My New Street Triple R LRH - Jenny - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R LRH
Lifetime Premium

Garage
My New Street Triple R LRH - Jenny

I traded in my Street Twin today for a Street Triple R (Low Ride Height - LRH). I named her Jenny after Jenny Tinmouth, the current female Isle of Man TT record holder on a motorcycle (and since 2009).

The bike is a 2018, but was brand new.

My first impressions (after putting 50 miles on her today) are as follows:

1. HOLY COLUMBUS OHIO!

I felt like I was riding the street twin, and it was a great bike (and my first bike), but the Street Triple is an extension of me. I feel one with the bike.

Those brakes are insanely good and so communicative, just like the rest of the bike. I think something and the STR is already doing it.

2. SMOOTH, SMOOTH, SMOOTH! Did I say smooth? Amazing engine in terms of vibration and harshness, as in, there really isn't any. The gearbox too. WOW.

3. The suspension, in stock form, is stiff, but not uncomfortable. The same with the riding position.

4. I have not pushed her at all, and haven't had her over about 6K RPM's and only a few very quick (20-25%) throttle squeezes from 4-6K. She is deceptively fast. No drama, but even keeping her under 6K, she just goes.

I cannot wait to see what she does when broken in, but I'll have to wait.

A few negatives, but slight, and not really negatives.

1. I have short legs (hence the LRH model). However, I also have small hands and the clutch lever, even at it's closest setting, is a little much and uncomfortable quickly.

Does anyone know a good replacement clutch lever that I can get adjust to make the lever closer to me/my hand?

2. Everything is too easy for Jenny. Corners that were noticeable and slightly difficult in the Street Twin, Jenny laughs at and barely leans for.

3. She is (obviously) not as torquey down low. She needs a little more twist from a stop to get her going. I stalled once. However, she communicates so well, that I think I will adjust quickly.

Overall, she's amazing. Fit and finish, performance, and comfort. She has it all.

I race a Formula Car and have a 700HP Porsche Turbo. She is Porsche comfortable and Formula Car pre-cognitive and responsive. WOW. I am going to love having her for a long time to come.

I will post pictures soon and update as time goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:03 AM
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 09 Street Triple R

Congrats on the new ride. I just got past 500 miles and did the first service on my 18 R.

One thing on clutch lever, your hand will get sore from all the shifting during break in. When you can get to that 6k RPM range it gets a little easier on the hand. I was looking at getting a set of CRG Levers for my 09 when I had it and am considering getting them for my 2018 R for the same reason. One other thing adjusting the angle of the lever on the bar to make it more natural to your riding position and more comfortable. Just loosen up the mounting screws and rotate the levers while sitting in a natural position and tighten them back up. Keep the allen wrench with you and go for a ride and see what its like when you ride, you might want to tweak them a bit after you really test it on the road.

Just wait until you get to about 200 miles or so and then you really will get to hear that triple engine purr.
dakski likes this.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R

Congratulations on your new bike. One of the best feelings on the planet

As to your slight concerns: #1) There are abundant brake and clutch levers replacements out there. I put Pazzoís on the S1000r and my Monster 1200. Both have the long clutch, short brake combo and I find them extremely easy to install and adjust. That said thereís 3 or 4 other manufacturers that make high quality replacements that Iím sure are of equal quality. Where I donít think anyone ever regrets after market levers I gotta say the Bremboís that are on my Street Triple are really, really good and one of the first bikes I donít feel the urge to swap em out. As mentioned brake and clutch lever angle is really important. Itís one of the first thing Dave Moss (suspension expert) looks at when evaluating rider and bike ergos. Maybe try that first before dropping money on levers?

#2) Not sure I get the ďtoo easyĒ concern. While the Street Triple is not the absolute best handling bike Iíve owned itís certainly in the top 3 (maybe even the 2nd best) and Iíve always found that one of its crowning achievements. If itís safety and out pacing your skill level thatís concerning thatíd certainly be understandable but iíd think your road racing experience will lend a hand in making sure you donít submerge yourself in troubles before youíre ready to submerge yourself in troubles. I havenít met anyone yet that says ďmy bike handles too wellĒ.

#3) Iíve owned a Panigale and still own a Monster 1200. Both have enough torque to yank a locomotive out of the mud in a rainstorm. Thatís fun on very rare occasions when I want to yank a locomotive out of the mud but I find that trait nearly useless for the spirited, smooth, quick riding I aspire to. I gotta figure once you spend a month or two on the Triple the lower torque specs will be a non-starter.

