Why do “some” Harley riders ignore you and not wave back when you wave to them? - Page 4 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:16 AM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R
Super Bananarator

Other Motorcycle: 97 Honda CR250R
Extra Motorcycle: 96 BMW K1100RS
I really don't see a point to them. There's very little difference in experience between the tricycles and a Miata. Except a Miata can be had for a lot cheaper and meets all crash standards without the need of a helmet.
RicH2 and Mike K. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:49 AM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 02 Triumph Sprint ST

Other Motorcycle: 05 Ducati Monster 800
Extra Motorcycle: 04 Yamaha FZ6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannon32 View Post

I try not to judge anyone riding by. If I have to resort to three wheels when I’m 90 years old to get out in the canyons, then that’s what I’ll do.
If I get to the point of not being able to ride on two wheels, I will just get a Caterham 7. IT has four wheels, as God intended. That way I can still enjoy the open air, but not on some kludge that was classified as a motorcycle, for DMV purposes.

As for waving, Harley owners never wave around here, and this has been going since the 70s. Back then it was gang members (hells angels, sundowners, et al) who would not wave at jap bikes. And if you were not riding a Harley or chopped Triumph, you were riding a "jap" bike.

I waved at a couple of Harley riders this past weekend in the mountains. Most never waved. I am more likely to get waves from sport bike riders than either Harley or BMW.

"Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz
post #33 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 AM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 02 Triumph Sprint ST

Other Motorcycle: 05 Ducati Monster 800
Extra Motorcycle: 04 Yamaha FZ6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I really don't see a point to them. There's very little difference in experience between the tricycles and a Miata. Except a Miata can be had for a lot cheaper and meets all crash standards without the need of a helmet.
But Miatas are underpowered. I owned two 1st gen Miatas. Those also had rust issues, due to poor design. A miata only gets interesting once you put some other manufacturer's motor in it.

"Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

post #34 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: Bobber Black

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
Out on Saturday for a ride and past three separate Harley riders. Did the usual motorcycle sign/wave and nothing back and was left feeling stupid. Noticing this more and more. I ride a Triumph BTW. Never experience this from any other brand of motorcycle rider! Such a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I used to ride BMWs. Harley riders ignored me. (I was fine with that. ) I've been riding my Bobber a lot the last few days. Harley riders wave at me a lot. Go figure.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Cayman "Black Edition"
post #35 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Site Supporter
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2013 TBird Storm
Lifetime Premium

Other Motorcycle: None
Extra Motorcycle: None
Harley Riders usually wave at me. I have a TBird Storm. I think they see the dual headlights and think I'm riding a Harley. LOL. A lot of people buy a Harley to affiliate with other Harley owners. It's sort of like a church I think. And that's their right. I respect it. I bought my TBird because I like to ride and wanted something reliable. I'm not a joiner and I don't want to pay 30 grand for a bike.

Wave if you want and don't worry about being waved at. You'll never even meet the non wavers so...so what. Have your own fun.

SENT FROM MY PAPER CUP AND STRING
post #36 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 96 Thunderbird

I have been riding both Harley’s and Triumphs for the past 30+ years. If somebody waved at me while I’m on my Harley and they’re not, I’ll usually wave back regardless. If I don’t, it’s probably because I’m just paying more attention to the road than the passing bikes. I don’t care what other people are riding. It isn’t all that hard to at least give a head nod back. I also have friends that refuse to wave to anybody regardless of what they’re on.
post #37 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: '09 T100 EFi

Other Motorcycle: Monster 796 ABS "Pantah"
Extra Motorcycle: K100RS 16/ABS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Syme View Post
But Miatas are underpowered. I owned two 1st gen Miatas. Those also had rust issues, due to poor design. A miata only gets interesting once you put some other manufacturer's motor in it.
Son sold a Mazdaspeed a while back which was a bit more fun. We rode it out to Aiken last year to go shooting and took all the back roads back to Augusta. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...speed-miata-6/

'09 T-100 Forest Green / New England White, TORs, Intiminators & fork tubes raised 15mm, Chrome Ikon 7610 - SP8 Shocks, Custom Sargent Saddle, OEM Chrome Grab Rail, Conti Road Attack 2 EVO's 110/80VR19 & 150/70VR17, 7" Cibie lens and uprated H4 bulb.
post #38 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felony View Post
I rarely initiate a wave anymore. If someone waves, I'll wave or nod back.
Same here. I never wave unless someone waves at me. Too many bikes out during the summer. I can't be waiving at someone every 5 minutes. I just wanna ride and be bobbing my head to the tunes.
gfspencer and Gabriel Syme like this.

Riding it like I financed it.
post #39 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Ducati Scrambler Classico

I think they were...

Daydreaming.
Trying to hang on their unstable Harleys.
Noobs who r too scared to let go of one hand just to wave.
Rattled by the loud vibrator of a machine and their eyes are seeing blurry stuff.
Trump-voters to angry at everything.
Ignoring you because you don't have boobs.
In a hurry to go to the bathroom because of their butthole's turtling.

I wouldn't know and I wouldn't waste time thinking why they didn't wave back. I would be too busy having fun riding.
Gary in Vegas and cadd like this.

A Ducati Scrambler Rider with a Triumph Street Triple 765 RS for a weekend dose of speed thrills.
post #40 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Triumph Scrambler

Other Motorcycle: 2013 Suzuki TU250 (sold)
Extra Motorcycle: 76 Yamaha DT175 (project)
Garage
I find many HD riders return my wave... but the majority of the time when other riders don't return it, it's HD riders. I've had instances where they saw my wave and made a point to look away into the ditch until they were past me, hah. (The Scram more often inspires the sort of head snap-around as other ppl watch it go by...)

Sidenote: I always wave to the Spyders and the scooters, tho I know others don't. Never know when a Spyder rider is an old motorcycle rider who can't balance two wheels anymore, and never know when a scooter rider is someone just gunning to get a real bike as soon as they can swing it...
vicenzajay likes this.

I used to think it was true that money can't buy happiness... then I bought a motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode