Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Heated grips on 765 (A9638180)

Hi All,

Has anyone installed these yourself? I read through the install instructions, and it seems pretty straightforward. Asked the dealer for a quote and he said that it can take them several hours to complete... is it something that a semi competent tinkerer can do himself?

- Thanx
- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple 765 R

Other Motorcycle: 2009 Buell XB12R
Extra Motorcycle: 2000 Buell Blast
Here's the thing. I thought about doing the install myself as well, but then I found out that unless you let the dealer install the grips, you lose the 2 year warranty on them. I chose to spend the $100 or so to have them installed by the dealer in this case (most notably to have the option to make them fix them if they didn't work properly).
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2017 Street Triple R

I installed them myself in well under an hour, like many things it's more fiddly than difficult. I hadn't realised that I'd lose the extended warranty on them so @vicenzajay makes a valid point there. On earlier bikes at least, there was a firmware update required to allow all 3 heat levels like it says in the fitting instructions (only 2 were available without it) so I badgered the dealer into doing for free. Don't let them fob you off if you need that doing.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Production 125

Is it bolt-on install or do you need to modify something?
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 400

Ok, thanks guys! Don’t parts like this have a standard time for the dealer to charge you for? I mean, the dealer I asked said “it can take two hours or more” - what if it takes them 4 hours? That sounds ridiculous, of course, but if jannerman did it in less than an hour, then 2 sounds ridiculous too!

- Jon
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Grand Prix 250

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSF View Post
Ok, thanks guys! Don’t parts like this have a standard time for the dealer to charge you for? I mean, the dealer I asked said “it can take two hours or more” - what if it takes them 4 hours? That sounds ridiculous, of course, but if jannerman did it in less than an hour, then 2 sounds ridiculous too!

- Jon
I got mine included when I bought my RS, but, in the discussion they told me it was $164 for labor to install them.

Took them between 1 and 1.5 hours to install them. That's the total time between me handing them the keys and them handing them back to me.

"Most people just get swept along with life, they don't work for what they want. Think of every person you know who spends all their leisure time watching TV or getting drunk. These people don't know they're living 'till they're on their death bed."
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple 765 R

Other Motorcycle: 2009 Buell XB12R
Extra Motorcycle: 2000 Buell Blast
I believe it was one hour for me.....

And, yes - to echo what was said above, ensure they check your firmware. Earlier firmware on our models only gave two levels of heat. It should be three. They should check it, of course, but ensure you have three levels of heat.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Supersport 400

Hey All,

Installed the heated grips yesterday. The dealer wanted over $600 for the grips installed. Sorry, that's just ridiculous, IMO.

The hard part of the installation was getting the cables through the handlebars. Using flexible wire with electrical tape saved the day. Gotta get to the dealer to get the firmware updated since I only get 2 modes right now (the other thread on heated grips discusses the issues here...)

Had to drive home at night last night - the heat is nice! Loving it.

I got a bit of a deal if I bought 2 of those grip sets - I have another brand new set for sale if anyone want em.

- Jon
jannerman and vicenzajay like this.

Last edited by JonSF; 09-17-2018 at 10:28 AM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765

Other Motorcycle: 09 FZ6R
Garage
How much you want for them? Which dealer did you go to for that quote?
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Supersport 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGiant View Post
How much you want for them? Which dealer did you go to for that quote?
I'm asking $275 OBO. Lemme know if you want em. You are in San Jose? Semi local!

I got quotes from both Munroe Motors and Marin Speed Shop. Both were ridiculous. Munroe told me that I should just "get a vest." :-)

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode