Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple 765RS

Other Motorcycle: KTM Super Duke GT
765 Trackday preperation

I bought my 2018 765RS a couple of weeks ago with the idea to mostly use it as a track bike. If it had been 100% for the track, I would have bought something cheaper but it goes to the track on Sunday for the first time and that's where it will get most of it's break in over the coming weeks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be using their 765's at the track and I thought a thread about track preparation might be useful.

This what I've done to mine so far:
  1. Changed the coolant for "Water Wetter" which is a requirement at most tracks.
  2. Installed Triumph case protectors on both sides.
  3. Added the Triumph frame sliders that attach to the top engine mounts.
  4. Had our local race bike suspension tuner set up the bike for me. Fortunately, I only weigh 185lbs with all my gear so the springs seem OK.

I'll remove the following items only for track days:
  1. Rear view mirrors
  2. Plastic side panels and front turn signals.
  3. Rear number plate hanger and turn signals.
  4. Tape up front and rear lights.

I'll add axle sliders and bar-end sliders at a later date.

I'd be interested to know what you guys have done and also how you disable the lights?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:20 AM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Hypermotard 939SP

Other Motorcycle: Street Triple 765 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan P. View Post
I bought my 2018 765RS a couple of weeks ago with the idea to mostly use it as a track bike. If it had been 100% for the track, I would have bought something cheaper but it goes to the track on Sunday for the first time and that's where it will get most of it's break in over the coming weeks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be using their 765's at the track and I thought a thread about track preparation might be useful.

This what I've done to mine so far:

1. Changed the coolant for "Water Wetter" which is a requirement at most tracks.
  2. Installed Triumph case protectors on both sides.
  3. Added the Triumph frame sliders that attach to the top engine mounts.
  4. Had our local race bike suspension tuner set up the bike for me. Fortunately, I only weigh 185lbs with all my gear so the springs seem OK.

I'll remove the following items only for track days:
  1. Rear view mirrors
  2. Plastic side panels and front turn signals.
  3. Rear number plate hanger and turn signals.
  4. Tape up front and rear lights.

I'll add axle sliders and bar-end sliders at a later date.

I'd be interested to know what you guys have done and also how you disable the lights?

Iím doing similar stuff with my bike. Adding clipons, new rearsets, etc. Iíll post pics once I have most of the stuff sorted out.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2017 Tuono 1100 Factory

Other Motorcycle: 05 DRZ400SM & 75 CB550F
Extra Motorcycle: 79 XS650 Street Scrambler
I just took the headlights off for track day.

2017 Tuono 1100 Factory, 2005 DRZ400SM, 1975 CB550F, 1979 XS650 Street Scrambler, 1983 Goldwing GL1100 Aspencade, 1975/79 XS650 Current project

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: 2010 BMW F800GS
Allan, that's basically what I did for my 765RS before a track day at COTA last November.

Everything except the suspension setup. You can see in this pic what I think is a need for less rebound damping. About a month after the track day, I went to see Roger Albert and his setup confirmed this. Sounds like you are ready.

Are you doing COTA in May?
Attached Images

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawabunga View Post
I just took the headlights off for track day.
That's was the best solution. I did that, found the rear light connectors, disconnected them and taped up the lens, removed indicators, number plate holder, rear peg brackets and the front side panel plastics and I think its ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Allan, that's basically what I did for my 765RS before a track day at COTA last November.

Everything except the suspension setup. You can see in this pic what I think is a need for less rebound damping. About a month after the track day, I went to see Roger Albert and his setup confirmed this. Sounds like you are ready.

Are you doing COTA in May?
You really gave that tire a work out!
It was Roger who set up my suspension. He increased rear pre-load, rebound and compression damping to balance the bike front to back. I did about 100 road miles on it yesterday and it steers beautifully although it was not a representative test. I'll be out of town in May sadly and miss COTA but I'll definitely get there at some point.

This is what it looks like now.....hope I remember how to put it all back together again

conscious likes this.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple RS765

I can understand using the RS on track, it has track pretensions after all, all the marketing guff told us so. Those tyres are track ready and itís definitely tuned for track work, the quick shifter makes life easier on the back straights... Iíll take mine on track one day... but as a track bike itís deeply flawed imho. The riding position is far too neutral and upright, itís like the bike is ready but has forgotten that it needs to accommodate a rider at track speeds.... it can be cured by clip ons, rear sets and a fairing... or you could wait until the Daytona 765RS is released... or just buy a sportsbike for the track... itís the one thing that I think doesnít make sense with the RS.... oh look itís track ready... well actually, no itís not...

