• 1 Post By CanberraR3
  • 4 Post By BKK Jack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Street Triple R

Garage
Who's Ridden Both the R and RS?

I purchased an R earlier in the year strictly for use on the street.
It's got great midrange, plus a nice kick in the high revs.
I didn't need the race spec tires or brakes that require a lot more warming up to
function at their peak which I assume I'd never notice the difference of on the street.
The higher spec suspension would've been nice, but I had my bike set up for my weight by a pro and I must say, this is now the best handling bike I've ever ridden.
Anyway, I never got the chance to ride an RS and I'd like to hear from you if you've ridden both bikes.
Compare/contrast etc.
Thanks for your replies.

Constant overstimulation numbs me; but I would not want it any other way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 AM
ufo
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R

I did a test ride on the RS and ended up buying the R.

The biggest difference for me were the brakes. The RS ones had much better feel. I'm assuming better stopping power too but I didn't pull any stoppies on my test ride.
Suspension out of the box was a tiny bit better on the RS too. Once I got the R adjusted for me, it felt even better. Can't say what the difference between an adjusted RS and an adjusted R might be but I suspect they're not significant. Stock mirrors are better on the RS too.

I prefer the more linear power delivery of the R. If you're used to a sports bike, you may prefer the RS in that regard.

Bottom line is I could've went with either and be happy with it. The difference maker for me was the R's red subframe. I know, I know ... :d
OneEyeMan likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R
Extra Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
I have an '18 RS and my fiancÚ has an '18 LRH R. If I had it to do all over again I'd probably have just gone with the R for the slight cost reduction and red subframe.

The RS is stiffer and technically more capable (if you can push it that far) but the R feels peppier around town. The LRH is lower and softer than the RS but aside from that I don't notice a significant difference between the two in day-to-day riding. I'm sure the non-LRH would be fine. I can tell the RS brakes bite a bit faster but I don't ride aggressively, I hardly ever use the quick shifter, and pretty much just commute to/from work during the week with a ride here and there on the weekends.

The RS provides the better suspension, brakes, quick shifter, 3 extra screen themes, lap timer, extra rider mode, and a little more power for top end...plus the belly pan and pillion cover...which I feel is worth the cost difference between the two. That's only if you want that stuff though since you can easily spend more trying to turn an R into an RS. If I had done an R instead I'd probably have just gotten bar end mirrors, the belly pan, and the pillion cover and been happy with it.

For anyone on the fence, if you think you'll ride it hard or track it then the RS may be worth it but if you just want a great all around bike that's slightly cheaper than the RS with nearly the same potential then the R is a great choice. Just change those rabbit ear mirrors if you get the R.
timorgraphik likes this.

2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 R (fiancÚ's)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (also the fiancÚ's)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM
SuperStock

@monkiki for the engine any different between R and RS, let say in uphill, traffic, midrange torque, some people say the difference is hardly noticeable. Currently there is promotion here, the price of RS only $1000 more than R. Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R
Extra Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempolong View Post
@monkiki for the engine any different between R and RS, let say in uphill, traffic, midrange torque, some people say the difference is hardly noticeable. Currently there is promotion here, the price of RS only $1000 more than R. Thanks
Hi @tempolong . There doesn't seem to be any major differences between the feel of the two motors. The R feels a little punchier at city speeds due to the torque curve but it's only really noticeable if you can ride both back to back. For the $1000 difference I'd say go for the RS for the belly pan, pillion seat, and brakes at least...oh, and the bar ends. They're not the best but they're better than the rabbit ears. You'll also get the quick shifter and upgraded suspension too which makes the $1000 difference more worth it.

Even if you don't fully use it, at least you have it if you ever decide to. If you want the red subframe and don't care about the added goodies on the RS (or the promotion isn't available) then there's no issue with the R, aside from the mirrors. :P
tempolong likes this.

2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
2018 Triumph Street Triple 765 R (fiancÚ's)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (also the fiancÚ's)

Last edited by monkiki; 08-14-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:30 PM
SuperStock

thank you @monkiki wish there is a version like RS with R engine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Thruxton 1200

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Street Scrambler
Extra Motorcycle: 2016 Tiger 800 XCX
Garage
I’ve ridden both and like the R engine a little better for round town riding. It has way more oomph than I could sensibly use and delivers it better low down. I like everything else about the RS, especially the mirrors and quickshifter, which pretty much account for the price difference on their own. My wife has an RS and absolutely loves it. Way exceeds her riding but I doubt anyone not on a race track actually needs all of it anyway. My tip would be to go the R if you going to leave it stock. If you intend adding anything to it, go the RS on economic grounds alone.
tempolong likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Grand Prix 125

I couldn't tell much difference between the two. The only thing that stood out to me was that the RS brakes didn't feel very linear to me. Actually, it was bad enough that I mentioned something to the salesman. It's possible that they just needed some adjustment. I much preferred the R, so that is what I bought. The fact that it was cheaper was a bonus.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

I haven't ridden either, but based on the responses my advice would be to get the one that measures higher on your personal wow meter. If that comes down to something as small as the color of the subframe, so be it. Since they are so close in price, that's not really an issue. Some people will say you should get the RS, because it will likely get you more money at some point down the road if you sell it. Motorcycles are not investments, they are purchases. It seems the differences in performance are minor, so that's not really a decision point. Canberra3 is correct about ultimate performance. I'm an intermediate track rider. I've taken my 13 675R to the track many times and don't feel I have ever come close to its limits. Maybe if I were in the expert group? Maybe if I were Jack Miller?

It's splitting hairs, but get the one that "talks" to you. Get the one that every time you see it in you garage you think, "wow, I can't believe that bike is mine." Get the one that every time you ride it, any troubles you might have melt away and it's just you and your bike. My 675 still does that for me after over 6 years, and I still believe I will never sell it.

It's a tough decision to make, but a nice decision to have to make and I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Minitwins

i would definitely spend $1000 more for the RS: for the ohlins, M50 brembos and the bar end mirrors. the extra modes do offer more control. i could live without the quickshifter, even on track days.
i'm not so keen on the super corsa tyres on the RS for their wet performance but that is a short term issue (they don't last long). the do stick amazing well in the dry.
--> RS++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode