Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Dazed and Confused...

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  BMK9251 
#1 ·
Hey all, how's it going? Well I've had my 2010 Tbird for almost a year now and I've put about 5k miles on it...and you know what...I'm bored.

I'm no more than a day rider. My girlfriend has no interest in riding with me, which I'm cool with. And when I see something like a Bonneville, Thruxton or the show Cafe' Racer...I get real excited.

So I've been thinking;

Do I sell the Tbird and get me a bike like that?

Who here has felt this way, or gone in this direction?

Who here has a cruiser and a throw back, and if so - which one do you like better?

I like riding, I like it a lot. However the longest I'm riding is maybe 3 hours in a day...tops once was 5 and that was with a lot of stops.

Anyway, chime in and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

cya

See less See more
#2 ·
Life's too short to ride a bike that bores you (though I admit I'm at loss as to how riding a TBird can be boring, but that's me). I vote sell/trade it and get what you truly want.

#4 ·
Thats easy!! Buy a Thruxton!

I have both. I'll admit, when I bought the Bird I figured I'd sell the Thrux...but I just can't! So different, so unique, and just so damn hard to get rid of!! So now they both sit where I can stare at them when deciding on which one to ride.

I agree with RC65 - how can thrashing the Bird around be boring?

#5 ·
I bought a T100 a little over a year ago and liked it so much I went out and bought a Tbird. The T100 was an absolute blast to ride and I wish I could have kept both. I decided that if I could only have one, it would be the Tbird. With the Tbird I can have fun going on short rides into the country but I am also comfortable riding 4-6 hours a day. I rode the T100 five hours a day on several occasions and did fine, but would rather spend that time something a little more comfortable. So a lot depends on the kind of riding you do. I love the Tbird but I sure do miss the T100. For pure fun, that was the best bike I ever owned. For all around, the Tbird fits the bill for me.
The only warning I can give you is beware, this may be one of those situations where whichever bike you own, you're going to wish you had the other.

#9 ·
I'm not sure how the Thunderbird can be boring. It has gobs of power, handles great, and is equally at home on a 35 mph 10 minute ride, or an all day ride at highway speeds. I guess I'm just not understanding why you aren't happy on a 3 hour ride. The Bird is perfect for that.

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I like what DayCruiser said, get a new GF. LOL. I think I need to get an additional bike, a Thruxton or a Bonnie.

It's just like me and my cars. I'll trade them in every year to two years because I get bored with them. Want something new and exciting.

I rode into work today on Tbird...and you all are right, how could I be bored, it's a sweet ride.

I think what it is, is that I HARDLY ever ride with other people. I'm always a lone wolf. Can't get schedules straight with friends.

Thanks again for the feedback and wake up calls.

#11 ·
Boredom is a state of mind. Don't throw out a really good bike while under the voodoo spell of boredom. There is no law in Virginia that I know about that keeps a rider from having TWO (or more) motorcycles. Try to find yourself a good poker ride for a good charity or just plain fun. Take a trip to somewhere you have been meaning to ride. Take along a camera so you can refresh your mind with the sites you saw. You might look up a few local, small motorcycle events in your area. Most motorcyclists do not bite, nor do they have rabies. Hell, a lot of them are just plain friendly and like to ride too. It is always nice to meet some new folks who share your enjoyment of the ride. I would put a little less stock in continuing to buy new things as a means to relieve boredom and spend more time finding out what you really enjoy doing, and then do it. Some of the best solo rides I have had were where I had just an inkling where I wanted to go, no specific time table and took time to smell the roses, sights and sounds and meeting new people, resting when I felt like it and riding with the wind wherever it carried me. My sense is you have a pretty good, powerful and comfortable motorcycle and to throw it out might result in a little regret. The Thunderbird for me is a keeper, and I do not find many of these motorycles that I want to keep long term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.