Another k&n 204 horror story w/Scramber - Page 7 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, Bobber, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.


Sponsored by: Triumph Twin Power Ltd

 36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Legend
Main Motorcycle: 2005 Bonneville Blue 790
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central Maryland, USA
Posts: 10,083
Other Motorcycle: 1973 CB450, long gone
For grabbing by hand, I liked the rough finish on the old Purolators, but Purolators are now not usable on these motors due to the redesigned convex faceplate.
BonnieBlack likes this.

Marty
2005 Bonneville Blue 790cc, AI removed, Staintunes RC, no snorkel, inlet enlarged, 118/40/NBZT needles/1 shim/3 turns, Ikon 7610s, Ricor Intiminators, Barnett green clutch springs, Michelin Pilot Activs, D9 gauge panel, tachometer.
Baltobonneville is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Sprint ST1050 '08
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 60 View Post
Ok, so these are failing outside of the recall range. Wow. And have I been using the nut to tighten them? Sure have, why wouldn't I? I just drained my oil and put my drain plug back in. My hands are slippery, and would slip trying to grip that little filter to tighten it. Just gave 'em a little snug to seat them, didn't wang on them like I was trying to tighten a lug nut. On the Bonnie and my BMW, they're up under the engine. Hard to get leverage down there. On my Honda, it's behind the header pipes. Easier to slide a socket extension between them.

Very interesting reading, and having used K&N oil filters on my motorcycles for years, I'm just hearing about all of the problems now. Noticed a similar thread on the CB1100 forum recently, with a guy who posted about his filter coming apart, and trying to get to the side of the road with an oily back tire (both bikes use KN204), and figured I'd check the Triumph board to see if there were similar issues. This is an eye opener.

I found the K&N recall info on their website, checked mine and they're outside of their stated problem dates, but I guess that doesn't amount for much.

My friend who worked at K&N only had access to powersports parts, or I'd probably have bugged him for some car filters as well. Guess its a good thing that now that he's been gone for a little over a year, I'm now out of my supply of them. Looks like I'm stocking up on the Mahle filters for both bikes.
Never tighten an oil filter with a spanner! Certainly not using the nut on the end of the K&N filters. Told you these were a solution looking for a problem. Always use hand tightening. I have never ever had an oil filter leak doing this and neither have I not been able to get one off having tightened it by hand on either cars or bikes.
E.C.Ewe is offline  
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 AM
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Bonnie T100
Lifetime Premium
 
bonza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,728
Other Motorcycle: Jeep Wrangler
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.C.Ewe View Post
Never tighten an oil filter with a spanner! Certainly not using the nut on the end of the K&N filters. Told you these were a solution looking for a problem. Always use hand tightening. I have never ever had an oil filter leak doing this and neither have I not been able to get one off having tightened it by hand on either cars or bikes.
it is ok to use a spanner or tool to tighten an oil filter, especially where it fits on a Bonnie tucked up under there. and unless you have got dainty tiny hands it is impossible other wise

the main thing is not to over tighten. and as in another thread the torque is a low 8-12 Nm using a special Triumph tool (a fancy spanner) part number T3880312. the torque nominated is equivalent to just "nipped up"

the selling point of K&N filters is the fact they have a nut welded on the end. nowhere does it say for undoing only

the problem with them is the cigarette paper thin sheet metal where the nut is welded on. if it was a thicker gauge then it would not be a problem

2007 Tuxedo T100.
Dom Tourers, TTP breathe, DNA filter,baffle gone, 40/140/1 shim 3 turns, TTP igniter tune, Hagon Nitros, Thruxton Bars, Halcyon bar end mirrors, Pingel fuel valve, Monza gas cap, Burton seat, Avon Roadriders
bonza is offline  
 
post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:23 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: My old 1967 '500
Senior Member
 
Twintorsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gothenburg sweden
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
it is ok to use a spanner or tool to tighten an oil filter, especially where it fits on a Bonnie tucked up under there. and unless you have got dainty tiny hands it is impossible other wise

the main thing is not to over tighten. and as in another thread the torque is a low 8-12 Nm using a special Triumph tool (a fancy spanner) part number T3880312. the torque nominated is equivalent to just "nipped up"

the selling point of K&N filters is the fact they have a nut welded on the end. nowhere does it say for undoing only

the problem with them is the cigarette paper thin sheet metal where the nut is welded on. if it was a thicker gauge then it would not be a problem
Thats exactly the issue. Extremely bad design in that it lets people with less than excellent mechanical feel break the useless tiny spot welds when installing. if the nut part was stamped out from the base metal and a bit thicker it would not break.
Twintorsk is offline  
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 122
Heck, I figured there's no way K&N would design that nut such that it could weaken the filter from a half-turn or so to snug it up. Guess I've been lucky all these years.

In any case, years ago, when I bought a CB750, the tool kit included an oil filter tool that cups over the back of the filter and has a nut on the end of it. Since the filter for that bike was common to the Bonneville, I'm sure I can use it for the Mahle filters I'll be using next time. My hands ain't dainty, and my Porsche snob friends swear by their Mahle filters, so they must be ok.

Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse
2012 Bonneville T100
2013 Honda CB1100
Gone in 60 is offline  
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Site Supporter
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100 SMQ SE
Lifetime Premium
 
Tornado99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,178
Other Motorcycle: 1974 Norton Commando 850
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post

the selling point of K&N filters is the fact they have a nut welded on the end. nowhere does it say for undoing only

I'll just leave this here...




*** Note orange "Wrench Off" text.

2013 T100 Steve McQueen; +NH Togas; -SAI; -O2; +Breathe; +TTP#3; +Avon RoadRiders; +Iron&Resin Sidebag; +Kisan Auto-Off Indicators & BrakeLight Flasher; +MatchlessClueless LED Brake & Indicators; +LED 3000 Lumens Headlamp; +DeCosse Keyless system
Tornado99 is online now  
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Site Supporter
Legend
Main Motorcycle: 2008 Bonneville Black
Driftless Admin
 
BonnieBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fountain City, WI
Posts: 10,690
Other Motorcycle: Spousal 2009 Bonnie Black
Garage
That's not a warning to not tighten with the nut. I mean, saying my dick is for peeing doesn't imply it's not for screwing too.

But, to bolster your argument if you wish, if you search the K&N website long enough you'll find an FAQ saying not to tighten with the nut. Pretty hidden, I suppose because saying "don't tighten with the nut" is identical to "the nut welded to the filter is defective and we are liable for the failures because we knew it when we sold it".
BonnieBlack is offline  
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 122
Was thinking of a good analogy, BonnieBlack, but can't top that one.
BonnieBlack likes this.

Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse
2012 Bonneville T100
2013 Honda CB1100
Gone in 60 is offline  
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2000 Triumph 955i S3
Member
 
Rayvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Myers, Florida, USA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 60 View Post
Since the filter for that bike was common to the Bonneville, I'm sure I can use it for the Mahle filters I'll be using next time. My hands ain't dainty, and my Porsche snob friends swear by their Mahle filters, so they must be ok.
I use Mahle oil and fuel filters for my Benz Sprinter--they are spec for it and a reliable brand.
Rayvin is offline  
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Site Supporter
Legend
Main Motorcycle: 2008 Bonneville Black
Driftless Admin
 
BonnieBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fountain City, WI
Posts: 10,690
Other Motorcycle: Spousal 2009 Bonnie Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieBlack View Post
But, to bolster your argument if you wish, if you search the K&N website long enough you'll find an FAQ saying not to tighten with the nut. Pretty hidden, I suppose because saying "don't tighten with the nut" is identical to "the nut welded to the filter is defective and we are liable for the failures because we knew it when we sold it".
Then again ...

Another k&n 204 horror story w/Scramber-screen-shot-2018-10-15-at-2-33-18-pm.jpg


That's from https://www.knfilters.co.uk/kn/sport_bikes.htm which has been taken down, but the Google cache of 5/8/2019 shows it.
BonnieBlack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome