Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Trident cafe racer
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
cavsp3
Site Supporter
Powerbike
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartcf View Post
I suppose my chain guard issue might possibly be tyre-choice related. I'm using a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 180/55 on the rear at the moment. What are you using?

I'm interested to hear you've done the coil stick mod. That's something I was thinking of doing this year. Any hurdles I need to be aware of?
Hi Stuart.......I am running the standard wheels and tyre sizes, so 160/60/18 on the back, Bridgestone 023. That may explain the difference then and why the guard fouls your tyre.

As for the stick coils, dead easy change. using the coils off a 1600 Thunderbird or tt600, daytona 600/650 or Speed 4 and I used the connectors from a yAmaha R6 which are an exact fit to the coils. This was suggested by Greg96brg from this Forum as Yamaha use a separate ignition harness that connects to their main harness whereas the specified Triumph harnesses all coma as one so you have to buy the whole harness just for the connectors. I picked up the Yamaha harness on Ebay for £15 and the coils were £60 for 4. I also sourced some large grommets and cut a hole in the top of the cap so that they fitted around the coil and sealed the hole in the cam cover to prevent water ingress.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome