Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums (https://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php)
-   Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk (https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/)
-   -   Spray Paint and Clear Coats (https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/79166-spray-paint-and-clear-coats.html)

SCL18 03-07-2008 09:34 PM

Spray Paint and Clear Coats
 
Calling all do it yourself spray painters...I'm painting my Headlight Bucket & Handlebars and could use some advice.

I've Primed (3 coats w/400 or 800 grit inbetween coats) and painted (3-4 coats with High Gloss Black w/800 grit inbetween the first 2 coats) and I now have a good looking 4th coat of High Gloss Black that i could just roll with but i really want these puppies to shine!

1st--Should I hit the High Gloss with a 1500 Grit before i Clear Coat, or should i skip the 1500 and just hit it with Clear Coat?

2nd--When it comes to the Clear Coats (2-3 coats)...should i hit'em with 1500 grit inbetween coats or just polish (Mothers Step 1, 2, & 3) after the final coat has dried?

Thanks,
Steve

Catenaccio 03-07-2008 10:18 PM

Preparation is the key to a fine paint job. Sand before clear and between coats, then color sand. They'll gleam!

SCL18 03-07-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catenaccio (Post 962814)
Preparation is the key to a fine paint job. Sand before clear and between coats, then color sand. They'll gleam!


Whats color sand?

sweatmachine 03-07-2008 10:28 PM

in my experience, spray clearcoats suck. If I get good results with a high-gloss black spray paint I leave it alone, no sand, no buff, no clear.

OKcarburetor 03-07-2008 10:42 PM

what sweat said... spray can clear coats always seem to yellow.

however, if you let the paint cure for a week or so, you can then buff the paint out really well.

SCL18 03-07-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKcarburetor (Post 962838)
what sweat said... spray can clear coats always seem to yellow.

however, if you let the paint cure for a week or so, you can then buff the paint out really well.

From what i've read on both this site, google, and at duplicolor, they claim that the Clear Coat will yellow if it is in direct sunlight before it has cured completely.

I'm leaning towards the clear coat, but i'm still not 100% sold.

nickletooth 03-08-2008 03:14 AM

powder coat it and forget about it.it will look good forever.if you know any one getting some bits done ask if you can send it along with theirs the cost wont be much as part of a batch.

oldroadie 03-08-2008 08:24 AM

Get a black tube of Meguiar's Swirl Remover and a light cut Meguiar's foam buffing wheel. After the black has cured for at least a week, chuck the foam wheel into a 600 rpm drill and polish that black coat. It'll gleam.
For me the secret to a great clear coat was to apply three coats of it while the gloss black was just flashing off so the coats bonded (it wasn't lacquer which melts into any undercoat). Then followed by 1500 grit and the Meguiar's procedure.

REVOLT 03-08-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweatmachine (Post 962826)
in my experience, spray clearcoats suck. If I get good results with a high-gloss black spray paint I leave it alone, no sand, no buff, no clear.

Always yellows and actually reduces the "gloss" to more of a shimer? I agree with Sweat...

REVOLT 03-08-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickletooth (Post 962926)
powder coat it and forget about it.it will look good forever.if you know any one getting some bits done ask if you can send it along with theirs the cost wont be much as part of a batch.

Worth every penny! And will last for a very long time...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome