Got my last piece required to finally complete the finished project, the custom Top Triple, back from Anodizer today after being gone overseas for last 2 weeks.
This is a 2006 (K6) GSXR-1000 fork set installed on my '98 T509 Speed Triple.
GSXR parts purchased were
K6 Forks & bottom Yoke/stem
K6 Radial Master Cylinder
K6 Radial Brake Calipers
K6 OEM GSXR Front Fender
K6 OEM GSXR Front Axle
All custom parts were 3D CAD designed by me & fabricated by a friend in his CNC shop.
Custom CNC parts are the
Top Triple Clamp.
Also required new Steering Stem bearing set
Get the bearings from Kevin Kraft @ All Balls Racing:
Their part numbers are:
CR0643 (custom top bearing) is 99-3521/33-1005 (bearing and Seal). Cost is $18.01 for both
2006 GSXR bottom taper roller bearing is 99-3519/33-1003 (30-55-17 mm) Cost is $15.99 for both.
All Balls Better Bearings & Components
Ph: 610-473-0505, 888-228-3323
The Custom Length Brake Lines are Galfer from CycleBrakes
Mounted up the new Top Triple today & pleased to say all fits & works as expected. Also able to test out my custom digital speedo conversion on the road finally & it seems to be doing the job - may need a minor calibration but pretty close for now (within ~ 10% as measured by an urban radar speed indicator).
Some installation notes:
The rotors were not centered in the calipers which measured at 132mm on centre - the rotors measured only 129mm on center so additionally required 1.5mm shim between each wheel hub & rotor to centre them in the calipers.
The axle spacers centred the wheel perfectly between the calipers with the right spacer setting the primary offset spacing from right fork; the left spacer/sleeve then takes up the remaining space on left side with the OEM GSXR axle which slips partially inside that one.
Note that I eliminated the mechanical speedo drive on my conversion so the right spacer is a plain bush effectively.
I modified & installed an Autometer Procycle gauge details of which are catalogued in
Procycle Digital Speedometer Retrofit
I am well pleased with the handling of the bike now - much improved & have to say well worth the effort (well, I'd have to say that right?)
& it doesn't look too bad either!
Here are some of pics
Here is the complete spacer & steering stop-lock kit.
It's amazing how some of the simpler things are so rewarding - I am particularly proud of the caliper spacers.
The original GSXR caliper mount utilizes a male locator bush that is pressed into the fork mounting post: I removed these & as you can see made the caliper spacers of a double-ended design to facilitate the process.
I do still need to complete my finished pics portfolio - lots of the detailed ones but not so many of the whole thing!
Note that I used this T595.net thread
as a most valuable resource as well as the previous install by our very own Kuhlka
Also thank you to Derek at motolab
for his general counsel in reviewing the top triple clamp design from a fabrication perspective and sharing calculations on offset/trail perspective of OEM vs modified.
Update on 12/26/06 (thanks Santa!!!!!!)
OK - the final piece in the front end make-over plan
- aahhh, that's much better!
Braking Wave Rotors and Carbone Lorraine SBK5 pads.
Acknowledgements to PJ's Parts
for the fabulous deal on the rotors.
Started out with by removing calipers of course - I find the top of the radiator is a convenient place to 'park' them so they are not merely hanging on the brake lines
I had to install spacer shims to account for the offset of the GSXR calipers to the rotors on the Triumph wheel - initially had just used 1.5mm shim washers, but made a full circumference spacer this time around - much more practical!
Original OEM Rotor
The temporary spacer shim washers
New full spacer
New spacer installed on hub
New Wave Rotor installed over spacer
The Carbone Lorraine Pads
I need to test it out now! :-D
Will post up full bike pics later.
[ This message was edited by: DEcosse on 2007-05-30 22:18 ]