Had an oil leak - it was the alternator cover - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kraxmel
  • 1 Post By CafRacer
  • 1 Post By BKK Jack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Garage
Had an oil leak - it was the alternator cover

Tomorrow I'm heading out on a 2 week, 6,000 mile trip on the bike. Imagine my panic when this past Monday when I noticed oil on the alternator cover and seeping from a couple of it's bolts. I did some investigation online and found that some people's bolts were loose and at least one other person's output shaft seal was shot.

Anyways, long story short, it was the gasket. But, the telling thing was what the mechanic said when I talked with him. Paraphrasing, he expressed his frustration saying, "every bike that comes in here for it's 600 mile service has loose bolts!"

So, I mention it to say, I had an oil leak and it was the alternator gasket. And also to say, check your bolts. I know when I checked mine before bringing it to the shop, 1/3 of them were considerably loose (like 6Nm instead of 10Nm).
morkys likes this.

"Most people just get swept along with life, they don't work for what they want. Think of every person you know who spends all their leisure time watching TV or getting drunk. These people don't know they're living 'till they're on their death bed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Grand Prix 250

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R
Extra Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
I've been fighting that leak for over two years now. Had the stator and gasket replaced twice while it was under warranty and when I went back a third time after the warranty had run out the dealer said that it happens on a lot of these bikes.

Mine drips maybe one drop after each ride onto the coolant hose below the cover as the engine cools. I haven't noticed any oil travelling from the wind during a ride but I do check the oil often and it's not going down so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

My fiancé's R has some vapor leaks around the gasket but nothing is dripping yet. I wonder if the 'new' Street Triple we've seen in leaked photos has a redesigned gasket/stator grommet.

2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 R (fiancé's)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (also the fiancé's)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: Daytona 675R

Other Motorcycle: Thruxton R
Don't know what it is with triumph and tightening things, my Daytona was the same, most of the engine case and sump bolts were slightly loose but then you put the bike in for a service and they tighten up the oil filter so much that you have to punch a screwdriver through it 😠
Kraxmel likes this.

2016 Thruxton R, track racer kit, x pipe decat, US Vance and Hines, de-snorkel, no slack throttle mod, heated grips, 17t fr sprocket, quickshifter, TuneECU remap with custom riding modes.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottty View Post
Don't know what it is with triumph and tightening things, my Daytona was the same, most of the engine case and sump bolts were slightly loose but then you put the bike in for a service and they tighten up the oil filter so much that you have to punch a screwdriver through it 😠
Sorry...I know that's frustrating and imbecilic, but it made me chuckle.
Kraxmel likes this.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiki View Post
I've been fighting that leak for over two years now. Had the stator and gasket replaced twice while it was under warranty and when I went back a third time after the warranty had run out the dealer said that it happens on a lot of these bikes.

Mine drips maybe one drop after each ride onto the coolant hose below the cover as the engine cools. I haven't noticed any oil travelling from the wind during a ride but I do check the oil often and it's not going down so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

My fiancé's R has some vapor leaks around the gasket but nothing is dripping yet. I wonder if the 'new' Street Triple we've seen in leaked photos has a redesigned gasket/stator grommet.
Well, I told the dealer very plainly, "If this thing is going to cause me problems, I'm getting rid of it." He was shocked and tried to said things happen. To which I replied, "My Yamaha never had any problems." And, then I smiled.

I really have no desire or plans to get rid of the bike, but it is disappointing. I had a small coolant leak at 600 miles too. I do believe these bikes are reliable and, for the most part, problem free. I just like to do long trips and worrying about reliability is something I'd rather not do.

"Most people just get swept along with life, they don't work for what they want. Think of every person you know who spends all their leisure time watching TV or getting drunk. These people don't know they're living 'till they're on their death bed."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Grand Prix 250

I have the same leak. Dealer tried to fix it twice already, still leaking. I need to take it in again. It's frustrating but it's minor so I'm not too upset. The more annoying part is just going back and forth to the dealer to fix the stupid thing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Grand Prix 250

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R
Extra Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
My fiancé just told me that hers is leaking the same now too. Seems to be the norm for this bike. Such a good bike to have a bothersome little issue like this.

2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 R (fiancé's)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (also the fiancé's)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1938 Speed Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post
I have the same leak. Dealer tried to fix it twice already, still leaking. I need to take it in again. It's frustrating but it's minor so I'm not too upset. The more annoying part is just going back and forth to the dealer to fix the stupid thing.
You have another dealer to take it to? Pretty obvious that one doesn't know what they're doing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode