Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Trident cafe racer
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
cavsp3
Site Supporter
Powerbike
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartcf View Post
Hi cavsp3, yes my bitsa is getting good use now the weather has improved. ;-)

That's the beauty of forums, you get support and inspiration from those that went before. I was helped immensely by what I learned from this forum!

Have you got any piccies of your bike from the left hand side? It looks like you are using CRK components yes?

I wondered if you were using their chain guard. I have it on mine, but found that I had to modify the front mounting bracket as the rear tyre was rubbing against the inside of it during spirited riding!

It caused the front chain guard bracket to fatigue and break off, so I replaced the bracket with one I fabricated that gave me a bit more wiggle room in adjusting clearances. Everything is fine now - the guard is a nicely designed piece of kit.
You're spot on Stuart, yes I have used the CRK components and am using the chain guard but haven't noticed any problems with fouling the tyre. Having said that, I've not done any 'spirited riding, as yet as my ride was purely to test the bike and ensure that everything I had done was working properly, brakes, ignition, forks etc. Also had brand new tyres fitted...hence the embarrassingly wide chicken strips!!!
Also fitted coil sticks from a 650 Daytona and got rid of that whole slew of coils under the tank. Even though you don't see them, they annoyed me whenever I take the tanks off these bikes, terrible design. Can't fault them at all, so easy to fit and wire up to.

I would like to build one like yours too using the Classic tank. Looks great. Big problem for me now is the small CRK tank size of 11 litres. I've just moved to the Highlands. My rides will have to be planned to ensure I can reach petrol stations.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome