A BIG old warning - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R

A BIG old warning

If you intend to replace youíre 765 grips......DONíT. The throttle side grip is infused permanently with the metal. Nothing......and I mean nothing, NOTHING is gonna remove that grip from the bar. Nothing. Iím 4 hours in and Iíve got nothing. Iíve tried heat, grease of all natureís, razor blades, razor blades to the skin of the metal and virtually every abasive Iím aware of. This thing ainít comin off. Iíve arranged for a tow but.......heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: triumph street triple r

cool down man i know it's a (beep) i put pro grip 714, i took sharp knife to it maybe 1/2 hour but all most broke the bike Thank Triumph. don't hurt yourself
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowow View Post
cool down man i know it's a (beep) i put pro grip 714, i took sharp knife to it maybe 1/2 hour but all most broke the bike Thank Triumph. don't hurt yourself
Ha! Thanks man.😎 Iíll try one more time tomorrow but for those here they really should be aware of the the Titanic job this may be.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600

Naw.... 9 or 10 hours in and Iím no closer to getting the grip off than I was when I started. I can force little 1/100 inch snipettes off here or there but nothing more. I can gouge and scrape into the metal before I can get the glue lose. Itís just mondo beyond belief bonded. Iíve even tried a blow torch. Iím screwed. Itís safe to say the right hand grip on a 765 is NOT removable without replacing the entire bar.

Donít do it... donít do it....donít do it
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600

Here's 10 hours in..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	622482  
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600

Ginormous, epic. embarrassing fail. As I said don't do it....
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 600

As a side note and for perspective...the left hand grip came off and the new one installed in 45 seconds..
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 765 RS

On my other bike, the right side grip is on a plastic throttle tube. What's this about it being stuck to metal? (Educate me about how Triumph did it!)
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: T120

Other Motorcycle: hot thruxton
Extra Motorcycle: TT600 track hack
Holy cowabunga dude .
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:47 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: '18 Street Triple R

Other Motorcycle: '90 Honda VFR
Extra Motorcycle: '03 KTM 640 Adventure
Super bummed to see the trouble you've had, Joseph. I looked at it last Thursday night and just said "no." Put it right back on with the intention of tackling it again with at least 4 hours free. It looks something like a co-molded part, so there's no "peeling" off. And from what I understand there are grippy raised parts of the throttle tube that also need to be sanded down - for feel and also for diameter.

One thing that I see from the photo though, is that it looks like you didn't unscrew the throttle housing, to remove the throttle tube/grip off the handlebar. Don't see that it will make the actual job any easier.

Xorbe, the throttle tube is plastic but has the rubber grip overmolded or co-molded to it - it's not a glue job that you can heat/peel/cut off. The thread on the Oxford heated grips install talks about it some more. According to all those folks it is doable, it is painful, and it is not something that anyone wants to repeat.

The left side grip is also on a plastic tube, but is not similarly molded. As Joseph said, you pull that thing off easy as any other, and a new grip just slides on.
xorbe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in