Why do “some” Harley riders ignore you and not wave back when you wave to them? - Page 10 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R
Super Bananarator

Other Motorcycle: 97 Honda CR250R
Extra Motorcycle: 96 BMW K1100RS
I was a BMW mechanic for about 15 years and even worked as a tech at a national in Missoula. I’ve been to a dozen regionals. Most of the guys who cared about bikes are too old to ride now. The new ones are mostly just there to show off. They could care less about what it is it’s just a status symbol. Same as the white collar Harley riders.
BravoFox and Delf like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2007 T100

Other Motorcycle: 1972 T100R 500 Daytona
not talking 15 years - more like 50 - there were no where near as many as today. hey it's good for cager brains -they have to more aware - hope so anyway.
post #93 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:14 AM
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave NEO View Post
not talking 15 years - more like 50 - there were no where near as many as today. hey it's good for cager brains -they have to more aware - hope so anyway.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. They're too busy texting with the left, changing the radio with the right and steering with their left knee.
BravoFox likes this.

Riding it like I financed it.

post #94 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 AM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 02 Triumph Sprint ST

Other Motorcycle: 05 Ducati Monster 800
Extra Motorcycle: 04 Yamaha FZ6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I was a BMW mechanic for about 15 years and even worked as a tech at a national in Missoula. I’ve been to a dozen regionals. Most of the guys who cared about bikes are too old to ride now. The new ones are mostly just there to show off. They could care less about what it is it’s just a status symbol. Same as the white collar Harley riders.

That has not been my experience. There are still a good number of BMW riders in their 50s, 60s, and 70s, on the road.

"Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz
post #95 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Site Supporter
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
It’s the dilution of the bike culture through corporatization. Just like ma and pa shops are being driven out of business by boutique lifeless service-less shops so is the culture in motorcycles. The only place I really find true motorcycle culture now days is at club races. Even motorcycle rally’s are more about being stupid then it is about being with bikes and friends.
As everything, it all comes down to money, or at least in this case I think a lot of it does. When I went to college in the early 80's, my quarterly tuition for a full-load was somewhere around $300. Health insurance through the university was another $50/quarter. Of course, I had to add books and living expenses, but minus that, 4 years at my school cost right about $5,000. That doesn't even get a semester for either of my kids today. My friends who didn't go to college all seemed to get good paying tradesman jobs. It seemed like all of us had bikes. I'm unable to pay for all of the school for both my kids, so they will be graduating with school loans to pay off, and entering a job market where employers seem to treat their employees as a resource/raw material - to be used up and tossed aside - instead of an asset.

I seriously doubt subsequent generations have the discretionary disposable income most of us had, when we were in our 20's.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
post #96 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 03:20 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: '99 W650 Classic

Other Motorcycle: '78 R100S Naked
Extra Motorcycle: Working on it
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Syme View Post
That has not been my experience. There are still a good number of BMW riders in their 50s, 60s, and 70s, on the road.

You got one right here

"Let me but live my life from year to year,
With forward face and unreluctant soul..."

Last edited by BravoFox; 05-19-2018 at 03:58 AM.
post #97 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2017 Trophy SE

For the OP, sometimes I get waved at sometimes I don't across the board with all brands. Sometimes I don't see them until its to late to wave and I am the asshat on a triumph that didn't wave back. Hell I wave at jeeps to. To be honest where I grew up everybody waved at each other, where I live now people give you the stink eye if you wave.

Tread lightly Friends.
post #98 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 AM
JFM
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 2017 Street Scrambler

Somewhere, theres a harley forum where someone is asking "why don't triumph riders wave at us."

My general rule is: no helmet = no wave.
post #99 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:25 AM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2006 Bonneville T100

Other Motorcycle: Yamaha Warrior 1700
Extra Motorcycle: Yamaha RZ350
Here, I'll date myself.
In the late 50's there were darn few motorcycles even here in Northern California, one of the Mecca's for bikers. I lived near the Hells Angels Oakland headquarters,

At the time I owned a somewhat customized 1953 Harley (lavender paint, chrome springer front end), and everyone waved at everyone, Hells Angels included. When a I switched to a Bonneville in the 60's everyone still waved at everyone. Just seeing another biker was not real common way back then, so waving seemed a significant brotherhood gesture regardless of what brand bike you rode or who you were affiliated with.

Moving into the 80's and the 90's, on many different bikes, most of the Harley riders of all types tended to stop waving for the most part, for whatever reasons.

Later in the 90's till even now, in this part of the country, whether I'm on my newer Bonneville or a UJM, the Harley riders now, for the most part, tend to wave. They are also by far the most active in events like Christmas Toy Runs and Poker Runs and their overall camaraderie is quite good. Who don't seem to wave, or show up at many events nearly as much, are the sport bikes of most any brand, and usually the smaller displacement bikes.

Also, today, compared to 30 - 40 years ago, there are LOTS more motorcycles and there are times it seems like waving might be over doing it, especially on weekends on the more popular back roads where there can be a fairly constant stream of bikes (sometimes, about as many bikes as cars -- which don't wave at each other).

Today, when riding in more remote areas with fewer bikes it seems like most of the bikers wave, just like way back when there were fewer bikes on the road. And interestingly, the same kind of waving pattern happens on a bicycle around here.

Will bike waving continue ? Probably at least for a while among the more dedicated bikers until bikes become even more ubiquitous.
Dave NEO likes this.

Last edited by 49erx2; 05-20-2018 at 12:18 AM.
post #100 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2007 T100

Other Motorcycle: 1972 T100R 500 Daytona
1971 - I remember being broken down in the wee hours and pretty much no vehicles around and here comes an old timer on BMW with a little stogey sticking out of his lip - asks me how far I got to go (it was a mile or two down the road to my street) throws me a tow rope and takes me down the road.. 'spose today someone might at least let you make a tow call on their cell if you needed it..

Man skall lyssna när en gammal hund skäller.
One should listen when an old dog barks.

~ Swedish proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode