Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: 2016 Ducati Scrambler UE
Chain Tension

Adjusted my chain for the first time today. Was easy enough but left me fussing that I had the right tightness.

The manual says between 20-30mm and I know in general, better loose that too tight. From what I can see mine is now at 25mm.

But what do you guys generally aim for when setting yours and how precise do you get it?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the measurement will be the same with the back wheel on a bike stand as it would just sitting on the driveway? Or is there some physics Iím missing?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:21 AM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R
Super Bananarator

Other Motorcycle: 97 Honda CR250R
Extra Motorcycle: 96 BMW K1100RS
Correct stand or not it doesnít matter. As long as the load is on the swing arm. Make sure you rotate the wheel until you find the tightest spot the adjust the chain. Middle of the range is fine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:23 AM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: TR6 650 1972

Other Motorcycle: Bonneville T140E 1980
Hi, when I check or adjust mine I sit on the bike as it makes a big difference in tension. No load quite loose but tightens up when sitting on it ! Cheers Steve.
Stevienh likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: '18 Street Triple R

Other Motorcycle: '90 Honda VFR
Extra Motorcycle: '03 KTM 640 Adventure
I aim for the tighter half of the range (so in this case 20-25). Last adjustment had me at 22-23mm. I aim to be +/- 1mm and about the same in the range every time - figure over time it will get looser, not tighter, but regardless, always stay in the spec. My VFR spec is really tight relative to the Triumph or my KTM.

Almost as importantly I try to clean and lube regularly. It's cheaper than replacing the chain...

There are only maybe 2 or 3 things to always be on top of with bikes, and this should really be one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
Adjusted my chain for the first time today. Was easy enough but left me fussing that I had the right tightness.

The manual says between 20-30mm and I know in general, better loose that too tight. From what I can see mine is now at 25mm.

But what do you guys generally aim for when setting yours and how precise do you get it?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the measurement will be the same with the back wheel on a bike stand as it would just sitting on the driveway? Or is there some physics Iím missing?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

My understanding is - unless you are sitting on the bike like the Martian does - you should go to the loose side. A more snug chain will wear itself and the sprockets faster. In extreme circumstances, it can also restrict the movement of your rear suspension.

I adjust my chain backwards. I adjust it so that the most loose spot (if there is one) doesn't quite contact the guide on the bottom of the swingarm. 16k+ miles and I've only had to adjust it a few times, and the sprockets show little to no wear.
Stevienh likes this.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.

Last edited by BKK Jack; 09-23-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Super Bananarator

The chain adjustemet spec is for an unloaded bike. The right end will still have some play when the swingarm is at the angle for the tightest point of chain freeplay. If you sit in the bike you will have to adjust it tighter than spec to get the proper adjustment. If not then it will be looser than spec when you unload it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Grand Prix 250

I prefer the looser side of the range too, just a habit I picked up from all the trackday junkies. As BKK Jack said, tight chain can cause suspension to bind. As long as it doesn't pop off, its tight enough for me...hahaha
Stevienh likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple 765 R

After the first service, at how many miles/km do you find the chain needing adjustment?
How do you folks clean your chain?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Super Bananarator

I lube every 100 miles or so commuting 2-250 touring. I clean it only every 1k or so or when I wash the bike. I use simple green and a grunge brush. Don't get too aggressive you don't want to pack dirt into the o-rings. The only real reason to clean it is to keep dirt away from the moving parts. If you want to keep it pretty then you'll want to clean it much more often and use clear lube. As for adjusting it I check it every 1k or so.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 AM
Grand Prix 500

I shoot for 30 and wouldn't adjust unless it was more than 35. Too tight can do damage to chain, sprockets, gearbox. Too loose causes snatchy throttle. Insanely loose and the chain will come off.

Casual maintenance will result in at least 20k miles from modern chain and sprockets. As a comparison, my '90 Honda 650 Hawk with 40-50 hp needed chain and sprockets at about 9k. My '08 Speed Triple with more than double the hp and torque showed no signs of wear at 17k.

Edit: unless you live in the UK and ride in rain all summer and on salted roads all winter. Then you do have to pay attention to maintenance.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, 2013 Daytona 675R (track bike), 2013 KTM 690 Duke, 2017 KTM SD GT, 2018 Street Triple RS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode