Hey everyone. I got the idea to do this switch of gauge housing from another member on here! (Feel free to chime in if that is you with the red scram)
EDIT! Thanks "@Aces high"
. The gauges are from Stanley thermos vacuum jar (17oz)
I just got all the parts today and decided to knock it out this morning.
Parts: Stanley lids, Dremel, drill and drill bits, random switch from hardware store, and whatever you’d like to smooth with.
First I started with marking the holes up with a sharpie to match the OEM cups for the wiring , screws, and excess water relief.
First, I cut off the excess thermal plastic to take it all off of the outside of the housing and then smoothed the edges
Then I used the sharpie points to dremel out the backs for the wiring and drill the holes for the screws
Lastly I gutted the excess out/off of the push switch. I wanted to make this as short as possible by with the only switch I was able to find , the inside couldn’t be taken down as it was extending the whole switch.
Finally I drilled the hole in the side of the cup so the switch just barely fit over the threads to prevent as much leaking in as I can. I loaded the inside of the switch with the same grease I use on my clutch cable because after messing with it, it got really sticky. Lastly I lock tite some washers and nuts on either side.
Finally I fitted both to the bike. The areas that I worked on (especially the first screw hole) are not perfect but luckily they are all very hard to see since everything is underneath in the back. Only part you can see is the switch hole which was done last so I had some practice. The washers on that cover the tiny gap.
I’m no pro at any of this but like when I see cool projects on here to get ideas to try and tackle myself. Hope you all enjoy
I try to post most of these on my Instagram stories of you guys are more interested.