It's starting to look pretty again. Well done (so far)!
You seem to be very motivated. It's worth it.
While you are at it check the charging system and stator to RR connection.
It's beginning to look like a real bike now. I am sure you'll find used parts to replace the broken gears.
Was she hill starting?
Haha, Just hate to see bike like this go to junk yard or became pile of metal.
Here is $500 BMW R1100RT project from last year. Been like this for 10 years, thankfully it was kept inside garage.
Stator and R/R test good. But order a used sh775aa and Triumph harness T2500676 to be on safe side, thanks to the great thread by DEcosse. I have been stranded on roadside by dead R/R or stator before so they are always on my checklist.
Bike is not running when I got it. Starter cover and idler gears removed by dealer and never been put back. Dealer quoted $1000 for the job, and then she just sat outside.
Moisture or maybe even water got into engine through there, oil became a bit milky when drained. Engine turn manually through crankshaft seems okay though.
Found sparg clutch set with idler gears and starter covers for $110 on ebay.
That's shaping up really well, I wish I was that motivated but one puddle and it's over.
While you're at it, hit each disc rotor button with a drop of penetrating oil (another fellow here says he spins them with a suction attachment on a drill). They tend to crust into place if they sit for a long time and then the bike hops when you hit the brakes.
Acetone/ATF mixed at a 1:1 ratio works well and you can make a lifetime supply for under $15.
Got it. Thanks. They seems free when I clean front brake calipers. Will check and clean again later on.
But caliper brake pins got a bit corrosion.