Current Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 RS

Previous Bikes: Ducati 899 Panigale, Suzuki GSXR 750 L1, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K6, Suzuki GSXR 600 K4, Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit 600, Moto Guzzi V50, Aprillia Pegaso 125, Yamaha SR125.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrazor View Post
I can understand using the RS on track, it has track pretensions after all, all the marketing guff told us so. Those tyres are track ready and itís definitely tuned for track work, the quick shifter makes life easier on the back straights... Iíll take mine on track one day... but as a track bike itís deeply flawed imho. The riding position is far too neutral and upright, itís like the bike is ready but has forgotten that it needs to accommodate a rider at track speeds.... it can be cured by clip ons, rear sets and a fairing... or you could wait until the Daytona 765RS is released... or just buy a sportsbike for the track... itís the one thing that I think doesnít make sense with the RS.... oh look itís track ready... well actually, no itís not...
There is a reason that all road race bikes have tucked riding positions, fairings and narrow bars, they simply work better at speed. Racing isn't the only reason to go to the track however, and ANY bike can be fun on one. My own reasons for wanting to do track days are to have fun in a safer environment than the street and polish my riding skills on a bike with a riding position that resembles the bikes I prefer to ride on the street (upright). My main street bike has been a KTM Super Duke GT, I'll be renting a Versys 650 in Ireland in August and riding the RS on the street too.

Race bikes for races, but ANY bike you like to ride for track days
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:47 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple RS765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan P. View Post
There is a reason that all road race bikes have tucked riding positions, fairings and narrow bars, they simply work better at speed. Racing isn't the only reason to go to the track however, and ANY bike can be fun on one. My own reasons for wanting to do track days are to have fun in a safer environment than the street and polish my riding skills on a bike with a riding position that resembles the bikes I prefer to ride on the street (upright). My main street bike has been a KTM Super Duke GT, I'll be renting a Versys 650 in Ireland in August and riding the RS on the street too.

Race bikes for races, but ANY bike you like to ride for track days
I didnít say the RS wouldnít be fun on track, a track is a great place to have fun... I disagree that itís a great place to hone your road riding skills though, unless you are at a specific riding school, a track day will do very little for your road skills, except show you what itís like to hit the rev limiter... 😂

Look, I get wanting to take the RS to the track once or twice, if thatís all you do, then it makes sense, but as a bike to take to the track once a month... thatís what wouldnít make sense to me... personally Iíd like to see the KTM on track, now that would be fun!

Good luck....

Current Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 RS

Previous Bikes: Ducati 899 Panigale, Suzuki GSXR 750 L1, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K6, Suzuki GSXR 600 K4, Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit 600, Moto Guzzi V50, Aprillia Pegaso 125, Yamaha SR125.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrazor View Post
I didnít say the RS wouldnít be fun on track, a track is a great place to have fun... I disagree that itís a great place to hone your road riding skills though, unless you are at a specific riding school, a track day will do very little for your road skills, except show you what itís like to hit the rev limiter... 😂

Look, I get wanting to take the RS to the track once or twice, if thatís all you do, then it makes sense, but as a bike to take to the track once a month... thatís what wouldnít make sense to me... personally Iíd like to see the KTM on track, now that would be fun!

Good luck....
Part of the deal with the track I'll ride at is the possibility of guidance from instructors which I'm always glad of. It won't help with awareness of pedestrians and all the usual road hazards, but I do think it will help or perhaps preserve some bike handling skills.

My KTM is a 2016 Super Duke GT and its really interesting to ride it back-to-back with the RS. Apart from mediocre suspension, I thought the KTM handled OK for a sport touring bike but it really seems huge and clumsy compared with the RS. I expected this, but the extent of the difference was surprising. My first track day on the RS is on Sunday and thanks for the good wishes!
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Street Triple R

Converting front street to track:
First, I remove the following: Headlights, front turn signals, seat, rear tail assy, rear side panels, passenger pegs, mirrors (I zip-tie brake reservoir to bar)
Second, I pull the abs fuse (675)
Third, I install my Daytona Sharkskinz superbike tail onto the rear subframe (replaces many expensive parts with one light, cheap part)
Fourth, I change shock and fork suspension settings to track setup (just a few clicks here and there, no ride height or preload changes)
Fifth, check fluids and important bolts (controls, suspension mostly).

The whole process takes me about an hour without hurrying. I put tape over all the open electrical connectors left on the bike, just to keep dirt out (low sides can put dirt everywhere).

I don't adjust tire pressures until the morning of the track day. Rear tire (cold) goes from 38 to 24 psi. Front from 35 to 31. That works well for Supercorsa SPs, which I like but I wish warmed up a little faster.

Hope this helps. Have fun. My track day goals are (in order): (1) Don't hurt myself or others (2) Don't hurt the bike (3) Have fun! (4) Learn something new about riding or setting up bike
conscious likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode