I just installed Intiminators in my T100.
I decided to set the entire front end up properly once and for all as I suspected the bike had too much sag on it the way it came from the factory. In fact the front was sitting "nose down" with me on it.
Which means I also suspected it had less ground clearance and could drag the pegs in corners or possibly hit the pipes if I leaned it over real far. Not good.
My goal was to get all the travel possible out of the fork as stock you only have about four inches to work with anyway. And you give up an inch for sag. So that means you are riding on at best only three inches of upward travel to soak up potholes. Not much.
Oil level is only part of the factors. Used correctly the deal is that if you overfill it you limit how far the fork can travel and waste some of its movement by stopping too soon before it is fully compressed.
If you take out more oil the fork can move farther before it "bottoms out."
If you take out waaaaay too much oil the front fork will have too much room to move upwards when you hit a bump and you will get either a clunk or a bang when you hit metal to metal.
I left in the stock spacers with my T100 when I installed the new Intiminators. This gave me a sag setting of 28mm with me on the bike using the Racetech method of pulling up and settling and pushing down and settling and averaging the two sag numbers.
I had refilled the tubes with about 20% less oil than stock to get the required result. I am guessing stock there was too much oil in there. And the Intiminators were taking up some extra space so even LESS oil was needed.
At the end of the day it matters most of all to understand WHY you are trying different levels and WHAT you want the fork to do when it hits bumps.
I drained the forks overnight and pumped out all the old thicker oil of course. But I use a slightly different method for measuring how high up the oil level is in each fork tube.
With each cap off I stick a car dipstick down the tube until I touch oil. I make sure each tube is set the same.
Then I change oil levels to make the fork travel increase or decrease. It is easy as all it takes is removing the fork cap a couple of times until the fork gets full travel with no clunk. A turkey baster with an extension tube sucks out the oil if you go too far.
I use tie wraps tied around the tubes to see how far the fork can move. There is a fairly high "speed bump" not far from my house and I use it to test how much the fork can move on potholes. I am getting perfect results hooray hooray!
The pictures show a small but quite noticeable increase in how high the nose sits and how much fork space is showing between the lower triple tree and the lower leg oil seal.
The bike used to sit nose down. Now it is level.
One interesting thing is the book says T100s have 120mm of available fork travel with the oil and springs removed. Mine had only 110 as others have reported.
So four inches is what you have to work with if you squeeze out every last mm.
Boy does the Triumph handle well. I am in love.