Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

D600 New Stator & R/R Installation

30K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  SpecialVeloce 
#1 · (Edited)
So from my previous posts my stator had failed whilst riding
D600 Stator Failed

and inquired on the best connection methods for the stator
Stator Best connection

So I ended up purchasing the SH847AA from Bike Bandit, (exchange rate from AUD sucks), anyway 4 days later I had it in my hand Very happy with delivery.

And I had my previous stator rewound locally, also very happy with the results.

So I started stripping the bike down to complete the swap R/R and Stator and decided all new 12g wire Soldered and shrinked.

After removing the stator cover I saw why my bike stopped charging (what a mess), look at the difference between old and new.

The new SH847AA R/R it is a little LARGER than the FH020AA but not too much of an issue (longer, wider, fatter).

So started with the new 12 gauge wiring harness, stator soldered/shrinked direct to R/R and R/R direct to Battery

With the installation I re- installed in the original location with a new aluminium mounting plate,

Once all re-connected i started it up and was very surprised with the results:

1. idle w/lights on 14.1volts

2. rpm @ 4000 = 14.5volts

As I was testing this on a D600 i was unsure if this R/R would keep regulation higher RPM’s so with careful monitoring give it a high constant rev and also some quick throttle bursts and was very happy with the outcome.

10,000 rpm = 14.5 volts
Bursts sat at a constant 14.5 volts

Throttle response was a great improvement and very crisp… now just waiting to take it for a test ride tomorrow..

* Please note the SH775 will not keep regulation with theses bike (I also tested it) **

Andrew

See less See more
#3 ·
I lowered my mounting point when I installed mine, but its an FH unit.What advantage does the SH have over the FH, higher RPM regulation?

#4 · (Edited)
As the the SH847AA R/R is a little larger than the FH020AA I opted to put the R/R back in the original location, made a new mounting bracket and lowered the sitting position of it and is now sitting nicely in position.

Day6
but its an FH unit.What advantage does the SH have over the FH, higher RPM regulation?
The SH847AA is a series R/R which is different from the SCR & FH R/R. Our Bike have a issue to go though stators and so i am hoping this R/R will keep it happier longer.

DEcosse has a good right up about it here:

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade

Well So far very happy with it , over the next few days i will be testing it out, but so far looks like it will handle regulation in our high revving bikes

#6 ·
Per your post on the S3 forum, it goes to red-line and remains in regulation which is outstanding :party news, vs the SH775 or Compufire, neither of which seems to control well on the higher rpm 4's above about 10K

.... The SH847AA is a series R/R which is different from the SCR FH R/R.
Perhaps you just missed an '&' there between SCR & FH - it reads like FH is SCR, which of course they are not, they are MOSFET - however still Shunt, whereas the 847 is Series so quite different in operation to EITHER Shunt type, whether SCR or MOSFET

#13 · (Edited)
YES a good "known" upgrade.

Although it is still a "SHUNT" type R/R and will do nothing to prolong the life if the stator.

The SH847AA R/R is a SERIES R/R which rather than shunting the load bat to the stator (ie, creating heat) the SH847AA R/R disconnects from the stator.
As our bikes have a HIGH stator failure rate, I decided to try out the SH847AA R/R and now I believe an overall better choice.

#14 ·
For ease of install, I ended up going with the Rick's Motorsports 'hot shots(z?)' R/R that is plug and play. It was immediately apparent that the OEM R/R was the problem as my charging is now up to 14V+ when revved, and ~13.8V at idle.

#17 ·
So I've been talking with Jack at roadster cycle.com. He sells kits for many different R/Rs including mosfets and the SH775.

I accidentally bought the SH775 from him as he has never had anyone with a problem with them. And I thought I would be okay.

Of course with my luck the bike I have (TT600) doesn't like those R/R's

He has already ordered a bunch of the SH847AAs and may be making kits for them soon!
It surprised me that he didn't know where to find them, but thanks to everyone here for informing me to inform him about this great R/R.

Learning a lot! ��

#24 ·
Fork out and get the series R/R, seriously.

My bike had a shunt R/R put in by a previous owner when they upgraded the whole charging circuit. The stator burned out after about 17,000KMs, which is about how long the stock R/R and stator lasted. I now have a series R/R and it's still going strong after about 5,000KMs ish, and I hope to get 3 times that again, at least, out of it.

Changing stators and such is an easy job, but doing it more regularly because you wanted to save money or use what's "recommended by racers" is a bit naff if you ask me. Plus, they're pretty pricey parts, best off just forking out a bit more to begin with, and have the whole thing last much, much longer.

#28 · (Edited)
Lets not divert the direction of this post, as it is about installing the new SH847AA SERIES R/R into a Daytona 600. (which no one had completed or tested) at the time of this orginal post.

There are many posts on this forum stating on how the mosfet R/R is a great upgrade from the stock R/R and I also had a FH020 installed untill this SH847AA upgrade experiment.

Please Lets keep this post on the topics subject which is installing a new Stator and the new SH847AA series R/R.

Thanks

#29 ·
I can attest that stators still burn out quickly with the Hotshot RR. I will be ordering the SH847AA to use on my Speed Four.

I replaced the RR with a HotShot from Rick's Motorsport when the OEM stator went. I have now fried the third stator in less than four years since that update. I run my bike on the track a lot, and in those situations have all lights removed from the bike, so the RR is shunting a lot of power. After the second one of the Rick's stators went they suggested I try connecting up some high power resistors to draw some load. I got a couple of the 6 amp resistors that are used with LED lighting, and was running them off my tail light plug, but the latest stator only lasted 14 months.

I am hoping that the SH847AA, along with a special heavy duty wind that Rick's Motorsport made for me, will let stator replacement be a thing of the past. Thanks for doing the testing on it and confirming it does work with the four cylinder bikes.

If anyone else wants to try the special stator, they listed it on the invoice as "21-001; New OEM Style Triumph Stator Special wind w/ High Temp Wire".

#35 ·
Hi again Andrew
Looks like I'm up for this now.
Bike bandit now sell the Ricks stators
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...ors/rick-s-motorsport-electric-stator?m=17663
can't really tell if it's the same as the one direct but it is the same price.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-OEM-Style-Triumph-Stator-21_001
Exchange rate still sucks but it seems that it is probably the best option as even wreckers want quite a bit for these parts, and buying them together casts the same in delivery.

Anyway what I really wanted to know is the cables. Which way did you go.
I may just solder them for now but there seems to be a few variations available. Does the new replacement OEM adapter cable just fit.

Thanks, Greg

#41 ·
Hi again Andrew
Looks like I'm up for this now.
Bike bandit now sell the Ricks stators
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...ors/rick-s-motorsport-electric-stator?m=17663
can't really tell if it's the same as the one direct but it is the same price.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-OEM-Style-Triumph-Stator-21_001
Exchange rate still sucks but it seems that it is probably the best option as even wreckers want quite a bit for these parts, and buying them together casts the same in delivery.
Looks like Rick's is no longer making the D600 stators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.