Street Triple 765 Octane Preference - Page 3 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's Striple View Post
You can Google the gasoline of any of the fuel companies like Esso and they state on their websites that premium fuel (91 octane or greater) contain more cleaners than regular fuel and this is more appropriate for high-performance engines. Even though the 675 (with a 12.7:1 compression ratio) will run fine on 87 octane when new, IMO the premium fuel is better to use when the mileage gets higher and combustion chamber deposits build up. Holy crap, an extra buck won't even buy you a cup of coffee these days!
I'm not searching for anything. I'm not the one who made that statement and don't have to back it.

It's not the extra money, it's the misconception that premium fuels are somehow superior in these engines. You did not address how your magic additives somehow counteract the effect of the higher octane, and cause the charge to fully combust as it should, instead of the later, incomplete combustion that results when using higher octane fuel in an engine not designed for it.

Here's several articles to back my stance:

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...g-premium.html

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/premiu...y-vehicles.htm

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/a...r-regular.html

The Edmunds article also contains this paragraph:

Quote:
Drivers used to buy a tank of premium every once in a while to clean their engines. Years ago, premium gasoline contained more detergents and other additives to stop carbon deposits. But experts say that now, because of government regulations aimed at cutting emissions, most major brands of gasoline have plenty of additives in all grades to both protect engines and cut pollution.
765RS likes this.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:53 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 765 RS

Particularly for California, all gas is the same except for additives at the station or as it's loaded into the truck from the same refinery.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple 765 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrazy View Post
You'll get no benefit from running higher octane unless your motor has a knock sensor, so the computer knows when you have higher octane fuel and can advance the timing. My 2014 ST3 doesn't have one and I'm guessing the 765 is the same. I run 87 at the track, and it runs great.

My ST3 did seem to run better on pure gas (my manual recommends pure gas vs 10% ethanol but either is fine), but it wasn't worth going out of my way to get some.
Mostly correct, but you'll need to have a knock sensor AND have your ecu programmed for that higher octane in order to get a performance increase with better octane gas. When the manual states 87 octane, you'll not get any improvements from running 93, knock sensor or not unless you got the ecu flashed to take advantage of the higher knock resistance of a higher octane gas. IE, running 93 in a vehicle which asks for 87 or 91 even with a knock sensor nets you nothing stock, because the ecu doesn't automatically adjust the fuel map to take advantage of anything more than what it was programmed for from the factory.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Lifetime Premium

On the flip side, my 2012 GTI, with it's turbocharged I4 came with about 200hp/200ft-lbs and required 91. I had the ecu flashed, and now it requires 93, but the upside of that is about 250hp/290ft-lbs.

Words mean things.

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:01 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
On the flip side, my 2012 GTI, with it's turbocharged I4 came with about 200hp/200ft-lbs and required 91. I had the ecu flashed, and now it requires 93, but the upside of that is about 250hp/290ft-lbs.
Are they still on a K03 turbo? Get yourself a nice K04, re-tune, and feel the powah! (it worked on my B5 S4...)

(and to stay on-topic: ECU does need to be remapped to take advantage of higher octane)

2018 Street Triple R 765 / 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 / 2007 Honda Shadow
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:23 PM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlipper View Post
I run 87 octane with whatever percentage ethanol happens to be in it, and it runs perfectly. No knocking.

My Harleys, however, sound like pebbles in a tin can on anything less than 92 when I'm hard on the throttle.

Actually, now that I have almost 7000 miles on the Striple, on the now rare occasions when I pull out a Harley they sound and feel like they're falling apart anyway.
They are.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:26 PM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Speed Triple

[QUOTE=Are they still on a K03 turbo? Get yourself a nice K04, re-tune, and feel the powah! (it worked on my B5 S4...)

(and to stay on-topic: ECU does need to be remapped to take advantage of higher octane)[/QUOTE]
What on earth are you talking about?
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburt View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
I mentioned my VW GTI as an example where higher octane fuel is most definitely required, just as a counterpoint to the discussion. Steaktastic followed me on my little tangent.

All done...normal service has been restored...

Words mean things.

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 765RS View Post
Mostly correct, but you'll need to have a knock sensor AND have your ecu programmed for that higher octane in order to get a performance increase with better octane gas. When the manual states 87 octane, you'll not get any improvements from running 93, knock sensor or not unless you got the ecu flashed to take advantage of the higher knock resistance of a higher octane gas. IE, running 93 in a vehicle which asks for 87 or 91 even with a knock sensor nets you nothing stock, because the ecu doesn't automatically adjust the fuel map to take advantage of anything more than what it was programmed for from the factory.
Any vehicle that has a knock sensor will also have the programming. That's the whole point of the knock sensor. I wasn't trying to list everything an engine needs.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph STR

Other Motorcycle: N/A
Extra Motorcycle: Cannondale Freeride MTB
Not being too cheap to spend the extra buck for premium, I'll keep using premium fuel in my high-performance Street Triple engine (with 50,000 kms) for 3 reasons; higher octane, more cleaners than regular, and (where I live) there is NO ethanol in the premium fuel. It's a no-brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode