Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Why do “some” Harley riders ignore you and not wave back when you wave to them?

18K views 126 replies 61 participants last post by  Steve French 
#1 ·
Out on Saturday for a ride and past three separate Harley riders. Did the usual motorcycle sign/wave and nothing back and was left feeling stupid. Noticing this more and more. I ride a Triumph BTW. Never experience this from any other brand of motorcycle rider! Such a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#35 ·
Harley Riders usually wave at me. I have a TBird Storm. I think they see the dual headlights and think I'm riding a Harley. LOL. A lot of people buy a Harley to affiliate with other Harley owners. It's sort of like a church I think. And that's their right. I respect it. I bought my TBird because I like to ride and wanted something reliable. I'm not a joiner and I don't want to pay 30 grand for a bike.

Wave if you want and don't worry about being waved at. You'll never even meet the non wavers so...so what. Have your own fun.

#36 ·
I have been riding both Harley’s and Triumphs for the past 30+ years. If somebody waved at me while I’m on my Harley and they’re not, I’ll usually wave back regardless. If I don’t, it’s probably because I’m just paying more attention to the road than the passing bikes. I don’t care what other people are riding. It isn’t all that hard to at least give a head nod back. I also have friends that refuse to wave to anybody regardless of what they’re on.

#39 ·
I think they were...

Daydreaming.
Trying to hang on their unstable Harleys.
Noobs who r too scared to let go of one hand just to wave.
Rattled by the loud vibrator of a machine and their eyes are seeing blurry stuff.
Trump-voters to angry at everything.
Ignoring you because you don't have boobs.
In a hurry to go to the bathroom because of their butthole's turtling.

I wouldn't know and I wouldn't waste time thinking why they didn't wave back. I would be too busy having fun riding.

#49 ·
Daydreaming.
Trying to hang on their unstable Harleys.
Noobs who r too scared to let go of one hand just to wave.
Rattled by the loud vibrator of a machine and their eyes are seeing blurry stuff.
Trump-voters to angry at everything.
Ignoring you because you don't have boobs.
In a hurry to go to the bathroom because of their butthole's turtling.

I wouldn't know and I wouldn't waste time thinking why they didn't wave back. I would be too busy having fun riding.
Good grief.....:Not again .......

#40 ·
I find many HD riders return my wave... but the majority of the time when other riders don't return it, it's HD riders. I've had instances where they saw my wave and made a point to look away into the ditch until they were past me, hah. (The Scram more often inspires the sort of head snap-around as other ppl watch it go by...)

Sidenote: I always wave to the Spyders and the scooters, tho I know others don't. Never know when a Spyder rider is an old motorcycle rider who can't balance two wheels anymore, and never know when a scooter rider is someone just gunning to get a real bike as soon as they can swing it...

Reactions: vicenzajay
#41 ·
I have come across a few riders that have told me , they just wont take their hands off the bars and have noticed most of them were new riders. But of course you do have the select few that think their s...t dont stink. Those are the ones that dont bother to wave or nod. I ride an 07 Triumph America and love it. Keep the rubber side down yall.

#42 ·
Why do non HD riders care so much about what HD do or don't do or think? That's the question. Sure there's the glut of them on the road and the whole lifestyle thing going on, but you can find that kind of club attitude with Ducati owners, BMW, sport bike, ADV, etc. Just ride and eat pie. Waving is for traveling on a cruise ship.

#48 ·
I think that this is a security feature offered by HD to its customers.

You own a HD you dont have to wave back. So cool to say f**k off by doing noting but owning a HD. This compliments lousy brakes, so so get-up and inability to turn.

And the best thing is when you meet one of these non-waving HD guys and it turns out its your dentist ;-) Priceless.

#50 ·
Why do you care? Just ride. I'll return a wave, if it's within the "wave zone" (my own criterion related to the 6-20 paces within which a military salute is rendered), but if you're waving to me from across several lanes of traffic and a median on a busy road, don't be offended if I don't see you. I never initiate waves; it simplifies life.

#53 ·
For me, it depends on the situation. In rush hour traffic, it may best to just focus on your surroundings and pass on the wave. I usually wave when out on the two-lane highways and back roads where the ride is relaxed. It doesn't matter to me what brand, size, configuration of bike the other rider is on.

Russ

#60 ·
Here's a good article.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/ten-things-every-other-motorcyclist-is-thinking-too

And cliff notes for those who don't like clicking links:

"I hate when people don’t wave to me.”
Of course you do. You feel like you’ve been left out of something. Totally natural. Here’s the thing: Some riders don’t really give a hoot about someone else who happens to have a motorcycle. Oddly, not receiving a wave apparently really ruins the ride for some people. I have a revelation for some of you wave-shamers: No one actually tries to figure out what kind of bike you are on before they wave. “He didn’t wave because I am on a Triumph!” Nope. He didn’t wave because he doesn’t care about you or your bike. Forget it and move on.

#63 ·
Fifty years ago there weren't many bikes on the road in the USA and riders tended to wave to acknowledge their like-minded rugged individualists. Got in the habit then and still wave to anyone when practical.

FWIW, it was a BIG deal when Malcolm Forbes got the Garden State Parkway opened to motorcyclists in the 1970's. Taken for granted today although "they" still "can't see us"...

#67 ·
For 40 years, the exit east of you. ;)

Yes, knew Hank, Eddie and Jack well. Malcolm was a partner in that store. While Malcolm still rode BMW's, rode with his family a few times. A couple of the kids were also clients later.

#68 ·
It's actually annoying to wave at every bike on the road, I mean there are a lot of riders in my area.
Heck I've seen riders in tight corners laid over but taking a hand off the grip to wave. haha. ... It's okay man you don't have to wave at every bike. Just ride and give a nod on occasion.

#72 ·
Ancient history. Guessing it might be where JR Cigar is on Rt. 10 today or very near there. Haven't been past there in 15 years but was a large building occupied by a garden furniture place. Overhead was probably too high along there. Found this old NYT archive. Scroll down. https://www.nytimes.com/1971/11/13/archives/he-took-hobby-and-made-it-pay.html

After Forbes left the partnership, Slegers moved farther west around Wharton. Long gone too I'd imagine.

Reactions: cadd
#74 ·
No, nothing so complicated. It’s simple, really. Every Harley rider knows what a Harley looks like. If you are riding anything other than a cruiser style bike, they will know you are not riding a Harley. Hence the non acknowledgement from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.