RS mirrors vs aftermarket CRG arrows - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R-LRH
Senior Member
 
graniterid3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 137
RS mirrors vs aftermarket CRG arrows

Can anyone with an RS that switched to aftermarket mirrors, especially the CRG arrows, provide any feedback on the difference in functionality/vision.

I have an R with CRG arrows and the small, convex glass is good and I have pretty much zero vibration, but the physical location requires a a physical look down and off the road to check the mirror...there's no way to just glance with your eyes.

The RS mirrors appear to be up higher and so I'm wondering if it might allow for glance-checks or at least less physical movement. However, I'm concerned re: reports of excessive vibration with the stock RS mirrors.

Thoughts? Any other aftermarket suggestions?

2018 Street Triple R - LRH, Crystal White - ASV levers, passenger peg delete, tailtidy, and cowl.
graniterid3r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Site Supporter
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 7,987
If you haven't been riding with the Arrows for very long, maybe give them some time to adjust to them. They may seem not where you would like them, because they aren't where you are accustomed to having your mirrors. I've been riding with Arrows for years, and they are an easy glance for me. If you took the BRC, you might remember that you can only focus actively on a spot that is 3 degrees of your total vision. The rest is peripheral. No matter where mirrors are, they are going to demand you move your active vision off the road ahead to look at them. It's the same with the dash, but you look at that periodically while riding, too.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
BKK Jack is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:01 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765
Senior Member
 
Steaktastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 205
I have an R as well. I did try the RS mirrors. They will vibrate at speed. I have the Rizoma version of your Arrow mirrors, you do get used to the 'looking down', and the vibration is much less at similar speeds than the RS mirrors. I wouldn't have minded the RS mirrors, but found they were a little big for my taste.

2018 Street Triple R 765 / 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 / 2007 Honda Shadow
Steaktastic is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Grand Prix 250
Member
 
DandyLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 48
Garage
From what I've read the actual RS mirrors are on the bad side of good or bad. The other mirrors you can get are A9638117 which aren't made with plastic parts if I recall correctly, I don't know if they vibrate. They are somewhat the size of the RS mirrors(bit smaller I think) Once I got used to the arrows tho, I love them

2018 Street Triple R
DandyLion is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R-LRH
Senior Member
 
graniterid3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
If you haven't been riding with the Arrows for very long, maybe give them some time to adjust to them. They may seem not where you would like them, because they aren't where you are accustomed to having your mirrors. I've been riding with Arrows for years, and they are an easy glance for me. If you took the BRC, you might remember that you can only focus actively on a spot that is 3 degrees of your total vision. The rest is peripheral. No matter where mirrors are, they are going to demand you move your active vision off the road ahead to look at them. It's the same with the dash, but you look at that periodically while riding, too.
Oh, I've got 2K+ with the arrows. They work great and are way better than the stock R stalks, I'm just not in love with them and am trying to gauge whether a slightly higher mirror may provide an additional reason to switch.

Your point is well taken though, especially re the dash. Checking the arrows is just part of my regular riding process already, so any difference is probably negligible.

2018 Street Triple R - LRH, Crystal White - ASV levers, passenger peg delete, tailtidy, and cowl.
graniterid3r is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:31 PM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: RS 765
Member
 
Ruskirider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 97
Love my Arrows. No issues with them.
Ruskirider is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Site Supporter
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskirider View Post
Love my Arrows. No issues with them.
After a little over 6 years with this pair, they have faded to a sort of purplish hue. I thought about trying to re-finish them, but decided that it's not really worth it. I'll leave them until next Winter, then maybe buy a new set. Or...maybe not.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
BKK Jack is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R-LRH
Senior Member
 
graniterid3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
After a little over 6 years with this pair, they have faded to a sort of purplish hue. I thought about trying to re-finish them, but decided that it's not really worth it. I'll leave them until next Winter, then maybe buy a new set. Or...maybe not.
Were they black -> purplish? I got the reds which unfortunately turned out to be more maroon than the red on my R. I think that's part of my beef lol. I shoulda gotten the black!

2018 Street Triple R - LRH, Crystal White - ASV levers, passenger peg delete, tailtidy, and cowl.
graniterid3r is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 AM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765
Senior Member
 
Steaktastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
After a little over 6 years with this pair, they have faded to a sort of purplish hue. I thought about trying to re-finish them, but decided that it's not really worth it. I'll leave them until next Winter, then maybe buy a new set. Or...maybe not.
The arrows I had on my FZ-07 did the same thing. In fact, in that discussion forum, others reported the same thing.
My Rizomas have not changed color, still nice and black.

2018 Street Triple R 765 / 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 / 2007 Honda Shadow
Steaktastic is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Site Supporter
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steaktastic View Post
The arrows I had on my FZ-07 did the same thing. In fact, in that discussion forum, others reported the same thing.
My Rizomas have not changed color, still nice and black.
Interesting. I may have to look to Rizomas. Which ones to you have, how long have you had them, and do they perform as well as the CRG's?

Although, one of the reasons I really like the Arrows is that they easily fold without changing the position of the glass. I park my bike against a wall in my garage and cannot have anything sticking out beyond the end of the bar in "parking" mode.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
BKK Jack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitting OEM Bar End Mirrors on Aftermarket Bars Steve Woolf Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk 3 04-08-2019 07:26 AM
CRG Hindsight mirrors, 2014 Thruxton markwn Air Cooled Twins Talk 5 03-19-2019 07:29 AM
Arrows 2 into 2 aftermarket baffles mixter Air Cooled Twins Talk 2 04-13-2012 10:43 AM
How To: VFR 2K Mirrors on 05+ Sprint Clegg Sprint Forum 1 03-22-2012 09:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome