Street Triple 765 Octane Preference - Page 4 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 PM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

You keep on doing whatever you want to do and rationalize it anyway you want, but higher octane - octane being a combustion inhibitor - is no reason to pay more for fuel. You still haven't explained how the magic additives you referred to in your earlier post somehow counteract the additional octane and ensure the charge combusts when it should and how it should. And, you still haven't provided any creditable evidence that your brand of fuel puts up to five times the additives as they do in their regular.

Instead of responding to my direct inquiries, you reply with the somewhat insulting implication that anyone who doesn't use premium fuel in their bike is cheap. Strong argument there, bub.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 AM
Production 125
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: 1984 Ninja 900
I knew I could count on this group to have covered this already! Thanks everybody!
I always put Premium (~91 octane) in my (now sold) 2001 Sprint ST, as per the owner's manual. And out of habit, I put Premium in the Striple for the first few tanks. When I got around to reading the manual carefully, I was surprised to see 87 listed as minimum. I've been putting Plus (~89) in for the last few tanks and listening for knocks, and reminding myself to check here for the group's wisdom. The engine has been running fine. After this thread, I'll switch to Regular (~87) for at least 1 or 2 tanks, and listen again for knocks.
I'm surprised the higher compression Striple can take lower grade gas than the Sprint, but I suppose it's a more sophisticated engine management system.

As for detergents and other additives, I did a bit of Googling. I couldn't find anything on Chevron or Shell's website detailing exactly what they put in their fuels (other than "Techron" for Chevron and Nitrogen for Shell). I also found this interesting Wikipedia page (so take with a big grain of salt) that says "Top Tier" detergent standards must apply to all grades of gas the retailer sells.
Based on my experience cleaning carbs on old bikes, and doing fuel filters and other fuel system maintenance on the Sprint, I think if the bike is ridden regularly (so the gas doesn't stale and leave deposits), and I'm putting standard US retail pump gas in your bike (nothing from a rusty jerry can in a developing country), and the engine doesn't knock, I'm happy putting the lowest recommended octane in the tank.

BTW, I had a 2002 Volvo V70 T5 that also "recommended" premium gas, but said lower grades could be used. It would run on mid grade ok, but I noticed occasional knocking on 87. With the high pressure turbo, the engine management system couldn't cope with lower octane.

Thanks again for all the great info!
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Production 125
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765

Other Motorcycle: 2008 Street Triple 675
Garage
Not to add high octane fuel to the discussion but...:
I have two Street Triples 2008 675 with 55K and 2018 765 R with 4K
The older one runs great on every type of gas i put in, but it seems it likes 87 and 89 better.
The new one 765 R has specific recommendation for at least 91 octane.
I like to put ethanol-free gas but it comes in either 87 or 90 octane. I wonder if 1 or two octanes could cause any issue, mostly for warranty.

"For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses."

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 500
Lifetime Premium

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Speedmaster
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t View Post
The new one 765 R has specific recommendation for at least 91 octane.
Where's this recommendation from?

I'm not near my bike/manual, but the PDF version I have access to is the Euro version and it states; "Your Triumph engine is designed to use unleaded fuel and will give optimum performance if the correct grade of fuel is used. Always use unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of 91 RON."

Internet says that's ~87 octane in the US:
US (R+M)/2 | EURO RON
87 | 91.1

Last edited by Yodie_765RS; 10-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodie_765RS View Post
Where's this recommendation from?

I'm not near my bike/manual, but the PDF version I have access to is the Euro version and it states; "Your Triumph engine is designed to use unleaded fuel and will give optimum performance if the correct grade of fuel is used. Always use unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of 91 RON."

Internet says that's ~87 octane in the US:
US (R+M)/2 | EURO RON
87 | 91.1
This is correct. Euro standards for rating fuel is "RON". US standard is the average being RON and MON which in turn equals AKI (anti-knock index). MON is a higher testing standard and in so when averaged with RON bring the index number downwards.

91 RON in Europe = 87 RON + MON average in US. Same quality gas. It appears Triumph is suggesting 87 for US customers, 91 for Euro folks. Same gas either way
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Street Triple R

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Bobber Black
Extra Motorcycle: 2019 Honda Monkey
But r00t is in Atlanta. The manual for the RS says, "These Triumph motorcycles are designed to run on unleaded gasoline with a CLC or AKI octane rating (R+M)/2 of 87 or higher." -Page 94 r00t, are you reading from a non-US manual? If you're in Atlanta and you can get ethanol free 87, I'd definitely go that route.
Yodie_765RS likes this.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:25 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2017 Bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrazy View Post
You'll get no benefit from running higher octane unless your motor has a knock sensor, so the computer knows when you have higher octane fuel and can advance the timing. My 2014 ST3 doesn't have one and I'm guessing the 765 is the same. I run 87 at the track, and it runs great.

My ST3 did seem to run better on pure gas (my manual recommends pure gas vs 10% ethanol but either is fine), but it wasn't worth going out of my way to get some.
This is exactly my understanding, and I'm losing my mind trying to find out if the 2017 1200s have any sort of knock sensor. It's certainly a shame if they don't seeing how much electronics the bike has. Hell, Buick was using knock sensors in the mid 80s!
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
But r00t is in Atlanta. The manual for the RS says, "These Triumph motorcycles are designed to run on unleaded gasoline with a CLC or AKI octane rating (R+M)/2 of 87 or higher." -Page 94 r00t, are you reading from a non-US manual? If you're in Atlanta and you can get ethanol free 87, I'd definitely go that route.
Yes...in the States 87 octane non-ethanol fuel would be the best of all solutions considering cost-vs-performance variants and assuming it was top grade gasoline. My understanding is 87 non-ethanol would not be any less prone to knocking but would provide for less chance of any cumulative water damage especially over long periods of non use. I would however make the argument that most contemporary engines are MUCH less prone to long term corrosion from ethanol and if in fact one was genuinely worried about water/corrosives there are a bunch of great products (by way of additives) that are really effective in combating that scenario.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:20 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I believe the online owners manual only shows the European version, even if you choose the US as the country. But my printed US Manual also says 87 or better. So I use 87.

2018 Street Triple R 765 / 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 / 2007 Honda Shadow
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:03 AM
Production 125

Other Motorcycle: 1984 Ninja 900
+1. As Beatle said, p 94 of the US manual says use (R+M)/2 >= 87. The back of the book specs say the same thing: 87 unleaded for all the different variants (S, R-LRH, S 660, R and RS).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode