Main Motorcycle: 1971 Bonneville
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Other Motorcycle: 1962 T100SS
Extra Motorcycle: 1970 CL350
what happened to February?
thanks, mrmlong. i'm expecting to reassess things like this once i'm comfortable with the idea that the bike will last at least this summer without any more major work. in the meantime i'm using nylocks wherever feasible...
and has it really been almost a month since i've put anything up here? well, there's more homemade furniture in my house, i guess, and a few fewer things on my broader to-do list....
which isn't to say i've been idle. i found money for almost all of the remaining necessary parts. new tires/tubes and new mufflers have all arrived. the front tire's mounted and the rear should be done in the next day or two. exhaust's will go on after i've removed the primary cover to make sure i can't continue to ignore the hole someone poked in it (i'm assuming the primary chain came apart? i still don't know why they all break right there - the ones on ebay all seem to have the same problem).
i finally found a fuse block, too - i was surprised with how hard it was to find one for plug fuses that didn't rely on a single hot bus (the only option at any of the 5 auto parts stores that are within a mile of my house). but i found one on ebay that's set up for 8 wholly distinct circuits and it's arriving today.
most of my labor, though, has gone into dealing with the fork legs. i didn't quite keep track, but i'm guessing i spent at least an hour on each with a grinder (regular coarse grit surfacing wheel in a die grinder), followed by (so far) another 45 minutes each with a 50-grit flap wheel. next step is emery paste on a buffing wheel that i'm going to try to get rigged up on my bench grinder (with a non-removable shroud that i expect to hinder access, but hopefully not completely). it's a lot of work but even if i quit now i think they look a lot better than they did with the pimply/wrinkly chrome.
oh, and there's paint on the side covers and air boxes. never had so much trouble with aerosol and fisheyes (rust oleum 'automotive' over rust-oleum self-etching). i did the normal prepping where i wiped down with mineral spirits and have never had trouble before. anyway, i gave up on the details, reasoning that that the few dimples and imperfections that were left after i cut it with rubbing compound were just things i could count as 'patina'. especially since i'm not re-doing the frame. so those bits are still waiting (ahem, 'hardening') and will be polished soon.
pictures on all this soon. still on target to be on the road by april....
Last edited by therabbithole; 03-02-2011 at 12:27 PM.