Good luck with the machine as itís truly one of the best out. Looking forward to your thoughts after a few weeks of riding!
dakski and timorgraphik like this.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Supersport 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
As mentioned brake and clutch lever angle is really important. Itís one of the first thing Dave Moss (suspension expert) looks at when evaluating rider and bike ergos. Maybe try that first before dropping money on levers?
I think watching one of his videos is what got me to do it originally. Give credit where credit is due. Dave Moss had some good content back in the day, I am sure he still does. Suspension tweaking is on my list of things to do but I am trying to put on miles to finish break in. I hit 600 on my ride home from work today, 1k more RPM to play with.
dakski likes this.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 250
Lifetime Premium

Garage
150 miles and counting. Loving every second of it.

I ordered Triumph's adjustable (6-way) brake and clutch levers today. I will install when I do my 500 mile oil change.

Amazed at how capable the bike is. I am also amazed at how much fun, communicative, and enjoyable she is to ride even when not being pushed.
Kraxmel and vicenzajay like this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Supersport 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakski View Post
150 miles and counting. Loving every second of it.

I ordered Triumph's adjustable (6-way) brake and clutch levers today. I will install when I do my 500 mile oil change.

Amazed at how capable the bike is. I am also amazed at how much fun, communicative, and enjoyable she is to ride even when not being pushed.
I guess I missed that Triumph made some levers. They look almost exactly like the original CRG roll click levers, perhaps CRG made them for Triumph. Did you go with the standard length levers or did you find a few of the left over shorty levers?

Don't forget to lube that chain at 200 miles, LOL.

Just a little note, if you rotate your clutch lever just make sure and double check the about of free play in the lever. It might change slightly if you rotate the lever. 2-3 MM is the spec.
dakski likes this.

Last edited by Ronin324; 07-28-2019 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Add Note To Check Clutch Lever Free Play After Rotating The Lever.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 250
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I ordered the standard 6-way adjustable levers from Triumph. I prefer them and Triumph does not appear to offer a short lever, at least at this point.

So, I did 155 miles on Jenny the first two days I had her. Then Friday morning I go to start her, and her battery was clearly dead. The key had been out of her overnight and she was definitely off (both engine and electrical) when I got on her to start her, the starter s-l-o-w-l-y turned 1 time, slower the second, and then quit.

I had her towed to my local dealer (where I bought her) and they jumped her right away. So it looks like just a dead battery. She's an 18 and sat for a while, so that is probably all it is, and covered by warranty. However, they wanted to charge the battery up and do a load test to make sure nothing is pulling on the battery, before replacing it.

That can't happen until tomorrow and so I was without her this entire weekend. It was beautiful here in CT, but also very hot. I am disappointed as obviously I want to be riding her, but also, want to make sure that I don't get stranded somewhere and this is a minor problem in the scheme of life.

I'll advise on what they say.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Grand Prix 250

Garage
It's possible you did just what I did the first week I had my R. If you turn the key completely to the left it puts it into 'park mode' which also leave the DRLs on, voila, dead battery. Not a fan of this design but now that I am aware I've never done it again. For me that is where the LOCK position should be.
dakski likes this.

2018 Street Triple R

Last edited by DandyLion; 07-28-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 250
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyLion View Post
It's possible you did just what I did the first week I had my R. If you turn the key completely to the left it puts it into 'park mode' which also leave the DRLs on, voila, dead battery. Not a fan of this design but now that I am aware I've never done it again. For me that is where the LOCK position should be.

It's possible and that's a really good point!

Thank you for the info.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakski View Post
It's possible and that's a really good point!

Thank you for the info.
Do you lock your forks before removing the key? If so, then this very well could be what happened. There is a stop in the cylinder that prevents you from locking the forks or activating the parking lights without positive action from the rider. To get past the stop you have to push down then release the key. The lock function is next, then parking mode. It's very easy to skip past the lock function and go leave it in parking mode. If the sun is up, it's very easy not to notice. I did this once. Once. Then I came up with a foolproof method for ensuring I left my forks locked with the parking lights off:

1. Turn off bike with key
2. Push and release key
3. Turn left until key stops. This will put you in parking mode.
4. Turn key back right one click. BOOM! Fork locked, no lights.

Number 4 is key. If you're in a bit of a hurry getting off the bike, it's very easy to skip right past the lock stop and to the parking stop. Actively moving the key to than back from the parking mode guarantees you leave it on lock. It's pure freaking genius. Just ask me; I'll tell you!
dakski likes this.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode