Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - TBS winter project checklist and questions
View Single Post
post #103 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
simplyj
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Premium Member

guess I should update this thread even though I've started several others on various topics pertaining to the build. As per my several other threads, the TBS suffered a blown head gasket so will be getting treated to a rebuild to 955 specs and some other upgrades. Due to other projects and family issues, I haven't touched it since mid September, but figured I needed to get a move on it if I want to get it squared away by the spring.

A few months back, I picked up a 955i parts engine and finally got it torn down and the pistons and liners removed. Looks like a coolant leak caused some bearing wear and corrosion in the coolant passages. The pistons, rods, and liners are in good shape with little wear but the liners were a real bitch to remove. Used a tool made from several 3" PVC test plugs, a carriage bolt, and a scrap of 2x4 to remove the plugs. Cost about $15 vs the $250 for the Triumph tool. Due to ton of gunk around the liners, they were very frustrating to get out. I can't explain to you the joy I felt when that first one popped up.

started cleaning up the pistons

got the carbon off and inspected the ring journals for wear

Also, picked up some other parts for the build:
CBR1000rr Tokico monobloc calipers
NRC tail light
Daytona 3-1 header

Now I need to remove and tear down the 885 engine, inspect the crankshaft and get the measurements for the correct color code replacement bearings then get the upper crankcase to the machine shop to accept the 955 liners.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome