Anyone go with the R instead of the RS? - Page 7 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Street Triple 765 Talk about the Street Triple 765 model

86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2017 Tuono 1100 Factory

Other Motorcycle: 05 DRZ400SM & 75 CB550F
Extra Motorcycle: 79 XS650 Street Scrambler
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrazy View Post
Yep, that's why. One less thing to remember to do between sessions.

I hope the new 765 remembers what the TC/ABS settings were, so we don't have to reset every time we turn the key.
It remembers the settings but if you're in Track or Rider (w/abs or tc turned off within Rider) it will default to Road mode when turned off/on again. So you do have to switch it back to Track or Rider. But, the settings within those modes is retained.
conrazy likes this.

2017 Tuono 1100 Factory, 2005 DRZ400SM, 1975 CB550F, 1979 XS650 Street Scrambler, 1983 Goldwing GL1100 Aspencade, 1975/79 XS650 Current project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Production 125
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765

Other Motorcycle: 2008 Street Triple 675
Garage
I choose and bought the R vs the RS and I was lucky to get one of the very few bikes allocated for GA until the EOY 2017.
The bike has now about 1300 miles and I am very happy with it with just a few things that I wish were different, but those are the same on the RS.
I have not tried RS, so can't really compare, but I have put 49000 miles on a 2008 Street Triple 675 and even though not huge it is a serious improvement in day to day performance.
Just recently I saw an article that was pointing R has more power in the first 8K but found the brakes to be way worst than the RS. I am okay with the front one but the rear is not spectacular.
Now that the initial excitement is over I am a bit irritated with small everyday stuff - some high frequency vibrations in handlebars, deliberate design that does not allow common aftermarket upgrades, a few and very expensive Triumph aftermarket accessories.

"For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses."

Last edited by r00t; 07-25-2017 at 07:19 PM.
post #63 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple RS

Other Motorcycle: 2017 BMW R1200GS
Extra Motorcycle: Lots of dirtbikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t View Post
I deliberate design that does not allow common aftermarket upgrades, a few and very expensive Triumph aftermarket accessories.
what aftermarket accessories?

post #64 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Triumph Steet Triple

I've commented on the brakes before, and I'm still baffled by Revzilla's assertion that the R's brakes are vague. I don't get it -- I'm thrilled with the brakes!

Regarding the high frequency vibration in the bars -- I haven't noticed that yet on mine ... but I'm still in the honeymoon phase so I can't be trusted just yet. I could feel a little of that in my FZ8 (which has a pretty smooth inline 4), but I guess we can expect some of that from a motor that revs like a maniac. This thing isn't loping @ 3,000 RPMs on the freeway. I haven't been bothered by it just yet, but I wonder if heavier bar end weights might help?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
post #65 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 AM
Grand Prix 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t View Post
I choose and bought the R vs the RS and I was lucky to get one of the very few bikes allocated for GA until the EOY 2017.
The bike has now about 1300 miles and I am very happy with it with just a few things that I wish were different, but those are the same on the RS.
I have not tried RS, so can't really compare, but I have put 49000 miles on a 2008 Street Triple 675 and even though not huge it is a serious improvement in day to day performance.
Just recently I saw an article that was pointing R has more power in the first 8K but found the brakes to be way worst than the RS. I am okay with the front one but the rear is not spectacular.
Now that the initial excitement is over I am a bit irritated with small everyday stuff - some high frequency vibrations in handlebars, deliberate design that does not allow common aftermarket upgrades, a few and very expensive Triumph aftermarket accessories.
Given the awesome number of miles on you earlier street I take it that the handlebar buzz is significantly more noticeable than the older model?
post #66 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Production 125
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Street Triple R 765

Other Motorcycle: 2008 Street Triple 675
Garage
Vin829 - "...what aftermarket accessories?..."

For example:
1. Bar end weights, bar end mirrors. There are so many of them available for the standard 7/8" handlebars but the new bike has these threaded inserts that prevent you to use them.
2. Simple replacement of handlebar grips is also an issue because Triumph has these integrated grips with hard sleeve and specific placement of screws that none of millions aftermarket ones will match.
3. Even though the bike is drive-by-wire equiped it does not have cruise control to relieve your right hand and the size/location of the right side is completely different tham all previous models, so none of the aftermarket Striple Cruise controls that I know of would fit. I purchased and had to return a really good one by Breakaway Products.
4. Luggage/bags are not easy to fit with the curvy shape of the backseat area. I tried a few and they just hang too close over the rear wheel. I saw one suggestion from MCN about DXR Camel that looks decent - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn-mo...iers-tank-bag/
I ordered original tank bag and rear seat bag and I hope they are good and fit well.

Cyclone85 - about brakes and vibration

I like the front brakes - good stopping power but a bit on/off feel
The rear is not very good - wooden feeling and squeaking at times after frequent use.

tjlazeruk - Given the awesome number of miles on you earlier street I take it that the handlebar buzz is significantly more noticeable than the older model?

It is not a fair comparison as I have bar weights on my old 2008 675 and after extensive research I filled the handlebar with ........ rise..;-) I read that it has really good vibration dampening properties and has been used in pipe industries by welders. The vibration in the new bike is more like a high frequency pitch around certain RPMs. Definitely not unbearable but still would love to address.

Just to clarify the new bike is way better than the old one in general. Suspension, headlights, tires, slipper clutch (after adjusting), gear shifting, TFT display are from a different league.

"For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses."

Last edited by r00t; 07-26-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #67 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street triple r

Other Motorcycle: 2006 ninja 250
Extra Motorcycle: 2004 honda vtx
@r00t I don't have 2018 but on the previous model 13-17 the bars have the threaded insert also. Others and myself have found you can get most aftermarket barends to fit by simply unscrewing the oem bolt and getting a longer one to replace it. Use the longer bolt to install new barends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
r00t likes this.
post #68 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
Lifetime Premium

Bar end mirrors are also easily added with an adapter. Check RhinoMoto. The right side grip should incorporate a standard throttle tube. If you have the heated grips, then your left one will likely be on a plastic sleeve screwed to the bar. That can all be removed. I changed mine to work with aftermarket heating elements and grips, so I can change them as needed.
r00t likes this.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get me.
Words mean things.

My life is not without meaning. I can be held up as a bad example.
post #69 of 194 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:43 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Street Triple RS765

Holy Thread Resurection Batman....

Well my 765 buying experience was a bit different to others here, so thought Iíd share...

I was given the R model to test ride... which seems at odds with what most of you guys experienced, and I thought it was a great bike. I had test ridden a 675 about 4 years ago and wasnít enormously impressed, but this time round the 765R really made a great impression. What was the difference? Time, engine capacity, a bunch of little things probably... me mostly I suspect, the desire to ride a naked bike for the first time in 20years...

Anyway, in this country, and I assume in many others, the R and RS are priced very closely... so much so that here in NZ, Triumph have sold very few R models and the dealer said there was chatter about pulling the R model from the NZ market, because all they sold was the S and RS and I think this is potential shame...

And indeed it was so with me, I went for the RS. Coming from a sportsbike background I wanted those high end Ohlins and Showa suspenders, I wanted the M50 brembos, the Super Corsas, the quickshifter.

My assumption was that the RS would be the R with lots of bling!

In hindsight Iíd say this was in fact a bit misguided. The RS is a lot more focused, the engine tune and suspension is aimed at the track in my opinion. It makes for a good road bike but is a lot more at home on the track. The tyres are track tyres, the Ohlins is quiet stiff and needs setting up for different surfaces...

My issue with the RS is this, for a bike that is so track focused the riding position is very relaxed and neutral and at track speeds pretty uncomfortable after any sustained amount of time... it wouldnít have taken Triumph very much to have given the RS a sportier riding position, lower bars, rear sets etc but this bike is currently not fit for itís track pretensions.

So let me round this up by saying this I wish Iíd have test riden the R and the RS... I may have still bought the RS but I would have been more informed instead of making the assumption that the RS was the better bike because it had the expensive bits on it. Donít get me wrong, I really like the RS, but as time goes by one of two things is going to happen. Iím either going to turn it into an R+ with Road tyres and softer suspension and make it more comfortable to road ride, or Iíll go the other way and make it more sport focused and finish the track bike that Triumph began.

And I think that neatly hilights the issue, the R is in my opinion the better bike, it knows what it is, what itís for and what itís owner will use it for, it is complete and fit for purpose. The RS is a great bike, but itís not complete, itís got a split personality, it doesnít know what it is a lot of the time...

If youíre thinking of buying a 765.... test ride as many of the models as you can the S, the R, and the RS... with a bike like this, itís not all about bling...
BKK Jack and vicenzajay like this.

Current Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 RS

Previous Bikes: Ducati 899 Panigale, Suzuki GSXR 750 L1, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K6, Suzuki GSXR 600 K4, Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit 600, Moto Guzzi V50, Aprillia Pegaso 125, Yamaha SR125.
post #70 of 194 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2018 S1000R

Cool

Interesting thoughts dawn razor and thanks for posting.

I feel I was like you when deciding which to purchase (R or RS) but at the time I wanted to buy only the RS was available so it was easy for my simple mind.

That said I still believe for me the RS was the better decision and it does seem the market concurs. Why? Because (though I have no hard data) the RS models here appear to sell out quickly whereas the R models linger.

I see your point about the RS model having higher performance components that may not be necessary but its not like they are "bad" and the suspension is adjustable. Also, if you look at dynos of the two models the difference in curves is there but they are very small. Further, if you want to take the RS to the track you won't need to upgrade suspension or brakes. It seems your only complaint on track is the need for lower bars. For you that may be true but not all of us (me) ride that fast Oh, and if I felt needed I'd rather spend a small amount on lower bars/clipons than thousands on suspension and brake upgrades and a quickshifter.

I guess my point, and to each their own, is that if I had to do it again I would still choose the RS since it simply is a better value if you want quick shifter, rear seat cowl, Track mode (don't get me started), and upgraded suspension and brakes (I for one love the M50s and their levers as well as the better master cylinder etc) and who doesn't like a pretty ohlins shock reservoir

Now, if the R model was priced closer to the S model then more thought would be needed. Bottom line is I think the R model is priced too high versus competition whereas the RS is more of a special version and thus worth the higher cost (components do cost triumph more).

Last edited by windyrun; 02-25-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode