Well...there's likely no problem with the adaptor I ordered, other than the fact it's not compatible. Did a little research - nerd stuff ahead.
The important part being, that the Amazon adaptor doesn't necessarily use the FTDI chipset that is mandatory for TuneECU compatibility. I discovered this after reading the following in a troubleshooting guide at FTDI - it described my problem with loading the drivers exactly:
4.1 Windows XP Cannot Find Drivers For My Device
This error can occur if the VID and PID programmed into the device EEPROM do not match those listed in the INF files for the driver. The VID and PID programmed into the device EEPROM may be found by using the USBView utility from the FTDI web site. These can then be checked against the VID and PID entries in
the driver INF files. If they do not match, that driver cannot be installed for that device without either reprogramming the device EEPROM or modifying the list of VID and PID numbers in the INF files.
Please note that only your own company VID and PID or FTDI's VID (0x0403) and FTDI PID issued for use by your company should be used in the EEPROM and INF/INI files.
So, armed with the above I downloaded the usbview utility from the FTDI web site
. Fired it up with the Amazon cable attached, and it showed the following:
The critical bits are the idVendor (0x1A86) and idProduct (0x7523) numbers - they don't match FTDI numbers listed in the troubleshooting guide.
A quick search for USB vendor ID's turned up this page
- which shows the codes on my Amazon adaptor belong to QinHeng Electronics, and the adaptor is using their HL-340 USB-Serial adapter chipset - not FTDI's.
So, the short version - if you encounter errors loading the drivers for your cable, download the usbview utility which will verify whether you have an FTDI chipset or not. Unfortunately, with the Amazon supplied cable - who knows whether you'll get one with an FTDI chipset or not.