Mirrors other than bar end - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125

Garage
Mirrors other than bar end

Anyone using aftermarket mirrors other than bar end mirrors?

I live in CA where it's legal to filter between cars and seeing as how the STR bars are already wide, I didn't want to make them even wider with bar end mirrors and run the risk of hitting car side mirrors. I currently have Rizoma Reverse Retro mirrors on and i'm on the fence with them. Would really just like a good looking pair of mirrors on the bar location that has good viewing angles and not just views of my elbows.

Considering trying these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...rrors-series-1

Anyone with any experience with mirrors, please let me know what you recommend.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 PM
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2003 Thunderbird Sport

Other Motorcycle: 2007 Triumph Speedmaster
Extra Motorcycle: 2012 Harley Fat Boy Lo
I have Arlen Ness mirrors on two of my bikes, and will have them on the new bike soon. The quality seems to be good, and I like the way they look.

Mike
Jax Fl.
2007 Speedmaster
2003 Thunderbird Sport
2012 Fat Boy Lo
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:47 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1938 Speed Twin

Whyyyyyy doesn't anyone make mirrors with an adjustment screw/ locking screw at the ball hinge on the mirror side. Pretty much any motorcycle mirror I've ever had has folded in above 80ish mph. Incredibly frustrating. One of the reasons my bike only has 1 mirror.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125

Garage
Just ordered the lightech mirrors I linked above. Will update on if they work out well with viewing angles and looks of it on the bike.
sharkey00 and drz1050 like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: '18 Street Triple R

Other Motorcycle: '90 Honda VFR
Extra Motorcycle: '03 KTM 640 Adventure
I put on Rizoma Radial RS mirrors. There was a bit of a "getting used to it" period, but honestly, now I'm very used to them and very happy. I think they are a bit expensive/poor value, but I've seen a lot of cheaper - and crappier - mirrors.

I never wanted bar ends, and I use my mirrors a lot, functionally.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopparoo View Post
I put on Rizoma Radial RS mirrors. There was a bit of a "getting used to it" period, but honestly, now I'm very used to them and very happy. I think they are a bit expensive/poor value, but I've seen a lot of cheaper - and crappier - mirrors.

In terms of viewing angles, do these mirrors just show your arms or do you actually get a view of what's behind/side of you? The issue with the stock mirrors were that I'd have to bend down while riding to get a view of what was behind. More distracting than safe.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: '18 Street Triple R

Other Motorcycle: '90 Honda VFR
Extra Motorcycle: '03 KTM 640 Adventure
Usual disclaimers about everyone being different, riding positions, etc etc.

It took 3-4 rides for me to feel good about where I had them positioned - and I agonized as I measured pre-purchase (the glass area is smaller than stock, the length of stalk and height are less) - but honestly, I feel they are much better for viewing on either side. The way I have them, I see only the smallest bit of my arm, and clearly to the side. I sometimes tuck my arm a bit in to see straight behind me (e.g. lanesplitting and unsure if there's a rider splitting behind me) but to check lanes for changes, or traffic behind me at speed they're a huge improvement. I'm about 5'10.

The stock mirrors were all kinds of wrong for me, compounded by, I don't think the bend in the stock handlebar is quite right either (for grip position/length/mirror mount). Before switching mirrors I did adjust the rotation of the handlebar a bit and it did help with the ergos, but not as much as replacing the mirrors. Rizomas are a real leap of faith, but in my case, I don't look back and think of the cost - I'm happy with them functionally and aesthetically (mostly - they're not perfect).
tehc0w likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Grand Prix 125

Garage
It probably doesn't need mentioned, but some don't think about it when searching mirrors... convex mirrors give a larger view of the road than flat mirrors of the same size. You just have to remember the distance is "off" "objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

2019 Street Triple R
2019 Can-Am Ryker
2018 KTM Super Duke R
2011 V-Star Custom
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopparoo View Post
That's actually the reason I installed bar ends, because yes, I like to use my mirrors 'functionally' (i.e. see what is behind me). The view in my Reverse Retro's is simply excellent, even when I drive ADV bikes with big elephant ears I don't feel they offer a better view back. They seem small, but the field of view is very large, they don't shake/vibe, and as they are so far beyond your elbows they actually give you the real view of what is happening behind.
BKK Jack likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
That's actually the reason I installed bar ends, because yes, I like to use my mirrors 'functionally' (i.e. see what is behind me). The view in my Reverse Retro's is simply excellent, even when I drive ADV bikes with big elephant ears I don't feel they offer a better view back. They seem small, but the field of view is very large, they don't shake/vibe, and as they are so far beyond your elbows they actually give you the real view of what is happening behind.
This is the exact reason I have bar end mirrors. I started my trials about 4 bikes ago, and after several different types and far too much money spent, I ended up with CRG Arrows. I've now had them on my last three bikes. They replaced the virtually worthless fairing mounted ones on my Honda NC30 and Suzuki SV650S and the completely worthless bar mounted ones on my Street Triple.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode