Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Feedback requested.
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
paulfun
Formula Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
Like many, I am considering moving up from my beloved Speedmaster to a Thunderbird. I have located a coupled used 2010 models that seem reasonably priced appear in very good shape and have low miles (3,000-4,000). My wife likes the idea of getting a new bike simply because she loves the Red Marble Haze paint (as do I). Here's my dilemma: I am 2 hours from the nearest Triumph dealer. Do I get the new bike and risk hauling it for warranty work or save the money, get a used model and fix it myself should anything go wrong?
What I am looking for is experiences with your 'Birds. I've read about antifreeze leaks, premature drive belt failures and mysterious engine noise. I'm thinking that if these failures tend to occur early in the operating hours of the bike, I may actually benefit from buying a used machiine. On the other hand, getting the bike I want is more important than saving a little $.
You thoughts?
keep the wife happy!! Letting her pick the color is a small price to pay for having your other half support the purchase of a new toy!
besides 2 hours is actually an enjoyable ride, and it seems many dealerships will give you a loaner bike if yours is in for service.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome