gas, bike won't start. Noticing a pattern from before, I let it roll a few feet in neutral. Starter button worked! started right up. Turned it off to test. Starter button does nothing at first, roll bike, it starts. Very weird, but okay, I can deal with it for now.
-Next gas stop, won't start. Roll it around and try again, not working this time...kept trying but I gave up after a while. Asked a random trucker for a push. Got up to 10-11mph, popped clutch in 2nd gear, its running. Time to turn around and head home.
-From there, I made sure my stops were strategically planned...somewhere near a hill...but I made it home.

This issue came up at 16,733 miles. I was hoping most of the bugs were already sorted by now, if the dash was going to fail, it should have done it already. Apparently that was not the case. We'll see what the dealer says when I find a way to get there...it might be a while...which makes the whole situation worse. I hoped it was just the battery but I swapped it with a new one, no change.

Symptoms are actually exactly like this thread:

https://www.triumphrat.net/street-tr...-starting.html

Last edited by PatrickR; 09-09-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 AM
SuperStock

Have you checked the clutch switch ?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:27 AM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: Daytona 675R

Other Motorcycle: Thruxton R
Check the main connector behind the tft display, maybe moving the bike around is fixing a poor connection?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Grand Prix 500

Intermittent electrical issues are very difficult; I had one very similar to yours but in my case there was no power when the key was on. Long story short, it was a bad multiconnector from the main harness to the ignition key barrel.

Yours may, may, be a bit easier. It sounds like a bad connection that reconnects when the bike is moved in such a way as to 'wiggle' the offending connection. The clutch switch is a very good idea; look also at the kickstand cut out switch. I would go for low hanging fruit first. Putting it on a rear stand, or rear and front will make this easier. Identify the clutch and sidestand switches and where the wires from them connect to the wiring harness. Turn the key on and try starting it. Then try wiggling the switch and connection to see of you can either get it to start (if it didn't when you first tried it) or stop starting (if it did when you started). If it turns out one is the culprit you can remove and replace it -- or break out an ohm meter and figure out if it is the switch. If it turns out not to be the switch return to the process and see if fiddling with the connector reproduces the symptoms. If so, you'll need a new wiring harness under warranty but you can run a jumper wire in the meantime.

Edit: check the TFT connection but I think that would cause a general electrical failure.

If it's neither of those switches you'll need to get a wiring diagram and find out where else there are connections that might fail.

Hope this helps.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, 2013 Daytona 675R (track bike), 2013 KTM 690 Duke, 2017 KTM SD GT, 2018 Street Triple RS.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Thanks for the replies.

I messed with the clutch and kickstand switch a lot, checking wires and function. The kickstand switch should still let it start in neutral so I kinda ruled that out. The clutch switch is a possibility, but the connection is not easily accessible. I did wiggle the wires a lot, but nothing seemed to help.

I'll try to check the TFT connection before dropping it off at the dealer. It would be nice if it was something simple like that. I can't get it to start at all now. Only a push start and pop the clutch. That's probably how I will have to take it to the dealer.

I have about 6 months of warranty remaining so it's not the worst thing, but the time without my bike is soul crushing, especially this time of year. A local dealer already had it for 6 weeks trying to figure out a brake issue which they never fixed (I had to fix it myself). Hopefully I'll have better luck this time.

Last edited by PatrickR; 09-11-2019 at 02:29 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple 765 RS

A friend of mine had this issue on his 17' RS. It was the clutch switch as it wasn't moving freely and the ECU didn't get the message "clutch's pulled". Bike towed to dealer and they just lubricated the switch
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1938 Speed Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post

I have about 6 months of warranty remaining so it's not the worst thing, but the time without my bike is soul crushing, especially this time of year. A local dealer already had it for 6 weeks trying to figure out a brake issue which they never fixed (I had to fix it myself). Hopefully I'll have better luck this time.
hope you're taking it to a different dealer this time! What was the brake issue/ fix?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfzimmer View Post
A friend of mine had this issue on his 17' RS. It was the clutch switch as it wasn't moving freely and the ECU didn't get the message "clutch's pulled". Bike towed to dealer and they just lubricated the switch
I will check that. I moved the switch with my finger several times when I was trying to get it to start, but I will try again. Thanks for the suggestion, that would be an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
hope you're taking it to a different dealer this time! What was the brake issue/ fix?
I intend to take it to a different dealer. It was a warped rotor. At first, they kept telling me nothing was wrong. Then they "finally felt it" when I refused to pick the bike up. They told me they put in a warranty claim with Triumph and it was approved, just waiting for parts. Weeks went by, I called several times, always said they were just waiting for parts. Eventually, (after keeping the bike for over a month) they called and said "the claim got changed from approved to denied". I called Triumph USA and they told me the claim was submitted and denied on the same day. According to Triumph, there was no brake claim the entire time my bike was sitting at the dealership. Of course, the GM of the dealership told me Triumph USA is lying. The whole thing was BS.

Last edited by PatrickR; 09-12-2019 at 01:52 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1938 Speed Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post
I intend to take it to a different dealer. It was a warped rotor. At first, they kept telling me nothing was wrong. Then they "finally felt it" when I refused to pick the bike up. They told me they put in a warranty claim with Triumph and it was approved, just waiting for parts. Weeks went by, I called several times, always said they were just waiting for parts. Eventually, (after keeping the bike for over a month) they called and said "the claim got changed from approved to denied". I called Triumph USA and they told me the claim was submitted and denied on the same day. According to Triumph, there was no brake claim the entire time my bike was sitting at the dealership. Of course, the GM of the dealership told me Triumph USA is lying. The whole thing was BS.
What a mess... so according to Triumph USA, what was the claim if it wasn't for brakes? Often claims are denied because they're wrote up/ submitted wrong or with the wrong language...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

It was a claim for the left switchcube recall. Funny thing about that, my left switchcube had been replaced 9 months prior to this at a different dealership. Also, the dealer that put in the claim had just completed the 12k service a few weeks before..so why wasnt it submitted then? The GM couldn't answer that question. It was not that long ago, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about that mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in