Baja Trip - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple RS

Baja Trip

So this will probably spark some emotions and an onslaught of forum troll opinions, but I'll post it anyway.

Two years ago I rode a DR650 from San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas and back, roughly 1400 miles. It was a great trip but will make some changes for the next one. The DR650 was horrendously uncomfortable doing 250 miles or more per day, even with an Airhawk. It also wasn't great on I-5 which is a large chunk of asphalt.

The first change is just going to Mulege. No reason to go further south.

The second change is i'd like to take my Street Triple. The issue is that I'll need somewhere to mount two Rotopax 1.75g tanks since my riding buddies can get 250 miles a tank compared to my 120.

I'm just trying to decide between TKC80's, Anakee Wilds, Pirelli MT60r's, or some combination.

I'd love some input and ideas and if this doesn't work i'll just buy a beater versys or DL650 and sell it when i get back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Speed Triple SE

Other Motorcycle: None
Extra Motorcycle: None
Garage
I say do it with the Street Triple if doable! Sounds like a great trip already

Later
Jon

[SIGPIC[/SIGPIC]2010 Speed Triple SE
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:41 AM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Bonneville T100

Other Motorcycle: Prev. TigerXCX, Tiger abs
I've driven down dozens of time but yet to do so with my bike. Fuel will be your only challenge, though since I last drove (3-4 years ago) I think Pemex added a stop on the previously very long stretch without fuel north of Guerrero Negro. There are also a few companies that make fuel bladders in a similar size to the rotopax but easier to lash on. As for tires. the Anakees have long been a great all-around tire - I've run through several sets. If you leave the pavement just pressure them down. Should be a great trip. What time of year will you be going?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125

I'm thinking November for best weather.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Bonneville T100

Other Motorcycle: Prev. TigerXCX, Tiger abs
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8food View Post
I'm thinking November for best weather.
Great time. BTW, the fuel bladder I got was a Desert Fox out of Australia. Even with shipping it was far cheaper than the Rotopax, and more convenient. Roll up small when empty and lashes on easily most anywhere. I think Giant Loop also makes one but much more expensive.

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Desert-...95-FUELCELLFOX

Also I think the prices are AU dollars so only about $80usd. I got it from this store and shipping was both reasonably and surprisingly fast.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125

I already have the two Rotopax, I just need to figure out how to mount them. The easiest solution would be on a top rack under my bag, but then it's a pita to get to.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125

So I decided to go with the Renntec sport rack. Unfortunately the previous gen crash bars will not fit the 2018 so if anyone else is interested please email Renntec so they know there is some interest.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:13 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: kdx200
I have just come back from 2 weeks in Baja. As somebody has mentioned PEMEX did add another fuel stop right after Guerrero Negro. In fact from what I remember there's one before and after. The one before (when you are going south) does not have internet so you can only pay with cash. Make sure to have enough pesos. It's pretty close to the border of Baja Sur so if you can stretch it, then you can save the cash and pay with a card in Guerrero Negro.

Keep in mind that fuel now is something like $4 a gallon down there.

Download an app called iOverlander. It will help you in locating gas stations, free camping (though all beaches are federal land so camping should be free) and military check points.

I honestly would just stay with something like Michelin Pilot Road 4 or Angle GT tires for the following reasons:

On a hard packed dirt regular tires are going to be okay. You will have to slow down your speed anyway. Even with full on knobby tires you will get stuck riding on the beaches.

80/20 or 90/10 tires are only going to be marginally better off road compared to full on touring tires. Steering geometry and suspension of an ADV or a dual sport/ dirt bike would be able to take advantage of the marginally better traction. On the Streeple I don't think it would make a difference.

Roads were in great condition in April when I was down there. The 22mile section of route 5 is being paved and I would highly recommend against taking it.

I would look into the contacting Twisted Throttle and seeing if SW-Motech is going to make a rear luggage rack for the 765. Something like this:

They also have a fabrication shop at the HQ. They can always mod it to work on 765 as well.

Then just get a Rotopax mount and you should be able to mount an extra 1 gallon of fuel. Maybe 2?...just depends on how much weight the rear luggage rack can carry.

Last edited by poster; 05-27-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 125

Poster,
What did you ride down there, your street triple? I currently have angel GT's on mine. I'm contemplating wether it's worth putting some TKC80's on, or just practicing my dirt riding more on street tires.

I can't really avoid the unpaved section of 5 since I'll be going down the eastern side of the peninsula. As far as pannier racks I decided I'm just going to fab my own to mount the rotopax and keep a duffle or tail bag on the rear rack. The only other piece of gear I'm thinking about is a windscreen, probably the Puig.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:47 AM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: kdx200
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8food View Post
Poster,
What did you ride down there, your street triple? I currently have angel GT's on mine. I'm contemplating wether it's worth putting some TKC80's on, or just practicing my dirt riding more on street tires.

I can't really avoid the unpaved section of 5 since I'll be going down the eastern side of the peninsula. As far as pannier racks I decided I'm just going to fab my own to mount the rotopax and keep a duffle or tail bag on the rear rack. The only other piece of gear I'm thinking about is a windscreen, probably the Puig.
I was driving in my truck. ;p Going to Baja was a part of my cross country trip.

Damn! On my way back I wanted to take route 5 and see the eastern cost of Baja Norte but hearing of reports of people taking 2hours to cross that unpaved section of route 5 I just did not bother.

The question that faces you, should you be uncomfortable riding on TKC80s for 95% of your trip for the sake of traversing 22 miles of unpaved route 5.

I have done my share of long distance riding and I would just stick with the Angel GTs to be honest.

I put on knobbies on a Ninja 650 and took that off road ( sand and hard packed dirt). It sucked and I ate dirt alot. The steering geometry of Street Triple is just not optimal for that type of riding. It's going to suck no matter which tires you choose. I was getting stuck with knobbies in sand on the Ninja. With deeper sand you have to ride at faster speeds, say about 35mph on a light DS or dirt bike where you can lighten up the front end and be on a throttle. Even with knobbies on the Streeple you are not going to be able to do that.

I did not ride the route 5 so I would check the latest reports on what the conditions of that section are. If there are portions with sugar sand you are going to get stuck no matter which tires you have. If it's hard packed dirt then you should be fine on Angel GTs. Just take it really slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode