Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Why do “some” Harley riders ignore you and not wave back when you wave to them?

18K views 126 replies 61 participants last post by  Steve French 
#1 ·
Out on Saturday for a ride and past three separate Harley riders. Did the usual motorcycle sign/wave and nothing back and was left feeling stupid. Noticing this more and more. I ride a Triumph BTW. Never experience this from any other brand of motorcycle rider! Such a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#78 ·
Not exactly. Most of the "lead" sold here will be made and assembled here. For decades though, same as Triumph, wheels, gauges, some electronics and chrome items have been imported from the orient. Shhh... :D

For tariff/trade reasons even more than labor costs, Triumph built factories there long ago. Ducati followed suit ~ 5 years ago. Can't compete out there for tariff reasons unless your assembly is local.

#88 ·
Ditto here

I always wave, at everyone. And most Harley riders wave back, as many as any other group. At least around here. Yesterday coming back from working on an old septic tank (it's a shyst job, but someone's...) and the Harley in front of me (driving a cage at the time) waved at another Harley, the other Harley just ignored. Don't think it's really bike-specific, I think some just don't know to wave.

#89 ·
It’s the dilution of the bike culture through corporatization. Just like ma and pa shops are being driven out of business by boutique lifeless service-less shops so is the culture in motorcycles. The only place I really find true motorcycle culture now days is at club races. Even motorcycle rally’s are more about being stupid then it is about being with bikes and friends.

#90 ·
You need to attend a BMW MOA or RA rally or some smaller BMW club rally. No one is acting stupid, and some of the people know each other. Even if you don’t know anyone, you can make fast friends with someone there. A BMW bike is not required to attend. :D

#91 ·
I was a BMW mechanic for about 15 years and even worked as a tech at a national in Missoula. I’ve been to a dozen regionals. Most of the guys who cared about bikes are too old to ride now. The new ones are mostly just there to show off. They could care less about what it is it’s just a status symbol. Same as the white collar Harley riders.

#97 ·
For the OP, sometimes I get waved at sometimes I don't across the board with all brands. Sometimes I don't see them until its to late to wave and I am the asshat on a triumph that didn't wave back. Hell I wave at jeeps to. To be honest where I grew up everybody waved at each other, where I live now people give you the stink eye if you wave.

#113 ·
Somewhere, theres a harley forum where someone is asking "why don't triumph riders wave at us."
I seriously doubt that. The closest you will come to this topic is "Why do Other Brands Care If We Wave At Them?"

If being waved at means that much to some of you, I suggest you buy a Wrangler. You'll be over this wave thing in a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#99 · (Edited)
Here, I'll date myself.
In the late 50's there were darn few motorcycles even here in Northern California, one of the Mecca's for bikers. I lived near the Hells Angels Oakland headquarters,

At the time I owned a somewhat customized 1953 Harley (lavender paint, chrome springer front end), and everyone waved at everyone, Hells Angels included. When a I switched to a Bonneville in the 60's everyone still waved at everyone. Just seeing another biker was not real common way back then, so waving seemed a significant brotherhood gesture regardless of what brand bike you rode or who you were affiliated with.

Moving into the 80's and the 90's, on many different bikes, most of the Harley riders of all types tended to stop waving for the most part, for whatever reasons.

Later in the 90's till even now, in this part of the country, whether I'm on my newer Bonneville or a UJM, the Harley riders now, for the most part, tend to wave. They are also by far the most active in events like Christmas Toy Runs and Poker Runs and their overall camaraderie is quite good. Who don't seem to wave, or show up at many events nearly as much, are the sport bikes of most any brand, and usually the smaller displacement bikes.

Also, today, compared to 30 - 40 years ago, there are LOTS more motorcycles and there are times it seems like waving might be over doing it, especially on weekends on the more popular back roads where there can be a fairly constant stream of bikes (sometimes, about as many bikes as cars -- which don't wave at each other).

Today, when riding in more remote areas with fewer bikes it seems like most of the bikers wave, just like way back when there were fewer bikes on the road. And interestingly, the same kind of waving pattern happens on a bicycle around here.

Will bike waving continue ? Probably at least for a while among the more dedicated bikers until bikes become even more ubiquitous.

#100 ·
1971 - I remember being broken down in the wee hours :drippy and pretty much no vehicles around and here comes an old timer on BMW with a little stogey sticking out of his lip - asks me how far I got to go (it was a mile or two down the road to my street) throws me a tow rope and takes me down the road.:bow. 'spose today someone might at least let you make a tow call on their cell if you needed it..

#101 ·
49erx2; said:
Later in the 90's till even now, in this part of the country, whether I'm on my newer Bonneville or a UJM, the Harley riders now, for the most part, tend to wave. They are also by far the most active in events like Poker Runs and their overall camaraderie is quite good. Who don't seem to wave, or show up at many events nearly as much, are the sport bikes of most any brand, and usually the smaller displacement bikes.
I stay away from poker runs. Around here they are just away to drink while riding. A lot of these Harley owners are not good riders sober.

#103 · (Edited)
I find most Harley rider wave if you are on a Triumph there seems to be mutual respect.The only ones who dont wave are not real bikers and the ones who buy a Harley for the image and are yuppies making out there bikers or that type (Dont know if yuppies is the right word but I think everyone the type,wantobes). Ive often ride with Harley riders as there is not enough Triumph were I Live to ride to ride with other cruisers.Ive noticed the same ones who normally don't wave also dont wave at other Harley riders as well.

#111 ·
Did the usual motorcycle sign/wave and nothing back and was left feeling stupid. Noticing this more and more.
HD riders are the most brained washed individuals on the planet which contradicts everything the original founders wanted the brand to be. Here in Florida just about every Harley owner is a 300 pounder, beer gut smoking out of shape mess who over paid for a POS metal with overly expensive maintenance. They are a dying breed as the new generation of buyers aren't forking $20k on a bike. My Harley friends, mostly Fatboy owners (pun intended) have their current HD for more than 5 years and aren't humping on Harley's new models.

#116 · (Edited)
Yesterday on the way to work on my Bonneville, I again got waved at by a rider on an HD. I'm completely convinced this happens _way_ more often on my 2017 Bonneville than it did on my FJ1200. On the FJ, other sport-tourer riders waved, HD riders usually didn't.

Then, on the way home, I stopped to buy gas. While I was taking the pre-pumping quiz administered by the gas pump, an HD pulled up to the next pump. I nodded to him (my hands were full with wallet, credit card, gloves, etc.). He took off his helmet and went inside. When he returned he stopped to ask me about the Bonneville. In almost 20 years of riding the FJ1200, I only remember one occasion when somebody did that (it was somebody who used to own an FJ1200).

The HD rider commented that when he first rode up, he was impressed how good the bike looked for something that old -- then when he got closer he realized it was actually a new bike.

He probably thought I was a bit daft. I was still wearing both helmet and earplugs, and no matter how hard I try I still talk a bit louder than a sane person should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.