Lowered Footpegs - huge increase in comfort levels for me! - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRT
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 68
Lowered Footpegs - huge increase in comfort levels for me!

After @Mylesb21 's write up here in the Speed Triple forum, I bought a similar set for my Street Triple on ebay (just search for street/speed triple lowering footpegs). The quality is very high but it does require a slight change in the lateral angel of your foot position to allow for the stand-off of the offsetting arm. I was a bit skeptical that lowering just 25mm would make much difference but it's made a massive improvement to my comfort, it just allows my ageing knee joints to be at a little less tight angle.... bliss!

These foot pegs are also available with a 40mm offset but I don't feel that's necessary for me, it's also worth noting that on my bike there probably isn't enough adjustment in the gear/rear brake linkages to allow a 40mm vertical drop and have your feet in a natural position relative to the brake and shift levers.

The only other thing worth noting is that these are really a comfort mod, probably not so good for track day wallahs and canyon carving types due to the decreased ground clearance. I don't do either so I'm happy to be corrected on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Street Triple 765 Lowering Foot Pegs.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	647250  
Lego, StripleRS, chunkles and 1 others like this.
jannerman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Multistrada 1200s
Lifetime Premium
 
mollycbr123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 402
Other Motorcycle: Thruxton 1200 R
Extra Motorcycle: WR250
Got the same pegs. Worked out fine for me. The only thing I don't like about them is the razor sharp edges on the end of the pegs. I ground them down smooth. Those sharp edges could do some real damage if they caught some flesh in a crash. Wrote the company about it too.
mollycbr123 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:49 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Street Triple R
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 18
The Knight Design pegs add 1 inch of legroom, fit perfectly and can be installed using the existing shift rod. I just had mine installed this week and LOVE them. KD builds great stuff, it is made in the USA and beautifully crafted. Iíve had their pegs on my CBR600F4i for several years and they still look brand new.
jannerman likes this.

2019 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i, 1991 Honda Hawk GT
Subito is online now  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 AM
Minitwins
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 16
so a question on this - did you have to adjust the brake pedal or gear level to compensate for the new height and foot angle?
thanks
mcb0 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 AM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Street Triple R
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb0 View Post
so a question on this - did you have to adjust the brake pedal or gear level to compensate for the new height and foot angle?
thanks
Yes, you loosen the two locknuts on the shift rod (I believe the front one nearest the lever is reverse threaded), rotate the shift rod to lower the shift lever and then re-snug the locknuts. I like my shift lever set very low, and the shift rod has enough adjustment to let me get the perfect height for me.

For the brake pedal, you loosen the locknut on the threaded rod behind the footpeg bracket and then pull back the rubber boot at the top of the rod and turn the nut underneath to rotate the rod and lower the pedal. Once you get the right pedal height you re-snug the locknut. I havenít tried this yet, it looks like a bastard to get to the threaded brake rod so Iím going to ask my dealer to do it.

2019 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i, 1991 Honda Hawk GT
Subito is online now  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Minitwins
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 16
thanks Subito, I'm gong to look into getting these.
mcb0 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple 765 R
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
I have similar peg extenders. Mine are 30 mm from MFW. I am going to try and adjust the brakes and shifter so that they are as close to back to stock in relation to the new peg height as possible. It is a shame they stick out so much. I am not keen on having to angle my feet inwards in order to use the brake and shifter. I bet you could do some custom macgyvering to get things back to normal.

Has anybody used this setup with a 30 mm lower peg and been able to adjust the brake and shifter both 30 mm lower and somehow brought them out 1/2"...say by using aftermarket shifter and/or brake levers??

Last edited by morkys; 08-15-2019 at 11:26 AM.
morkys is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:48 PM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple 765 R
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
Do you guys have more photos of your lower pegs from different angles?

Quote:
[B] forum, I bought a similar set for my Street Triple on ebay (just search for street/speed triple lowering footpegs). The quality is very high but it does require a slight change in the lateral angel of your foot position to allow for the stand-off of the offsetting arm. I was a bit skeptical that lowering just 25mm would make much difference but it's made a massive improvement to my comfort, it just allows my ageing knee joints to be at a little less tight angle.... bliss!

These foot pegs are also available with a 40mm offset but I don't feel that's necessary for me, it's also worth noting that on my bike there probably isn't enough adjustment in the gear/rear brake linkages to allow a 40mm vertical drop and have your feet in a natural position relative to the brake and shift levers.

The only other thing worth noting is that these are really a comfort mod, probably not so good for track day wallahs and canyon carving types due to the decreased ground clearance. I don't do either so I'm happy to be corrected on this.
How much further do the pegs stick out? I find the MFW setup pushes you out at least 1/2"...maybe more considering your foot can rest slightly inward of the stock peg setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subito View Post
The Knight Design pegs add 1 inch of legroom, fit perfectly and can be installed using the existing shift rod. I just had mine installed this week and LOVE them. KD builds great stuff, it is made in the USA and beautifully crafted. Iíve had their pegs on my CBR600F4i for several years and they still look brand new.
Are the pegs a full 1" lower? The pictures on the Knight Designs website give the impression that they aren't a full inch lower.

Last edited by morkys; 08-20-2019 at 05:53 PM.
morkys is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2019 Street Triple R
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 18
I haven’t measured the KD pegs, they feel like they’re noticeably lower and I doubt KD would exaggerate how much lower they are.

Important note: Today I was at the Triumph dealer who installed the KD pegs, and asked about setting the brake pedal lower. The tech said it was as low as he could put it, and it is still quite high relative to the KD peg. That’s disappointing, and may be a deal-breaker for some people.

I naturally ride with my toes sharply pointed towards the ground, so the brake pedal height constraint may not be so much of an issue for people who keep their feet more parallel to the ground. I have to consciously lift up my right foot on the peg and then pivot to the left over the brake pedal...not great.

There may be an aftermarket brake pedal lever that is dog-leg shaped and thus puts the tip of the pedal lower relative to the lever’s pivot, I dunno. At some point you would have to worry about the pedal hitting the exhaust.
morkys likes this.

2019 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i, 1991 Honda Hawk GT

Last edited by Subito; 08-20-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Subito is online now  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:01 PM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple 765 R
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 78
So he was able to lower the brake pedal but not as much as you'd like?
It's higher relative to the footpeg vs stock?

I like the Knight Designs because they are 25 mm vs my 30 mm which may be too low, and the fact that the Knight Designs don't stick out as much.

I wonder if there are other brake pedals that can be used, especially since it would be nicer if the brake pedal also stuck out a bit more to match the fact that the lower pegs are sticking out a bit more. An aftermarket brake pedal could have the ability to fold up like off road brake pedals do too. I hope there is something out there and we don't have to resort to totally custom stuff.

Of course all this would be made much simpler with a rearset that offered the ability to lower the pegs 1" provided they allowed brake and shifter adjustment. Also would be better being closer to the bike and not sticking out any more.

thanks for the feedback



Quote:
Originally Posted by Subito View Post
I haven’t measured the KD pegs, they feel like they’re noticeably lower and I doubt KD would exaggerate how much lower they are.

Important note: Today I was at the Triumph dealer who installed the KD pegs, and asked about setting the brake pedal lower. The tech said it was as low as he could put it, and it is still quite high relative to the KD peg. That’s disappointing, and may be a deal-breaker for some people.

I naturally ride with my toes sharply pointed towards the ground, so the brake pedal height constraint may not be so much of an issue for people who keep their feet more parallel to the ground. I have to consciously lift up my right foot on the peg and then pivot to the left over the brake pedal...not great.

There may be an aftermarket brake pedal lever that is dog-leg shaped and thus puts the tip of the pedal lower relative to the lever’s pivot, I dunno. At some point you would have to worry about the pedal hitting the exhaust.
morkys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome