Tune ECU vs Dealer Tool - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 09 Street Triple R

Tune ECU vs Dealer Tool

Well I am looking at an ECU interface for my bike. I owned Tune ECU before and it was handy on my 09. Since things have changed I have been doing a little research and had a few questions.

From what I have seen

Tune ECU will work for remapping and checking for error codes if you use a Bluetooth adapter and an android device. I have not seen anything in terms of actuation of the ABS break pump or fuel pump if you are servicing the bike.

Dealertool will work with a cable and will run diagnostic checks as well as check error codes. Reset service interval. Not used for remapping.

So for me since I do not use Android devices and am more looking to service my bike I believe Dealertool is a better choice.

Perhaps down the road I would consider getting Tune ECU if I need to.

Is my rational correct or does anyone have some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 AM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R
Super Bananarator

Other Motorcycle: 97 Honda CR250R
Extra Motorcycle: 96 BMW K1100RS
You can pick up a used Android device for TuneECU for less than $50. They just upgraded it too so it works with the newer Triumphs to do mapping as well as diagnostic. I can’t speak for ABS modulation for bleeding but you only need to do that if you have a dry system and need to get the air out of the modulator.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 09 Street Triple R

Thanks Mac, you have always been a good source for info. I went for a ride after making that post and scrolled through the dash and noticed that the 500 mile service is not actually listed in the service interval so I was thinking I was going to need to clear that. Guess I have a bit more time. I did see that comment you made about a used android device in another post when I did a search.

You also answered the other question I had about brake bleeding. I thought it was funny that the manual said to use the Triumph ECU interface for just bleeding brakes. In my work with fluid power systems it made no sense to me if you are just bleeding some air from the system since there is still fluid in the lines. For a complete brake fluid replacement then running the ABS modulator would be necessary.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin324 View Post
For a complete brake fluid replacement then running the ABS modulator would be necessary.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it not be possible to "bleed" the ABS modulator just by riding and braking hard enough to activate the ABS several times?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:17 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: bmw
Garage
I'm no expert on abs ,, but I'd guess that if there's air in the abs , then it'll need to be vented/bled out somewhere.
If the system is closed the air will stay in.?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Super Bananarator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin324 View Post
For a complete brake fluid replacement then running the ABS modulator would be necessary.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it not be possible to "bleed" the ABS modulator just by riding and braking hard enough to activate the ABS several times?
That doesn’t work well as your not moving a volume of fluid through it. It only relieves a small amount of pressure from the main system to allow traction to be regained. It does that repeated. Then yes a bit of fluid is returned to the main system. To properly flush the system yes you would need a diagnostic device to open the abs circuit.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: all sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
You can pick up a used Android device for TuneECU for less than $50. They just upgraded it too so it works with the newer Triumphs to do mapping as well as diagnostic. I canít speak for ABS modulation for bleeding but you only need to do that if you have a dry system and need to get the air out of the modulator.

I'm sure this is in many threads - however, whats a good place to get the cable to connect to my RS vis my pixel? I thought someone had a link in Amazon on a thread but what it took me too was a back pack and cable.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Super Bananarator

I would not connect to a 765 via usb. Bluetooth only. This is how they got around the ECU lockout. Something in the Bluetooth protocol allowed them to basically circumvent the protection on the ECU. Check TuneECU.com for the current list of certified Bluetooth units that work with the latest update.
timorgraphik likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:58 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: all sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I would not connect to a 765 via usb. Bluetooth only. This is how they got around the ECU lockout. Something in the Bluetooth protocol allowed them to basically circumvent the protection on the ECU. Check TuneECU.com for the current list of certified Bluetooth units that work with the latest update.

Great thank you!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Hey, newbie here. Can someone please take a couple of pictures of the Triumph diagnostic connector so I can find it and feel sure I'm connecting correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode